Hybrid View

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    As it stands right now, the Argos are not losing as much money as TFC. Given that, my hope is MLSE purchased the Argos because they are convinced there is potential for significant profit. It's evident Rogers didn't get in on the Argos out of the goodness of their hearts. With that in mind, MLSE is sure to put at least some kind of effort in enhancing the presence of the Argos at BMO.

Why would an organization buy a team just to alienate it? I'm no expert on this stuff but it just doesn't make any sense.
    Do you have any proof that TFC are losing money?? They are averaging 28k per game and their prices are not cheap. They also have hosted 2 in a row MLS cups, that's a big pay day.
    They sell a ton of merchandise and they have a big shirt deal that brings in more money than the CFL TV contract. They also have a big contract for the "naming rights" at the stadium.

They also have the shared MLS revenue:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20...-mexico-canada

We need to use the success of TFC to rub off on the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutie View Post
    Do you have any proof that TFC are losing money?? They are averaging 28k per game and their prices are not cheap. They also have hosted 2 in a row MLS cups, that's a big pay day.
    They sell a ton of merchandise and they have a big shirt deal that brings in more money than the CFL TV contract. They also have a big contract for the "naming rights" at the stadium.

They also have the shared MLS revenue:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20...-mexico-canada

We need to use the success of TFC to rub off on the Argos.
    Look at their payroll. Also their current jersey deal pays much less than the former deal and the Canadian MLS TV rights deal is less than the previous deal. TFC has been losing money for years now, ever since they started paying top dollar for European stars.

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The difference between the Argos and TFC is that Toronto FC if put on the market today would be worth well over $200 Million USD. TFC has gate revenue over $1 million a game and the Corporate Sponsorship and Merchandise sales is way more then what we would see with the Argonauts. This is where the biggest impact for the Argos being involved with MLSE will come from. You are going to start seeing ( most likely after this season) all Corporate Partner deals being packaged together. You want to sponsor TFC well guess what you are also taking a package with the Argonauts. I know we have been asked to be patient for about 30 years. But give the dude a chance to put his business plans together. The communication has been lacking I agree but it can only get better. The one email I sent to Bill was replied within 24 hours and he was extremely professional and a pleasure to speak with.

Soccer is only going to get bigger in Canada for multiple reasons. I do like how the CFL is getting involved in Soccer with Scott Mitchell in Hamilton running the new Canadian Soccer Business marketing division which will control things such as the Canadian Championship and Canada Soccer. The Argos are going to be fine but we need to be patient. Let's see how the business operations are over the course of the season and go from that point.
    Last edited by Treblecharger1; 05-14-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Treblecharger1 View Post
    Soccer is only going to get bigger in Canada for multiple reasons. I do like how the CFL is getting involved in Soccer with Scott Mitchell in Hamilton running the new Canadian Soccer Business marketing division which will control things such as the Canadian Championship and Canada Soccer. The Argos are going to be fine but we need to be patient. Let's see how the business operations are over the course of the season and go from that point.
    Soccer won't be getting any bigger unless the CPL is a success. Toronto has room for growth because of the unreal size of their market but that hasn't translated beyond the success they've had filling the stadium, Unlike the NHL, where early allegiances were built across Canada this hasn't translated to MLS. No one cares outside the three markets. Depending on what they can land for television, and no one has yet to show me how you can monetize social media into a team's coffers, unless the CPL can get some decent TV exposure, they are doomed to fail. The CSL had as optimum a setup as could be expected and they failed. I just don't see those smaller markets having a critical mass of fans to make them successful long term.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Treblecharger1 View Post
    The difference between the Argos and TFC is that Toronto FC if put on the market today would be worth well over $200 Million USD.
    You expect that someone would purchase them for that?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    TFC has three major things going for it. 1) The league itself which FIFA is desperate to see succeed 2) A deep pocketed owner(MLSE) willing to finance the team even at a relatively large annual loss 3) A relatively small but fervent group of local supporters who will fill the stadium
    TFC has four majors threats to its success. 1) An annual financial loss that does not appear to be lessening from the 2016 reported loss of about $15+ million (CDN) and if MLSE decides not to cover that loss, there could be a downturn in the team's future 2) A potential lack of competitive balance because there is no salary cap. Every successful North American sports league has realized the importance of a salary cap to provide a competitive balance 3) Financial plan relying on new teams paying $300 million plus. Some have described this a akin to a Ponzi scheme. That might be an overstatement but once this money dries up as it must, the league could be in financial trouble 4) Poor Canadian TV ratings during the regular season, indicating the interest is minimal across the country

The CFL may have its problems but it is now on a sound financial footing and the next TV deal promises to be even more rewarding.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    2) A potential lack of competitive balance because there is no salary cap. Every successful North American sports league has realized the importance of a salary cap to provide a competitive balance .
    Not MLB. Maybe it's just the North American leagues that have the actual words Major League in them?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    You expect that someone would purchase them for that?
    $200 million, so you can take on the opportunity of losing $15 million a year. Something wrong there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    $200 million, so you can take on the opportunity of losing $15 million a year. Something wrong there.
    I don't get how so many rich people are so not bright. I'm convinced its a status thing.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    I can't see Manning coming on board just to treat the Argos as second fiddle. He has experience with the Philadelphia Eagles and I beleive the Houston Astros so he's not just a soccer guy.

