Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
Steve Simmons wrote today that Toronto FC pays out $26 million in salaries while the team they are playing Saturday night, the New England Revolution, have a total payroll of $6 million. I don't understand how the MLS has such a payroll discrepancy as that. I can't imagine that the league would be able to stay alive if every team spent like Toronto FC does. Further, I can't see how TFC makes any money but I guess that MLSE is okay with that.
TFC doesn't make money. Forbes projected the MLS team lost US$12M in 2016 with player salaries increasing since then...while the media sets its hair on fire if the 144-yr-old Argos supposedly loses C$2M or $5M?

MLS teams have relied on huge franchise expansion fees to bolster their bottom lines but that ship will soon have sailed. TFC will have to massively cut expenses if they ever hope to break even. The Blue Jays lose about US$40M per season, on average, but nobody likes to talk about that. Ted Rogers admitted in a MacLeans article said he'd lost US$300M in the first 8-years of BJ's owernship.