Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

OV's annual CFL all- Draft board team

Once again - post Combine - and based mostly on college ball play, but taking into account Combine testing #s and various reports/comments I have read. And not meant to be any type of predictor for the draft.

Offence:

QB - NA

RB - Alex Taylor (Western)

H-back - David Mackie (Western)

Receiver - Rishaun Simonise (Calgary), Mark Chapman (C- Michigan), Regis Cibasu (Montreal), Dan Petermann (McMaster), Justin Buren (Simon Fraser)

O-line - David Knevel (Nebraska), Dakoda Shepley (UBC), Ryan Hunter (Bowling Green), Trey Rutherford (U Conn), Mark Korte (Alberta)

Place kicker - Gabe Ferraro (Guelph)

Defence:

DT - Julien Laurent (Georgia St.), Brett Wade (Calgary)

DE - Bo Banner (C - Washington), Kenye Onyeka (Carleton)

LB - J.G. Poulin (Western), Micah Teitz (Calgary), Nelkas Kwemo (Queens)

DB - Godfrey Onyeka (Laurier), Jackson Bennett (Ottawa), Gabriel Ouellet (Laval), Nick Parisotto (Guelph), Jordan Beaulieu (Western)

Punter - Sean Stenger (Saskatchewan)

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Once again - post Combine - and based mostly on college ball play, but taking into account Combine testing #s and various reports/comments I have read. And not meant to be any type of predictor for the draft.

Offence:

QB - NA

RB - Alex Taylor (Western)

H-back - David Mackie (Western)

Receiver - Rishaun Simonise (Calgary), Mark Chapman (C- Michigan), Regis Cibasu (Montreal), Dan Petermann (McMaster), Justin Buren (Simon Fraser)

O-line - David Knevel (Nebraska), Dakoda Shepley (UBC), Ryan Hunter (Bowling Green), Trey Rutherford (U Conn), Mark Korte (Alberta)

Place kicker - Gabe Ferraro (Guelph)

Defence:

DT - Julien Laurent (Georgia St.), Brett Wade (Calgary)

DE - Bo Banner (C - Washington), Kenye Onyeka (Carleton)

LB - J.G. Poulin (Western), Micah Teitz (Calgary), Nelkas Kwemo (Queens)

DB - Godfrey Onyeka (Laurier), Jackson Bennett (Ottawa), Gabriel Ouellet (Laval), Nick Parisotto (Guelph), Jordan Beaulieu (Western)

Punter - Sean Stenger (Saskatchewan)
    With Alex Taylor's slow 40 time (4.9) I wonder if Laval's Christopher Amoah (4.68 40 time) takes over as best RB prospect? Taylor my be too slow for pro ball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    And Amoah ran a 4.47 forty at the CIS East-West Combine last spring; but - he wasn't even the starting or #1 back though in his 4th year at Laval.

Again - I go mostly by college ball production here - and Taylor put up some big numbers, including eye popping yards/carry numbers for Western, and he was playing and a force in the Vanier win last year. Agreed he may fall way down in the CFL draft due to that 4.9 forty; but he apparently impressed in the one-on-ones with catching - maybe he will be viewed as another tailback to slot project - like Durie & Coombs ? Andy Fantuz could have been viewed as "too slow" for pro ball too after his 4.9 range 40 at the CFL Combine; and the guy went on to lead the entire CFL in receiving in a season.

I probably would have Ryder Stone (Dartmouth) as the next RB to Taylor.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    And Amoah ran a 4.47 forty at the CIS East-West Combine last spring; but - he wasn't even the starting or #1 back though in his 4th year at Laval.

Again - I go mostly by college ball production here - and Taylor put up some big numbers, including eye popping yards/carry numbers for Western, and he was playing and a force in the Vanier win last year. Agreed he may fall way down in the CFL draft due to that 4.9 forty; but he apparently impressed in the one-on-ones with catching - maybe he will be viewed as another tailback to slot project - like Durie & Coombs ? Andy Fantuz could have been viewed as "too slow" for pro ball too after his 4.9 range 40 at the CFL Combine; and the guy went on to lead the entire CFL in receiving in a season.

I probably would have Ryder Stone (Dartmouth) as the next RB to Taylor.
    I hope Taylor ends up playing faster than he tested. I loved watching him at Western. I'm also interested to see how Ilnicki does in his second shot with the Redblacks. He also tested slow but tore up U Sports last season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ski View Post
    I hope Taylor ends up playing faster than he tested. I loved watching him at Western. I'm also interested to see how Ilnicki does in his second shot with the Redblacks. He also tested slow but tore up U Sports last season.
    Ilnicki is more of a tough inside power runner - where speed is not as necessary as for smaller tailbacks; it will be interesting to see how he fares there - will be battling Gillanders or Wayne Moore (11th overall pick by Popp with the Als in 2016 ???) - for the back-up or even 3rd string RB job there -#1 back will be pencilled-in for imports only (and Powell was excellent late last season); Gillanders was producing a bunch of nice runs/gainers for Ottawa early last season but faded away to barely used after Powell came on strong. Depth or variety of ground game where Ilnicki might be useful as a change of pace back is quite unlikely there IMO. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ilnicki cut at TC.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Ilnicki is more of a tough inside power runner - where speed is not as necessary as for smaller tailbacks; it will be interesting to see how he fares there - will be battling Gillanders or Wayne Moore (11th overall pick by Popp with the Als in 2016 ???) - for the back-up or even 3rd string RB job there -#1 back will be pencilled-in for imports only (and Powell was excellent late last season); Gillanders was producing a bunch of nice runs/gainers for Ottawa early last season but faded away to barely used after Powell came on strong. Depth or variety of ground game where Ilnicki might be useful as a change of pace back is quite unlikely there IMO. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ilnicki cut at TC.
    I kind of think Ilnicki will be cut too. Taylor is definitely more shifty than Ilnicki, but I think he will be cut too and end up back at Western.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    More thoughts on draft eligible running backs:

https://theratiobreaker.com/2018/04/...running-backs/

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    I kind of think Ilnicki will be cut too. Taylor is definitely more shifty than Ilnicki, but I think he will be cut too and end up back at Western.
    Ilnicki was cut last year in camp and decided to return to the CIS to work on his football resume. Now he gets a second chance after winning the Hec Creighton.
    But you are right he could be cut, they already have Gillanders, Moore, Gosselin, and they traded to get Beaulieu from the Als. All these guys will be backup to Mosis Madu who will back up William Powell.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutie View Post
    Ilnicki was cut last year in camp and decided to return to the CIS to work on his football resume. Now he gets a second chance after winning the Hec Creighton.
    But you are right he could be cut, they already have Gillanders, Moore, Gosselin, and they traded to get Beaulieu from the Als. All these guys will be backup to Mosis Madu who will back up William Powell.

You're lumping in fullback/H-back types with tailbacks, and this makes no sense (maybe you don't know the difference however?).

Powell, Madu and Gillanders all played tailback for Ottawa last year; Gosselin was drafted as a fullback, and Beaulieu from the Als was an H-back there too; these guys are not the same position as tailback; just like Declan Cross won't be challenging James Wilder for playing time or carries with the Argos. And the Ottawa offence almost never hands-off to their H-back.

I'd guess they are going to look at Ilnicki as a tailback, but they might look at him at H-back too; same deal with Wayne Moore.

Madu will probably be 2nd string behind Powell at RB; based on passport and unless there was real competition. Gillanders was way better IMO than Madu last season at RB in the Ottawa offence (clear evidence in their yards/carry averages - Gillander over 6 per; Madu under 5 per); Ilnciki might be able to win the #2 RB job in real TC competition; but i could see him cut if he can't beat out Gillanders, who is a veteran and very good on special teams - so he has a leg up there. Very doubtful the Ottawa roster would be able to dress all of Gillanders, Beaulieu, Gosselin and Ilnicki - one or two could be on the PR maybe though.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Marshall Ferguson's predictions on RB draft in his latest mock draft.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/05/mock-2...-jumps-charts/

1 (10). HAMILTON DAVID MACKIE RB | WESTERN

1 (36). SASKATCHEWAN ATLEE SIMON RB | REGINA

2 (37). EDMONTON TANNER GREEN RB | CONCORDIA

4 (39). CALGARY CHRISTOPHER AMOAH RB | LAVAL

3 (46). BC BRYCE VIEIRA RB | OTTAWA

8 (51). MONTREAL WILL ALTEMA RB | MONTREAL

7 (58). WINNIPEG ALEX TAYLOR RB | WESTERN

9 (60). TORONTO RYDER STONE RB | DARTMOUTH

Like usual, he predicts Canadian full back types will be chosen first. People are predicting Simon will be converted to slot back. Then, I guess you pick Canadian tailbacks
    based on athleticism for special teams. Poor Taylor, that slow 40 time has really moved him down the rankings if Ferguson is right.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Marshall Ferguson's predictions on RB draft in his latest mock draft.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/05/mock-2...-jumps-charts/

