Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Former Argo Scott Milanovich Could Be in Super Bowl

Milanovich, who is Jacksonville's QB coach, is one win away from being in the Super Bowl. Whether or not he saw the handwriting on the wall, and signed with the Jaguars three days after Barker was fired, or was aching to join the NFL as soon as possible, or both, I wish him the best of luck in the playoffs despite my having mixed feelings on his time as Argos HC.

When interviewing with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Scott Milanovich was asked why he'd want to give up the Toronto Argonauts' head-coaching job to become the NFL club's quarterback coach. The answer was simple: To win a Super Bowl.
    Milanovich and the upstart Jaguars find themselves one win away from the NFL title game. On Sunday, they visit the five-time champion New England Patriots for the AFC championship. "I always knew I wanted to be a coach and that [winning the Super Bowl] is something I've always dreamed of," Milanovich said during a telephone interview this week. "Hopefully it can happen in a few weeks but there's still plenty to do."
    He left [the Argos] just three days after GM Jim Barker was fired. "There was uncertainty there with regards to the GM and a lot of things," Milanovich said. "This was a very good job and while my daughters might argue, it wasn't a major move for the family.
    "I just felt like when the call came ... it was time to give this a shot. It was almost like the perfect storm, I guess." ...
    It's also been a rejuvenation this season for Jacksonville's Blake Bortles. Once ranked among the NFL's worst quarterbacks, the 2014 third overall pick elevated his game dramatically this year, registering career bests in fewest interceptions (13) and passing percentage (60.2). With an improved Bortles under centre, the NFL's best rushing attack and second-ranked defence, Jacksonville won the AFC West with a 10-6 record after finishing 3-13 last year. Instead of having to carry the Jaguars, Bortles' responsibility has been executing the gameplan and playing smart.
    "Running the ball on first and second down simplifies to some degree what you're going to see and get regarding matchups," Milanovich said. "If they're going to load up the box against you, that means there's less people in the secondary to defend.
    "To me, it really simplifies what you're able to do as far as taking shots down the field, being aggressive and able to get one-on-ones. Blake's good at play action, he's a good ball faker, he's good under centre so all of those things really fit into his skillset right now." ...
    Milanovich said his CFL head-coaching experience has helped him become a better assistant coach. "I think I understand what the co-ordinator is going through, I understand to some degree what the head coach is going through," he said. "I think I'm in a better position now knowing what I know to support them and do right by them as an assistant.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cf...oach-1.4491686

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I doubt that the Jaguars will knock off the Patriots. Belichick will not allow it.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I doubt that the Jaguars will knock off the Patriots. Belichick will not allow it.
    Unless he's so pissed off at Brady and Kraft that he doesn't bring his A game to the coaching table.

It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I have a funny feeling the Pats are ripe for an upset. The road just seems too easy for them this year.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    "Blake has been great, he's very coachable," Milanovich said. "But listen, I'm not taking credit for him.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Milanovich almost missed the XFL championship due to the birth of his child but in pure WWE style, he was flown in a private helicopter at the last minute and made it just in time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I am pulling for Milanovich and hope the Jags can upset the Pats. It would be a good storyline. Pats have been so good that it becomes almost boring.

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    I am pulling for Milanovich and hope the Jags can upset the Pats. It would be a good storyline. Pats have been so good that it becomes almost boring.
    I do not agree that Milanovich has had any impact on Bortles quarterback play. Looking at Bortles numbers versus last year, he has only throw 3 fewer interceptions on roughly a 100 fewer attempts.

Safe to say, Bortles is more Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer Type of QB - score 13 points, and hoping your defense pulls it out for you.

All the praise on the NFL network, is for their OC Nathaniel Hackett and play/scheme design, or the Jaguars vaunted defense.

I hope one day the Argos are so dominant; that they become "boring".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilz View Post
    I do not agree that Milanovich has had any impact on Bortles quarterback play. Looking at Bortles numbers versus last year, he has only throw 3 fewer interceptions on roughly a 100 fewer attempts.

Safe to say, Bortles is more Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer Type of QB - score 13 points, and hoping your defense pulls it out for you.

