Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    not sure what to make with this new president.

He is 100% tfc and as such can he even treat both teams fairly or will the argos be the red headed stepchild of mlse and tfc the always favoured pampered rich boys?

time will tell.
    As it stands right now, the Argos are not losing as much money as TFC. Given that, my hope is MLSE purchased the Argos because they are convinced there is potential for significant profit. It's evident Rogers didn't get in on the Argos out of the goodness of their hearts. With that in mind, MLSE is sure to put at least some kind of effort in enhancing the presence of the Argos at BMO.

Why would an organization buy a team just to alienate it? I'm no expert on this stuff but it just doesn't make any sense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I can't see Manning coming on board just to treat the Argos as second fiddle. He has experience with the Philadelphia Eagles and I beleive the Houston Astros so he's not just a soccer guy.

So with the Argos not just being 100% under the same ownership as TFC, but also under the same management, I'm hoping BMO becomes more dual branded over time. Upgrade the Grey Cup banners, one per championship would be nice...might as do it this year since we're raising another one!

Have our merchandise discount work in stadium and up it to 15%, which TFC SHTs get too.

Schedule is be best in years so I'm confident MLSE will run the Argos first class like their other brands.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Hard to see how putting someone who is a player within MLSE in charge of the Argos could be a bad thing. If Rogers agreed to buy in just to keep Tanenbaum happy or some other ulterior motive, maybe they'd be unenthusiastic about the whole thing, but it seems pretty clear MLSE sees the Argos as a brand worth nurturing. And as I've written before, even Richard Peddie, who opposed MLSE buying the Argos, believed the team could make a $1M profit as part of the conglomerate. I have to believe MLSE has now figured out that an extra $1M profit is not a bad thing to go after.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    And as I've written before, even Richard Peddie, who opposed MLSE buying the Argos, believed the team could make a $1M profit as part of the conglomerate. I have to believe MLSE has now figured out that an extra $1M profit is not a bad thing to go after.
    And as I've written before, that was before the new TV contract (which took a much bigger chunk out of expenses) thus making that million or so projected profit likely to be much larger.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    I can't see Manning coming on board just to treat the Argos as second fiddle. He has experience with the Philadelphia Eagles and I beleive the Houston Astros so he's not just a soccer guy.

So with the Argos not just being 100% under the same ownership as TFC, but also under the same management, I'm hoping BMO becomes more dual branded over time. Upgrade the Grey Cup banners, one per championship would be nice...might as do it this year since we're raising another one!

Have our merchandise discount work in stadium and up it to 15%, which TFC SHTs get too.

Schedule is be best in years so I'm confident MLSE will run the Argos first class like their other brands.
    Just an FYI the Argonauts already have one banner per Grey Cup championship.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    And as I've written before, that was before the new TV contract (which took a much bigger chunk out of expenses) thus making that million or so projected profit likely to be much larger.
    The other thing that's changed, of course, is the stadium. Depending on how much rent was being paid to Rogers and how much is paid now, there's further potential for better financials. It totally makes sense for Rogers to want to be part of this.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The other thing that's changed, of course, is the stadium. Depending on how much rent was being paid to Rogers and how much is paid now, there's further potential for better financials. It totally makes sense for Rogers to want to be part of this.
    Don't forget that BMO is run and maintained by the city not MLSE. The city workers demanded more money with the addition of the Argos and the city demanded a hefty increase in "rent" due to the additional work of converting the field 9 or times to the CFL configuration and another 9 or 10 times to convert it back to soccer.
    When it was soccer only it was just about maintain the grass. With the Argos it's about removing the seats at the north end and removing the first 10 rows of the south end, putting in CFL goal posts, marking the field for CFL lines and the CFL signage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutie View Post
    Don't forget that BMO is run and maintained by the city not MLSE. The city workers demanded more money with the addition of the Argos and the city demanded a hefty increase in "rent" due to the additional work of converting the field 9 or times to the CFL configuration and another 9 or 10 times to convert it back to soccer.
    When it was soccer only it was just about maintain the grass. With the Argos it's about removing the seats at the north end and removing the first 10 rows of the south end, putting in CFL goal posts, marking the field for CFL lines and the CFL signage.
    That doesn't sound right. Source? Provide source or I no believa ya face.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    BMO is OWNED by the city and has been operated by MLSE since the grounds construction. The initial stadium was paid for with federal and provincial tax dollars + plus some MLSE money. The roof was constructed after a large investment by MLSE.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    I thought mlse was responsible for all the gameday conversion costs, as was the Argos before the ownership change. And the reasoning for the lack of grey Cup banners in 2016 was due to the extra costs of putting them up and taking them down for every game.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Coincidentally, I was in the U.K. over the weekend, and ended up staying at the same hotel as Commissioner Ambrosie. Given the recent changes in Toronto, I took the opportunity to discuss the recent news with the Argos. He couldn't have been happier with the progress of the MLSE transition of the Argos. It's a small world.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 01-22-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Speaking of some peripheral stadium news