So with the Argos not just being 100% under the same ownership as TFC, but also under the same management, I'm hoping BMO becomes more dual branded over time. Upgrade the Grey Cup banners, one per championship would be nice...might as do it this year since we're raising another one!

Have our merchandise discount work in stadium and up it to 15%, which TFC SHTs get too.

Schedule is be best in years so I'm confident MLSE will run the Argos first class like their other brands.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Hard to see how putting someone who is a player within MLSE in charge of the Argos could be a bad thing. If Rogers agreed to buy in just to keep Tanenbaum happy or some other ulterior motive, maybe they'd be unenthusiastic about the whole thing, but it seems pretty clear MLSE sees the Argos as a brand worth nurturing. And as I've written before, even Richard Peddie, who opposed MLSE buying the Argos, believed the team could make a $1M profit as part of the conglomerate. I have to believe MLSE has now figured out that an extra $1M profit is not a bad thing to go after.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    And as I've written before, even Richard Peddie, who opposed MLSE buying the Argos, believed the team could make a $1M profit as part of the conglomerate. I have to believe MLSE has now figured out that an extra $1M profit is not a bad thing to go after.
    And as I've written before, that was before the new TV contract (which took a much bigger chunk out of expenses) thus making that million or so projected profit likely to be much larger.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    And as I've written before, that was before the new TV contract (which took a much bigger chunk out of expenses) thus making that million or so projected profit likely to be much larger.
    The other thing that's changed, of course, is the stadium. Depending on how much rent was being paid to Rogers and how much is paid now, there's further potential for better financials. It totally makes sense for Rogers to want to be part of this.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The other thing that's changed, of course, is the stadium. Depending on how much rent was being paid to Rogers and how much is paid now, there's further potential for better financials. It totally makes sense for Rogers to want to be part of this.
    Don't forget that BMO is run and maintained by the city not MLSE. The city workers demanded more money with the addition of the Argos and the city demanded a hefty increase in "rent" due to the additional work of converting the field 9 or times to the CFL configuration and another 9 or 10 times to convert it back to soccer.
    When it was soccer only it was just about maintain the grass. With the Argos it's about removing the seats at the north end and removing the first 10 rows of the south end, putting in CFL goal posts, marking the field for CFL lines and the CFL signage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    I can't see Manning coming on board just to treat the Argos as second fiddle. He has experience with the Philadelphia Eagles and I beleive the Houston Astros so he's not just a soccer guy.

So with the Argos not just being 100% under the same ownership as TFC, but also under the same management, I'm hoping BMO becomes more dual branded over time. Upgrade the Grey Cup banners, one per championship would be nice...might as do it this year since we're raising another one!

Have our merchandise discount work in stadium and up it to 15%, which TFC SHTs get too.

Schedule is be best in years so I'm confident MLSE will run the Argos first class like their other brands.
    Just an FYI the Argonauts already have one banner per Grey Cup championship.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

For Argonaut fans it should be more than a hope. It should be an expectation that from now on BMO is going to be 50/50 Argos/TFC in terms of signage, branding and identity. The two franchises are now equal tenants in that building. These are Manning's exact words:
    "One of my guiding priorities will be to ensure the distinct cultures of both teams are honoured for both the club and their fans, and having the Argos part of our organization, and under the same leadership, will make that possible."
    Yea, forget those south end Grey Cup "banners" that twist around like rags in the wind, we should expect more permanent Argos markings in that place, like maybe some signage affixed under one of the roofs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    For Argonaut fans it should be more than a hope. It should be an expectation that from now on BMO is going to be 50/50 Argos/TFC in terms of signage, branding and identity. The two franchises are now equal tenants in that building. These are Manning's exact words:

Yea, forget those south end Grey Cup "banners" that twist around like rags in the wind, we should expect more permanent Argos markings in that place, like maybe some signage affixed under one of the roofs.
    I like the banners. They close in the end zone with that ridiculously high roof. They just need tied down, during higher winds. I can’t see why this isn’t possible. As far as signage, there could be little touches, that some may not even notice though. They do a pretty good job for game days, aside from the red seats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I like the banners. They close in the end zone with that ridiculously high roof. They just need tied down, during higher winds. I can’t see why this isn’t possible. As far as signage, there could be little touches, that some may not even notice though. They do a pretty good job for game days, aside from the red seats.
    Why should we settle for temporary branding like banners that get unfurled every game? Shouldn't we now be expecting a more permanent recognition of Argonauts history displayed somewhere in that stadium?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    I thought mlse was responsible for all the gameday conversion costs, as was the Argos before the ownership change. And the reasoning for the lack of grey Cup banners in 2016 was due to the extra costs of putting them up and taking them down for every game.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Coincidentally, I was in the U.K. over the weekend, and ended up staying at the same hotel as Commissioner Ambrosie. Given the recent changes in Toronto, I took the opportunity to discuss the recent news with the Argos. He couldn't have been happier with the progress of the MLSE transition of the Argos. It's a small world.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 01-22-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin