Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I must admit I have been underwhelmed by Manning's performance to date. It isn't one specific thing but rather what seems to be, a trend of questionable decisions and actions. Cancelling the tailgating, closing the upper east side and deciding not covering with acceptable tarping, holding the home exhibition game in Guelph on a mid week night, apparently no Town Hall meeting, no indication of any action to provide the team with acceptable training facility but most concerning is the seeming lack of timely communication to the fans and in particular the STH's.

However, to be fair, Manning is very early into his stewardship of the team and his decision to reduce ticket prices definitely deserves commendation. Perhaps, we should withhold judgement of Manning's performance until he has been given enough time to more fully demonstrate innovative and effective leadership. He should also be given kudos for allowing Popp and Trestman full freedom to run the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I must admit I have been underwhelmed by Manning's performance to date. It isn't one specific thing but rather what seems to be, a trend of questionable decisions and actions. Cancelling the tailgating, closing the upper east side and deciding not covering with acceptable tarping, holding the home exhibition game in Guelph on a mid week night, apparently no Town Hall meeting, no indication of any action to provide the team with acceptable training facility but most concerning is the seeming lack of timely communication to the fans and in particular the STH's.

However, to be fair, Manning is very early into his stewardship of the team and his decision to reduce ticket prices definitely deserves commendation. Perhaps, we should withhold judgement of Manning's performance until he has been given enough time to more fully demonstrate innovative and effective leadership. He should also be given kudos for allowing Popp and Trestman full freedom to run the team.
    Very fair comment. I am in the same boat.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Not overly impressed so far but ultimately time will tell.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think the criteria for me is at least equal treatment with regards to TFC. I refuse to believe this cannot be rebuilt in a market this size. I can't believe that there aren't 30k rebels in a market of at least 5 million who would not go against the conventional belief.

I have no clue how you tap that audience but if they can sell TFC surely to God they can sell this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I was in Etobicoke today and did a slight detour to check out the team's facility at Don Bosco. Took a picture of the front of the building which has two Toronto Argonauts banners affixed to the wall. There was not much activity going on to suggest that it is being worked on as a permanent facility. There were young school kids using the field, which does not appear to be in any condition to be used by the team. So to me, it looks like once training camp breaks it will be a similar situation to last year for practices.

Attachment 911

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    I think the criteria for me is at least equal treatment with regards to TFC. I refuse to believe this cannot be rebuilt in a market this size. I can't believe that there aren't 30k rebels in a market of at least 5 million who would not go against the conventional belief.

I have no clue how you tap that audience but if they can sell TFC surely to God they can sell this.
    They need to draw 4/10s of a percent of the GTA to sell out the stadium. I will never understand why this is so difficult, but apparently it is

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I was in Etobicoke today and did a slight detour to check out the team's facility at Don Bosco. Took a picture of the front of the building which has two Toronto Argonauts banners affixed to the wall. There was not much activity going on to suggest that it is being worked on as a permanent facility. There were young school kids using the field, which does not appear to be in any condition to be used by the team. So to me, it looks like once training camp breaks it will be a similar situation to last year for practices.

Attachment 911
    Could not see your photo but find your description to be depressing. Come on MLSE step up!!!!!

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Any discussion or possible contributing factors I could give would likely be taken as offensive to some here but the one I just can't understand is why some say they can't watch the CFL because it isn't the best. And yet, people will go watch TFC. The CFL is a helluva lot closer to the best than MLS is and yet they can get their message across to their fans. I better stop because this will go places where people can't have a civil discussion without being offended (which is too bad)

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Any discussion or possible contributing factors I could give would likely be taken as offensive to some here but the one I just can't understand is why some say they can't watch the CFL because it isn't the best. And yet, people will go watch TFC. The CFL is a helluva lot closer to the best than MLS is and yet they can get their message across to their fans. I better stop because this will go places where people can't have a civil discussion without being offended (which is too bad)
    How true is this. The CFL is the 2nd best football league in the world while there are several leagues above MLS. Also it seems only gridiron football gets this treatment. No one has an issue with Swedish/Russian hockey or Japanese/Latin baseball, but for some reason the NFL is sacred and is the only football league that's allowed to exist according to many small-minded folks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

I'm also underwhelmed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeslet'sgo View Post
    How true is this. The CFL is the 2nd best football league in the world while there are several leagues above MLS. Also it seems only gridiron football gets this treatment. No one has an issue with Swedish/Russian hockey or Japanese/Latin baseball, but for some reason the NFL is sacred and is the only football league that's allowed to exist according to many small-minded folks.
    The CFL is the second-best pro football league in the world, but the comparison to hockey and baseball isn't particularly relevant IMO. No one in this market has easy access to those leagues, and the same is essentially true in reverse. No one in Canada ever gives any thought to hockey leagues in Sweden and Russia because they are not accessible, and fans in Sweden and Russia go to games there because those leagues are essentially all that is available to them. NFL games are played in the same time zones as Canada, readily available on TV and relatively easy to attend in person for residents of much of this country.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeslet'sgo View Post
    Perhaps Toronto has become too liberal of a city and the CFL is synonymous with Canadian/ American conservatism. I think another hard selling point is that the first 1/2 of the CFL season is largely irrelevant to the eventual winner of the Grey Cup. Whereas in bigger leagues every point matters because the ratio of teams that make the playoffs is less.

I would go one division and make each individual game worth more in the standings and market the CFL like the Big-12 or something. There's obviously interest in football south of the border and yet the CFL product-on-the-field is so similar with some unique aspects/ rules.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue_Red View Post
    Perhaps Toronto has become too liberal of a city and the CFL is synonymous with Canadian/ American conservatism. I think another hard selling point is that the first 1/2 of the CFL season is largely irrelevant to the eventual winner of the Grey Cup. Whereas in bigger leagues every point matters because the ratio of teams that make the playoffs is less.
    Perhaps people just don't have any interest in football. Football really is a North American sport and more than 50% of Toronto's population are visible minorities, even higher in Markham and Brampton, who didn't grow up with football naturally. Of course there is still a chance of a football conversion to occur but its not getting any easier. Especially with HS teams folding. Then those who do follow football, tend to follow the NFL or at least pretend to with the jerseys they wear.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The pool of soccer fans is vastly larger than the pool of football fans in the GTA. So while many soccer fans won't watch TFC (TV ratings prove that) for the same reasons many football fans won't watch the CFL ... the pool is large enough that they can fill BMO even with that sentiment.
    Last edited by Ron; 05-01-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Agreed, your last 2 posts are just spot on.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Geographical distance may play a factor. To go to Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit or Pittsburgh isn't difficult from the GTA. Getting to Manchester or Liverpool is however.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue_Red View Post

I would go one division and make each individual game worth more in the standings and market the CFL like the Big-12 or something. There's obviously interest in football south of the border and yet the CFL product-on-the-field is so similar with some unique aspects/ rules.
    I think Toronto (like the rest of Canada) is increasingly polarized politically, not more liberal. There's no centre any more, just hard right and hard left. If the PCs win the provincial election, I expect they will win some seats in Toronto (where Rob Ford won easily, and where the current mayor also identifies as small-c conservative).

I don't disagree with your point that many of the games really don't matter when so many teams make the playoffs, but I don't know if anyone stays away specifically for that reason. To me a much bigger issue is the fact that there are only nine teams. Every other pro league has more than 20 teams. The conferences in US college football also allow non-conference games, and the conferences are built in large part on longstanding regional rivalries that exist only in pockets in Canada. (For instance, Calgary and Edmonton dislike each other intensely -- not just in sports; Hamilton dislikes Toronto intensely, but Toronto simply doesn't care about Hamilton.) It gets old seeing the same teams so often, and it will be made even worse if Ambrosie's plan to reduce inter-conference games goes ahead. Much as I like the Argo-Ticat rivalry, I don't want to play the same team five or even six times a year including playoffs and preseason.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    No one in Canada ever gives any thought to hockey leagues in Sweden and Russia because they are not accessible, and fans in Sweden and Russia go to games there because those leagues are essentially all that is available to them.
    I don't know if I'd say that. We are truly living in the global village now, if I want to watch the K, I can. Many Canadians are playing in the KHL, so I have a rooting interest there (as Bob McCown used to say) NHL hockey is readily available in Sweden via traditional carriage.

I am a fan of the Canadian national soccer teams. If they play and are televised in any way, conventional or streamed, I can find them. Even obscure stuff like U18 girls, it's all out there.

One of the future growth areas for the CFL is getting American fans to find players of NCAA teams they follow and to keep following their careers in the CFL.

Kodi is your friend : )

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I think Toronto (like the rest of Canada) is increasingly polarized politically, not more liberal. There's no centre any more, just hard right and hard left.
    Very true, mores the pity.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Geographical distance may play a factor. To go to Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit or Pittsburgh isn't difficult from the GTA. Getting to Manchester or Liverpool is however.
    I don't think that's it, although it plays a part. In the US a football fan is generally a real football. They'll support HS, college and pro, not the same here.

Some of the issues are more cultural and while part may involve race and background, some of it may even be gender based.