1 (10). HAMILTON DAVID MACKIE RB | WESTERN

1 (36). SASKATCHEWAN ATLEE SIMON RB | REGINA

2 (37). EDMONTON TANNER GREEN RB | CONCORDIA

4 (39). CALGARY CHRISTOPHER AMOAH RB | LAVAL

3 (46). BC BRYCE VIEIRA RB | OTTAWA

8 (51). MONTREAL WILL ALTEMA RB | MONTREAL

7 (58). WINNIPEG ALEX TAYLOR RB | WESTERN

9 (60). TORONTO RYDER STONE RB | DARTMOUTH

Like usual, he predicts Canadian full back types will be chosen first. People are predicting Simon will be converted to slot back. Then, I guess you pick Canadian tailbacks
    based on athleticism for special teams. Poor Taylor, that slow 40 time has really moved him down the rankings if Ferguson is right.
    I get a kick out of Ferguson as both a CFL "commentator" and on his knowledge of Canadian football talent.

Mock drafts are fun or good for a laugh though.

So here's my good for a chuckle CFL 1st round - and based on team need, which is guaranteed to make little sense or match the CFL draft order :

Als - Mark Chapman - Mavis sees the guy as a possible starter, and maybe right away - as one of his 7 only NI starters

Ticats - Ryan Hunter - O-line "depth"

BC - Peter Godber - more O-line depth. and Mr. Ed & Wally like NCAA Canadians

Ottawa - Dakoda Shepley - they've shown an inclination to play an NI at OT, including when rookie Lauzon-Seguin started in a GC win

Sasky - Julien Laurent - depth at DT in a NI starter position for them - behind Zack Evans

Edmonton - Trey Rutherford - O-line depth thinking again

Bummers - Andrew Pickett - from O'Shea's old CIS team - and a solid OG prospect where they are now going back to 2 NI starters it seems ?

Stumps - Godfey Onyeka - they think he might be able to claim the vacant safety job, and sooner than later

Argos - Mark Korte - good interior O-line prospect and Popp likes NI O-linemen
    Last edited by OV Argo; 04-05-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I get a kick out of Ferguson as both a CFL "commentator" and on his knowledge of Canadian football talent.

Mock drafts are fun or good for a laugh though.

So here's my good for a chuckle CFL 1st round - and based on team need, which is guaranteed to make little sense or match the CFL draft order :

Als - Mark Chapman - Mavis sees the guy as a possible starter, and maybe right away - as one of his 7 only NI starters

Ticats - Ryan Hunter - O-line "depth"

BC - Peter Godber - more O-line depth. and Mr. Ed & Wally like NCAA Canadians

Ottawa - Dakoda Shepley - they've shown an inclination to play an NI at OT, including when rookie Lauzon-Seguin started in a GC win

Sasky - Julien Laurent - depth at DT in a NI starter position for them - behind Zack Evans

Edmonton - Trey Rutherford - O-line depth thinking again

Bummers - Andrew Pickett - from O'Shea's old CIS team - and a solid OG prospect where they are now going back to 2 NI starters it seems ?

Stumps - Godfey Onyeka - they think he might be able to claim the vacant safety job, and sooner than later

Argos - Mark Korte - good interior O-line prospect and Popp likes NI O-linemen
    Definitely a lot of offensive lineman will get selected in the first round. Who gets selected will probably depend on who signs on in the NFL as free agents after the NFL draft. I wonder if Chapman will screw up every-bodies mock drafts predictions by signing a NFL free agent deal before the CFL draft. If he doesn't, I'm sure he will go number 1 or 2.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Changed my mind on who Ottawa should pick 1st = go with local product Jackson Bennett - superb athletic testing #s and an accomplished player at both OLB and in the secondary with the GGs; guy could be a starting OLB (either spot maybe) in the CFL or at the very least a good back-up / future replacement for Pruneau at safety.

Then they could still get a good O-line prospect in the 2nd round.