Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    This is a situation where you can see both sides of the story, good and bad. It really does bring a huge dose of reality for us fans. Think about it, Wilder, a football hero to myself, makes less than half of what most of the employees at my construction firm do. Sad, really. He did sign the contract, at a time that no one else wanted him. The league average works out to around $100k mathematically, but the Argos have too much money set aside for quarterbacks right now. As of note, Wilder got a nice bonus winning the Grey Cup (20g's) so his life is not that terrible, just not guaranteed.

From a player standpoint. It is unfair that a team can get rid of them, whenever they want, if they underperform or are overpaid, yet can hold them hostage if the sign an option contract. Jim Barker would let players go, and we hated him for it. This is what happens when you don't. It's a no win. Our owners pay 10 million to a soccer player, yet can't pay 50g's to our star back, salary cap I know, but explain that to the players.
    Fair point but he also 'works' half the year and is doing something that he loves.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Today’s melodramatic announcement begs the question, who is the real James Wilder?
    Humble team first player who seemed grateful the Argos gave him a chance👍
    I’ve given you a half season of good football so pay up or I’m gone!
    You would think there is a compromise in there somewhere?
    Carry on and start recruiting RB’s for training camp.
    Last edited by Argo57; 01-24-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Who can live in Toronto (or Vancouver) for $56,000 a year? I did it 20 years ago, but I was single and that all changed. Maybe one/two years of scraping by as a rookie. But if you're married and pushing 30; no way. Not sure why this long winded statement had to be issued, but it does give us fans a realistic look at what these everyday family men, go through. It's his right to walk away. I would understand. It's too bad, but I get it. Family first, and I have no reason to believe that he doesn't mean that. If I were Popp; however, I would figure out a way to get the man a few more nickels to rub together/ or set him free with a handshake.

He has the ability to move the meters and continue to be a difference maker.

Any idea what Kendall Hunter is doing? Oh, probably saying no to 56K. That's what (;.

I think it's time for the CFLPA to grow a pair and get a bigger percentage of some of these soon to be re-negotiated TV contracts.

If this league wants to be more than a roster turnstile, it's got to get with the times. It's expensive out there; especially playing for 75cents on the dollar

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Who can live in Toronto (or Vancouver) for $56,000 a year? I did it 20 years ago, but I was single and that all changed. Maybe one/two years of scraping by as a rookie. But if you're married and pushing 30; no way. Not sure why this long winded statement had to be issued, but it does give us fans a realistic look at what these everyday family men, go through. It's his right to walk away. I would understand. It's too bad, but I get it. Family first, and I have no reason to believe that he doesn't mean that. If I were Popp; however, I would figure out a way to get the man a few more nickels to rub together/ or set him free with a handshake.

He has the ability to move the meters and continue to be a difference maker.

Any idea what Kendall Hunter is doing? Oh, probably saying no to 56K. That's what (;.

I think it's time for the CFLPA to grow a pair and get a bigger percentage of some of these soon to be re-negotiated TV contracts.

If this league wants to be more than a roster turnstile, it's got to get with the times. It's expensive out there; especially playing for 75cents on the dollar
    Don't forget that it is $56k for the football season (and the football season is not 12 months!). While I do think that the cap should be higher to allow for higher minimum salaries, it is widely known that most of those who play in the CFL also have other full time jobs in the offseason. Thus their annual salary is not $56k but $56k + off-season earnings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan81 View Post
    Don't forget that it is $56k for the football season (and the football season is not 12 months!). While I do think that the cap should be higher to allow for higher minimum salaries, it is widely known that most of those who play in the CFL also have other full time jobs in the offseason. Thus their annual salary is not $56k but $56k + off-season earnings.

PLUS - how much is play-off/GC bonus money?

Again - the guy made probably 80K for 6 months work.

Thanks for coming out though pal; see ya later. There's tons of football players who would be proud to play for the GC Champion Toronto Argonauts; and some of them would do so starting out at CFL minimum, with the hopes for a raise down the road - AFTER they honour the contract they sign.

Sure - the CFL cap & minimum salary should be higher.

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan81 View Post
    Yes, so don't blame the guy if he makes the choice not to play for $56k Canadian in one of the most expensive cities in North America.
    Like all players he pays taxes in Canada but unlike other workers in this country they get ZERO workers comp if he gets injured. The CFL turns their back on injured players.
    All of us are free to quit our jobs and move on in our trade or profession even if we do sign on the dotted line when we start work with a company.
    It's too bad that he is locked in now and not allowed to pursue his trade.
    The Argos should do the right thing ad re-negotiate his contract, he was one of the main reasons for the Grey Cup.
    If it opens the flood gates for other players so what? at least he has proven after his first year that he deserves to be paid more.

It looks like he will stay in Tampa and be involved with his clothing apparel business and his motivational speaking. He's put his family first.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    It looks as if he really wants to go to the NFL, now some teams have showed an interest in him.

I suspect that Popp would be willing to give him a substantial raise if he would agree to extend his contract to another year. Something like $100,000 to $125,00 for the 2018 and $125,000 to$150,000 for 2019. It looks as if he would much rather take his chances on the NFL (which has already rejected once)

He seems like a fine young man who is getting bad advice. Disappointed that he has decided to negotiate in public--not a good move.

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    exactly if you feel your underpaid, just sign an extension. definately 140k for 2019 is market value, plus a signing/roster bonus for $75k top up to his current deal.

or else, just sit in texas. and popp & argos will move on to the next RB. I'm not to worried about this. Why pay more for an import back. they r a dime-a-dozen.