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Coincidentally, I was in the U.K. over the weekend, and ended up staying at the same hotel as Commissioner Ambrosie. Given the recent changes in Toronto, I took the opportunity to discuss the recent news with the Argos. He couldn't have been happier with the progress of the MLSE transition of the Argos. It's a small world.
    Just curious did you get the impression he was there for business or pleasure? BT Sport does broadcast CFL games across UK and Ireland.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Just curious did you get the impression he was there for business or pleasure? BT Sport does broadcast CFL games across UK and Ireland.
    He was there for pleasure. Probably looking forward to a few days of anonymity. I put an end to that! Haha
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Speaking of some peripheral stadium news
    Usually a World Cup, Commonwealth and Olympic bids provides cities an opportunity to justify new stadia. I know the Blue Jays are anxious for an upgrade.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Usually a World Cup, Commonwealth and Olympic bids provides cities an opportunity to justify new stadia. I know the Blue Jays are anxious for an upgrade.
    Actually, I just read another article that clarified things a bit more. Doesn't look like any real upgrades to BMO aside from temporary seating, and SkyDome will have nothing to do with the bid.

That investment is estimated to be between $30 to $45 million, but none of that money will go toward a new stadium.

“We’re not going to build a new stadium, we’re going to put additional seating in BMO Field,” Tory said.

BMO Field has added extra seats before, for events such as the Grey Cup and the NHL Centennial Classic, which expands capacity to just more than 40,000. That capacity is dwarfed by many stadiums in other Canadian cities hoping to host games, like BC Place in Vancouver, Olympic Stadium in Montreal and Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton.

The Rogers Centre, which has about 10,000 more seats than an expanded BMO Field, would not be used if Toronto won its bid.

However, Tory is in favour of more soccer fields being built in the city.

“We are still quite short of really high quality soccer pitches in the GTA generally, not just in Toronto,” he said.

“In order to put on the World Cup, you need not just a place for the games but you need practice facilities for the teams, and I’m very hopeful this will stimulate, on a private-public partnership basis, the construction of additional facilities.”

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    He was there for pleasure. Probably looking forward to a few days of anonymity. I put an end to that! Haha
    Too bad, he was visiting ESPN and NFLN not too long ago, hoped he was talking with some Euro media players.

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    As it stands right now, the Argos are not losing as much money as TFC. Given that, my hope is MLSE purchased the Argos because they are convinced there is potential for significant profit. It's evident Rogers didn't get in on the Argos out of the goodness of their hearts. With that in mind, MLSE is sure to put at least some kind of effort in enhancing the presence of the Argos at BMO.

Why would an organization buy a team just to alienate it? I'm no expert on this stuff but it just doesn't make any sense.
    Do you have any proof that TFC are losing money?? They are averaging 28k per game and their prices are not cheap. They also have hosted 2 in a row MLS cups, that's a big pay day.
    They sell a ton of merchandise and they have a big shirt deal that brings in more money than the CFL TV contract. They also have a big contract for the "naming rights" at the stadium.

They also have the shared MLS revenue:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20...-mexico-canada

We need to use the success of TFC to rub off on the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Do you have any proof that TFC are losing money?? They are averaging 28k per game and their prices are not cheap. They also have hosted 2 in a row MLS cups, that's a big pay day.
    They sell a ton of merchandise and they have a big shirt deal that brings in more money than the CFL TV contract. They also have a big contract for the "naming rights" at the stadium.

They also have the shared MLS revenue:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20...-mexico-canada

We need to use the success of TFC to rub off on the Argos.
    Look at their payroll. Also their current jersey deal pays much less than the former deal and the Canadian MLS TV rights deal is less than the previous deal. TFC has been losing money for years now, ever since they started paying top dollar for European stars.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

For Argonaut fans it should be more than a hope. It should be an expectation that from now on BMO is going to be 50/50 Argos/TFC in terms of signage, branding and identity. The two franchises are now equal tenants in that building. These are Manning's exact words:
    "One of my guiding priorities will be to ensure the distinct cultures of both teams are honoured for both the club and their fans, and having the Argos part of our organization, and under the same leadership, will make that possible."
    Yea, forget those south end Grey Cup "banners" that twist around like rags in the wind, we should expect more permanent Argos markings in that place, like maybe some signage affixed under one of the roofs.