All the praise on the NFL network, is for their OC Nathaniel Hackett and play/scheme design, or the Jaguars vaunted defense.

There's nothing wrong with not liking Milanovich -- lots of otherwise smart people around here seem to fall into that camp -- but I'm having a hard time seeing how a QB coach doesn't have any influence on the starting QB. Are you saying if there had been no QB coach at all, Bortles would have had exactly the same season he had? QBs in the NFL spend a lot of time with their position coaches. Has to be some influence happening, for better or worse.

As for Bortles being a 13-points/count-on-the-defence type, that may not be all that far off, but it would be an easier case to make if he hadn't just helped his team score 45 points in a playoff game where his defence gave up 42.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

That was in 1996 1997 when they were dominatley boring! 😀

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with not liking Milanovich -- lots of otherwise smart people around here seem to fall into that camp -- but I'm having a hard time seeing how a QB coach doesn't have any influence on the starting QB. Are you saying if there had been no QB coach at all, Bortles would have had exactly the same season he had? QBs in the NFL spend a lot of time with their position coaches. Has to be some influence happening, for better or worse.

As for Bortles being a 13-points/count-on-the-defence type, that may not be all that far off, but it would be an easier case to make if he hadn't just helped his team score 45 points in a playoff game where his defence gave up 42.
    Paul with all due respect, the conscious decision for the Jaguars Brass, was to turn Bortles into a game manager rather that a game winner.

Drafting Fournette, giving him 275+ plus carries, and making Bortles throw less - are all indicators in having the QB play a secondary role.

Milanovich isn't a Trestman type savant for QB's. Heck Trestman has done it with Gannon and Cutler, along with Ray.

The "recency" effect theory is also quite popular among these parts - need I remind you of Bortles vs Buffalo who scored 1 measly TD, and ran for more yards than he passed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level

Good or bad; the CFL is never boring

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Paul with all due respect, the conscious decision for the Jaguars Brass, was to turn Bortles into a game manager rather that a game winner.

Drafting Fournette, giving him 275+ plus carries, and making Bortles throw less - are all indicators in having the QB play a secondary role.

Milanovich isn't a Trestman type savant for QB's. Heck Trestman has done it with Gannon and Cutler, along with Ray.

The "recency" effect theory is also quite popular among these parts - need I remind you of Bortles vs Buffalo who scored 1 measly TD, and ran for more yards than he passed.
    I never said Bortles was a star. I did say it's silly to suggest his position coach has no influence on him. The "recency effect" theory is certainly no worse than the "Milanovich couldn't possibly be a good coach even in another league" theory, which is what "he has no influence" seems to suggest. If the conscious decision was made to turn Bortles into a game manager, who do you suppose the Jags are relying on to be the primary influencer on his ability to achieve that? Even "game managers" need to be coached.

As for Bortles, he led his team to an impressive TD on a drive to score a TD in the fourth quarter, immediately after Pit had scored to make it a seven-point game. The Steelers had all the momentum and a loud building. The Jags -- helped in large measure by two outstanding reads and throws Bortles made -- shut them up and seized the momentum right back. Is the guy gonna ever make the Pro Bowl? Probably not. Does he have the potential to QB his team to this year's Super Bowl? Looks as if he might.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level

Agreed -Bortles did not look good at all against Buffalo; but gotta give him some credit for a good game against the Steelers; IMO he has an average at best QB skill-set and more likely quite sub-par for the NFL. Next game is a huge opportunity for him to make a real name for himself ...

... cause the NFL and a lot of their fans love to hero-worship the QB position, and often give wayyyyy to much credit or blame ( whatever suits best), and the notion that a Super Bowl winning QB is some sure sign of greatness is laughable at times IMO. Some just gotta proclaim Tom Brady the GOAT (all-time ? - maybe i guess, but IMO there are NFL QBs with more all-around talent than him - Joe Montana for one, and Aaron Rodgers among current NFL QBs)

Love to see the Jags upset the Patriots (led by Bellichick/cheat - who IMO much more deserves the GOAT tag - for NFL HCs); I would not be betting on the Jags here, but I'm like Paul in thinking an upset is quite do-able.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    If Brady plays, I'll take the Patriots by 3 touchdowns.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Although I think it is still highly unlikely, it is no longer impossible that Brady could miss the game. As the video below shows he was holding his right throwing hand after a collision with a teammate in practice. He has been put on the injury report and missed the press conference because he was being treated for the injury. Again I think he will almost certainly be playing, but even if he does, it could affect his passing. Their backup QB is Brian Hoyer.

