Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    14-3 Jacksonville half way through the second quarter with some plays looking similar to Milanovich's Argo offence. Brady just sacked on third down.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    14-10 Jags at the half. One thing I hate in the NFL is that with 32 seconds left is that after downing the ball, the Jags walk off the field because they can run out the clock and don't even have execute a play to end the half. It's a minor issue but it still annoys me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jags gave it their best shot but came up short in 24-20, playing a little too conservative by not passing on first down during much of the third quarter and throughout the fourth until they lost the lead IIRQ.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    At least the Jags were in it
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    At least the Jags were in it

I just don't get coaching in football at times - wayyyy to much reliance on same old, standard look - in this case the defensive "strategy" of the Jags. They have a pretty good defence but it just did not make many plays in this big game - aside from one nice strip/fumble recovery - where were the pass knock-downs by DBs OR INTs or tipped balls by D-linemen ?; and the Patriots with Brady are a mostly pass offence and it was clear they were going all pass in the 2nd half when they were trailing; yet the Jags stuck almost exclusively with their standard 4-3 look and same D-line (with no rotation = they were slowed/tired in the 2nd half) and the lack of pass rush gave a smart veteran QB all day for the most part to find receivers ??? (they did blitz a linebacker once in the 2nd half and Brady got hit hard and the pass was incomplete). Late in the game when you need to make plays and get pressure on a pass only QB - why not put in your 5 best pass rushers and let them tee off and then play your 6 best cover DBs behind them? - the linebackers were doing zero.

Sure - give credit to the Patriots - sharpcoaching and a smart, poised QB to find a way for another comeback in a big-game; but IMO a lot of their big success has been helped by coaching dumbness & predictability on the other side; the SB wins over the Falcons (coulda easily set-up a late FG to go up 2 scores and it would have been game over) and the Seahawks (throw a gift game ending pick near the goal line when they had a powerful back who likely scores in 2 tries) - real stupid coaching. The Jags D late game yesterday was also dumb as a plank & predictable.

But at least Scott M should maybe get some credit for a fairly diverse Jags offence and getting a lot out of a limited talent QB like Bortles; I thought they had some smart plays and a diverse offence in the first half anyways; Bortles maybe could not be expected to make big drives or complete deep balls late in the game - but the Patriots DBs actually made some plays - like pass knockdowns.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Bortles is a playmaker, not a passer. He can't consistently hit throws downfield unless their running game is working. When the Pats shut down Fournette in the 2nd half, Bortles was rendered ineffective. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut in the off-season.

Though I think the biggest turning point was the Jags letting the Pats convert that 3rd and 18.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Bortles is a playmaker, not a passer. He can't consistently hit throws downfield unless their running game is working. When the Pats shut down Fournette in the 2nd half, Bortles was rendered ineffective. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut in the off-season.

Though I think the biggest turning point was the Jags letting the Pats convert that 3rd and 18.

Bortles is also a pretty decent running QB - and they did not use that weapon in the 1st half; so why not have a couple of designed or option QB run plays for the 2nd half - to maybe get some 1st downs to get a 2nd half score or keep the ball away from Brady ? Their offence was predictable and easy to stop without a good passing QB in the 2nd half = again, IMO - lack of coaching smarts & diversity.

And their vaunted D had plenty of chances to make plays in the 2nd half - a knockdown or two or a pick by the DBs - but they did nothing basically.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    How in the world does Bortles have a $19 million option for next season ?
    That's a lot of money for a crappy QB, and Jacksonville may figure that out as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    That's a lot of money for a crappy QB, and Jacksonville may figure that out as well.
    Great question for which I have no answer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    That's the going rate for even low end vet starting QB's. Tyrod Taylor is around the same. To franchise a QB would cost around $24M now. The Redskins have franchised Cousins each of the last 2 years to the tune of about $46M in total. He's ok, but I wouldn't call him elite. Bortles has more playoff victories than he does.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'd love to be able to ask Scott M - in private; doubt he would answer in a public forum, and can't blame him - since he has seen - lots / up close and worked with, both Bortles and Ricky Ray - who is the better QB talent - and get to hear his honest answer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I'd love to be able to ask Scott M - in private; doubt he would answer in a public forum, and can't blame him - since he has seen - lots / up close and worked with, both Bortles and Ricky Ray - who is the better QB talent - and get to hear his honest answer.
    If given such an opportunity, would you call him Scotty M, and rip him to shreds for cutting four receivers at once?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If given such an opportunity, would you call him Scotty M, and rip him to shreds for cutting four receivers at once?
    Of course not: I'd bow down at his feet, to kiss the ground he walks on, and then apologize for every infidel here who dared to question anything this football gawd did while running the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    IMO Ricky Ray is a more accurate deep ball passer than Bortles, and probably a more accurate passer than most of the NFL guys. But because of the tight windows in the NFL he probably doesn't have the zip on the ball to be as successful down there as he is in the CFL. Now is a short pass guy to open receivers that set up the occasional deep ball. I think Scott would agree on that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Of course not: I'd bow down at his feet, to kiss the ground he walks on, and then apologize for every infidel here who dared to question anything this football gawd did while running the Argos.
    Ok, good to know you wouldn't say go his face what you've said behind the cloak of anonymity.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Ok, good to know you wouldn't say go his face what you've said behind the cloak of anonymity.

What are you - some kind of tough guy? Why don't you re-invent these fan forums in your own self-righteous image pal - you could have your own forum where you are the head of Thought Police and everybody who registers to comment would have to provide valid photo ID and swear their opinions are valid in your court of law?

IF i ever got to meet the guy in private and could see he was open to a frank discussion on his CFL time and experience, I would gladly tell him my opinions of things such as standard, same old CFL offence he favors, or the moron trades or cutting 4 receivers at once. Very doubtful that is ever going to happen though, right? You could ask him for me when you meet him. I'll send you my name & address and you can tell Scotty to come and look me up to go at it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Little bit of irony there I think. BTW I saw a guy when I was at a Ottawa game a couple of years ago I think was OV. Looked like a pretty tough dude.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Little bit of irony there I think. BTW I saw a guy when I was at a Ottawa game a couple of years ago I think was OV. Looked like a pretty tough dude.
    No irony whatsoever. If you are implying I am also hiding behind the cloak of anonymity, perhaps you should take note that my signature reveals precisely who I am. My username is my real name, with a (lucky) number appended to it. Anyone who wants to find the real me can do so in two seconds. How many other posters, here or elsewhere, can make that claim?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    What are you - some kind of tough guy? Why don't you re-invent these fan forums in your own self-righteous image pal - you could have your own forum where you are the head of Thought Police and everybody who registers to comment would have to provide valid photo ID and swear their opinions are valid in your court of law?

IF i ever got to meet the guy in private and could see he was open to a frank discussion on his CFL time and experience, I would gladly tell him my opinions of things such as standard, same old CFL offence he favors, or the moron trades or cutting 4 receivers at once. Very doubtful that is ever going to happen though, right? You could ask him for me when you meet him. I'll send you my name & address and you can tell Scotty to come and look me up to go at it.
    Great answer, as expected.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    No irony whatsoever. If you are implying I am also hiding behind the cloak of anonymity, perhaps you should take note that my signature reveals precisely who I am. My username is my real name, with a (lucky) number appended to it. Anyone who wants to find the real me can do so in two seconds. How many other posters, here or elsewhere, can make that claim?

How do we know this is your real name?; and could you please provide your home address, phone # and some personal references; just in case we need to follow up on some discussions here.