Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
The proud Scottish heritage has been eliminated...erased really. Pretty sad that faculty and even the students were in favour of this change is worrisome.

I hope the new “improved “ name does not confuse or offend anyone.
If SFU goes ahead with a name such as Highlanders, which is being considered as noted above, at least the links to the Scottish tradition will be kept. My oldest son was on the SFU swim team years ago. They wore kilts and had a bagpipe playing to the opening ceremonies of swimming championships to celebrate the universities Scottish roots. It definitely made them stand out amongst all the teams. Everybody soon knew who they were. Swimming is a predominantly white sport, so there were virtually no questions about the Clan being connected to the Ku Klux Klan, especially with SFU having usually having more non-white swimmers (usually of Asian descent, including my son who is half Filipino) than the vast majority of American teams.

Incidentally, the New York Highlanders was the name of baseball's New York Yankees until 1913. I understand that team didn't too badly over its history.