Dianna Russini joins ESPN's SportsCenter to discuss the latest on Tom Brady's injury and when they may hear from him next.
    https://www.tsn.ca/nfl/video/brady-s...onship~1306189

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Agree, would love to see the Jags win but don’t see it happening.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I enjoyed this Milanovich interview. As I recall, it's the first interview in which he's provided some insight into what he actually thinks, therefore it's a refreshing novelty.

Scotty, please do go ahead and win that Super Bowl (bonus, in particular, being elimination of next opponent).

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Make it to the Super Bowl, but lose in the Super Bowl...

To a certain team...

That wears purple.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's a full update on how the Tom Brady injury occurred Wednesday, how it caused him to miss Thursday practice and limited his subsequent participation and what the situation is now considering that the Patriots are providing little information. The Patriots still have to be favourites but any potential limitation of his skills increases the Jaguars and Milanovich's chances.

It's now been three days since Tom Brady injured his right hand in practice, and just like any injury in New England, the Patriots have been tight-lipped about how serious things may or may not be with their star quarterback. However, that doesn't mean some details haven't slipped out. ...

Brady's hand was apparently a bloody mess after the injury occurred on Wednesday. According to NFL.com, Brady's right hand was "gushing blood" after it somehow got bent back and mangled while he was attempting to hand the ball off to a Patriots running back. ...
    The injury was ugly enough that Brady had to get four stitches somewhere on his right hand, although no one seems to know exactly where those stitches were placed since Brady has been wearing a glove on his right hand all week (at least one report has indicated the stitches are on his knuckle, while others have indicated the stitches might be closer to the webbing between his thumb. ...

The one thing we do know is that the injury was serious enough that it kept Brady out of practice for most of the week. After being a limited participant in Wednesday's practice, the Patriots quarterback sat out Thursday's practice before returning as a limited participant in Friday's practice. The one thing we don't know is if Brady was actually productive during practice when he returned. Brady held a press conference on Friday and refused to answer any questions about his hand. ...
    Brady also refused to answer any questions about whether or not he even threw a single football pass at Friday's practice session. ...
    With the thumb injury keeping him completely out of one practice and limited in two other sessions, the Patriots officially listed him as questionable for Sunday's AFC Championship game against Jacksonville. ...

Although we don't know if the injury has hindered Brady's throwing ability, Patriots fans will be happy to hear that that everything actually seems fine in that department. According to NFL.com, Brady was able to zing the ball pretty well in practice on Friday, which seems to indicate that he hasn't lost any zip on his passes. ...

How does the injury affect the outlook for Sunday?

Brady is one of the most competitive human beings on Earth, so you have to figure he's going to play, despite the fact that he's been listed as questionable.
    The big question, though, is whether or not he'll actually be effective. Even oddsmakers in Las Vegas seem unsure about what's going to happen in the AFC title game. Although the Patriots opened as a 9-point favorite at most books, the point spread has done a 1.5-point freefall since Wednesday due to Brady's injury and the Patriots are now favored by just 7.5.
    There is one giant downside to the injury, though. According to Tom Curran of NBC Boston, Brady has only been taking shotgun snaps because the team doesn't want to risk aggravating the injury. If that's the case, it wouldn't be crazy to see the Patriots go nearly all shotgun on Sunday, because there's no way they'd want to risk Brady re-injuring his thumb or having his stitches rip open on national television and potentially turning into a bloody mess.
    The one thing Brady's thumb could do is affect his accuracy. Since the Patriots quarterback has been wearing gloves in practice all week, it wouldn't be a shock to see him wear one on his right hand for Sunday's game. If that happens, well, let's just say Brady's not a fan of wearing a glove on his throwing hand.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...efore-kickoff/