Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
This was my first look at Simonise. Have to say I was a little disappointed as he only did a 4.76 forty and 7 on the bench. Then in the one on ones he looked rather ordinary, couldn't get open and couldn't hold onto the ball in tight coverage. A lot of poorly thrown balls IMO didn't help though. Hope he's not another Devon Bailey.

Mark Chapman and Daniel Petermann both look like they're the real deal. Regis Cibasu was a no show? I didn't see him at all.
I read somewhere that Cibasu declined the invitation due to school commitments.

Still have heard no word on why either of O-linemen Brown (Western) & Cherry (Acadia) - both have made the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 list - were not at the Combine ?

Have to think Shepley & Pickett improved their stock at the Combine - both put up strong bench #s and both are massive pro size (Pickett at 6-3, 315 range is classic pro guard size these days and that is where his experience is with Guelph - he might be the best pro ready OG in this crop, unless one of Hunter, Rutherford or Godber - none worked out at this Combine - grade out better?) Shepley might have passed Knevel (Nebraksa) as the best OT in this class - but Knevel has the Div I resume and 6-9 frame that CFL scouts will favor, Who knows if either will get CFL shots at OT ? - all of these O-linemen in a deep crop might be just viewed as interior O-linemen by the CFL "scouts" ?

Simonise may have only ran a 4.76 forty but his 6-5 frame and some very explosive jumping #s, plus a top score in the 3 cone must have impressed some scouts. If this guy can learn to run good routes in the pros and show good hands, the 40 time won't matter - as Fantuz (4.9 range 40 at his CFL Combine) - should have proved to myopic scouts who are more in love with testing # than they are impressed by football players.

Petermann i had as an under the radar type for this draft, but his outstanding Combine results will have changed that. His ex-Mac team-mate Vandervoort went 3rd overall last year, but Petermann has a quite superior set of athletic testing#s and as good receiving production at Mac. Still think Chapman and Simonise will be the first 2 receivers picked, but Petermann could be a real steal in the 2nd to mid rounds maybe ?