Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Bill Manning Named New Argos President

MLSE sale approved by BoG

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-approves-mlse-acquisition-of-argonauts-1.973024

Manning to oversee both Argos and TFC. Copeland remains on as alternate governor.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Surprised about Manning being handed the job. Not surprised about Copeland being pushed aside (will probably stick around until the business operations are moved to MLSE headquarters).

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't really see the benefit in having a single president to oversee two teams in two completely different. leagues. Copeland is still on board and knows the ins and outs better than anyone probably so not all is lost but really not sure what Manning's role will be with the Argos specifically. Return of the Argonotes?

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I don't really see the benefit in having a single president to oversee two teams in two completely different. leagues. Copeland is still on board and knows the ins and outs better than anyone probably so not all is lost but really not sure what Manning's role will be with the Argos specifically. Return of the Argonotes?
    Irrespective of his role - this largely has to do with Corporate governance rather than on-field product.

Hopefully the "No Argos at BMO" garbage should stop now with the MLS face at the forefront - along with some improved permanent ARGOS signage at BMO.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I admit to being ignorant of this, but what exactly does an alternate governor do? That is to say, I had always been under the impression that a governor/alternate governor fulfilled some other role within an organization. What will Copeland be doing outside of this role or is it a big enough position that it'll take up most of his time?

My impression on first glance (before reading what Copeland's role would be) was that Manning is the President of Argos and TFC (the BMO bloc) and this was simply a product of a much larger corporate structure and perhaps Copeland's day-to-day activities wouldn't change (except he now has the oversight).
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilz View Post
    Irrespective of his role - this largely has to do with Corporate governance rather than on-field product.

Hopefully the "No Argos at BMO" garbage should stop now with the MLS face at the forefront - along with some improved permanent ARGOS signage at BMO.
    Improved Argo signage at BMO will only cause more problems. I can only see this move (Manning hiring) raising the ire of the soccer fans.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Improved Argo signage at BMO will only cause more problems. I can only see this move (Manning hiring) raising the ire of the soccer fans.
    I'm sure they it will, but there is a certain segment of them that will never be placated so...
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Brilliant, with the amount of grief they've caused, to use their poseur language, bloody brilliant. Someday when the Argos sellout on a regular basis I will begin to forgive and forget, until then...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I admit to being ignorant of this, but what exactly does an alternate governor do? That is to say, I had always been under the impression that a governor/alternate governor fulfilled some other role within an organization. What will Copeland be doing outside of this role or is it a big enough position that it'll take up most of his time?

My impression on first glance (before reading what Copeland's role would be) was that Manning is the President of Argos and TFC (the BMO bloc) and this was simply a product of a much larger corporate structure and perhaps Copeland's day-to-day activities wouldn't change (except he now has the oversight).
    Tanenbaum is the team's Governor, Copeland along with Dale Lastman are the team's alternate's Governors as of right now. Essentially they represent the Argonauts at League meetings.

Manning knows how MLSE operates which is why this move was made, Manning is highly regarded within MLSE. Copeland, Moore, and Dykstra will be probably be kept around until the Argonauts are fully integrated into MLSE. I'd be surprised is all three are still with the Argonauts in 2019.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post

Copeland has the tailgate to look after. He's knee deep in permits and uh, such.

There sure is no shortage of jobs/money around the Argonauts of late. 2 Presidents, 2 GM's, expanded front office staff. Seems like everyone has an assistant. I wonder if we will see a sole QB coach (Ray?) for the first time in decades. With deep pockets, I wonder if the Argos bottom line even matters to MLSE. I can see some thinning of the herd after next season though, once MLSE or Mannng is fully aware.

MLSE has always been careful not to upset TFC fans. With TFC now champions and interest at an all time high, there is no better time to lay the hammer on some issues. I would inform tickets holders (they know who they are) that negative signs pertaining to the Argonauts will not be permitted and will result in expulsion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Who are these 2 Presidents and GM's you speak of ArgoZ ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Who are these 2 Presidents and GM's you speak of ArgoZ ?
    Manning/Copeland, Popp/Zimmerman

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Manning/Copeland, Popp/Zimmerman
    Copeland is no longer President, and is only being kept around for the transition. Zimmerman is the Asst. GM, every CFL team has at least one (most have 2).

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Copeland is no longer President, and is only being kept around for the transition. Zimmerman is the Asst. GM, every CFL team has at least one (most have 2).
    Argos are the same with "essentially" two AGMs -- zimmerman on football/recruitment side and Raiche on contract side

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Copeland and Moore are probably fortunate to be retained in any capacity when considering their overall body of work with the Argonauts IMO.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    I asked the question yesterday will the Argos use more of TFCs front office, marketing and ticketing?
    A good first step. Probably use TFCs marketing and ticketing next.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Agree, not sure what to make of this move?
    One president for the two teams in different sports on face value does not bode well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    A year ago, I'd have been happy about Copeland being ushered out but now I'm not so sure. I do think it was inevitable though with MLSE taking over and having some duties be shared. Overall, the Argos need to have more of a presence and access to their own stadium and this may be the bridge that can make that happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Naming Manning as the Argo President is the beginning of the end of Copeland and also probably Moore. The on field product has been successfully resurrected but Copeland's performance has been far less noteworthy and the MLSE brain trust has likely accepted that new leadership is required on the business management side. Expect both Copeland and Moore to quietly exit the organization sometime during the next 12 months.

Though Manning has no experience with the CFL, he has managerial sales experience with an NFL team, so he isn't completely a neophyte when it comes to football. It is not expected he will become an instant expert in all matters CFL and in all likelihood he will lean heavily on people like Popp, for advice re the league and its culture.

Since the Argos are now owned by MLSE, one would hope that the team and its fans will be accorded the same rights as TFC. Hopefully we will see some permanent and prominent signage at BMO stadium in the near future. After all, MLSE may manage the stadium but the city does own it. The "No Argos at BMO" should now be a dead issue and it is obviously unacceptable, to have any such signs shown inside the stadium.

MLSE is co-owned by Bell and Rogers (75%). These media giants may well be more cooperative in the future re. CFL broadcasts and we may see some sharing of the television rights in the future. This can only benefit the league in the long run.

IMO, Manning will continue as president of both the Argos and TFC for a while but somewhere down the road we could well see the two teams having two separate presidents. In the meantime, hopefully, Manning will bring his expertise to bear on the issue of the team's public and media image and also the concern of increasing game attendance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    not sure what to make with this new president.

He is 100% tfc and as such can he even treat both teams fairly or will the argos be the red headed stepchild of mlse and tfc the always favoured pampered rich boys?

time will tell.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227