Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Naylor has tweeted Commissioner Randy Ambrosie's response on the issue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Good one; great posts in this thread and I think getting NFL teams to pay for a look is a very interesting idea.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Wilder would have likely been one of the featured players during the big week that the league now holds in February (I think it is in Winnipeg this year). It is unfortunate that he will not be a part of that now.
    This player has expressed his desire to leave the CFL and in doing so besmirched the very franchise that gave him a break and is surprised that the CFL has cancelled his photo shoot?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Popp has a good record of finding some pretty good running backs (Pringle, Cobourne, Whitaker, Rutley, Sutton, and Wilder, who was put on the Als neg list by Popp and dropped by Kavis) - I'm not worried.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The league should close any contract loopholes that may exist to ensure all franchises are dealing with their contracts in the same fashion.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Lot of good points raised in this thread so I'll try avoid repeating any. The one thought that kept recurring while reading the posts is that it's too bad we don't have a transfer fee system like soccer or a posting fee like Japanese baseball. If an NFL team was willing to pay 100K to the Argos for the right to give him a tryout plus 10% of his contract if he makes it with the condition he returns to the Argos if cut I feel like it could be a win-win-win for CFL team, NFL team, and player.
    I like this idea. Especially if any money coming back could be added to the team's salary cap. In that way, even if you lose a player, you acquire the money and cap room to offset the loss.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I was one of the winners in the season ticker holder draw and just thought I'd let you all know I have an unworn, size large, Wilder jersey available to the highest bidder...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    I was one of the winners in the season ticker holder draw and just thought I'd let you all know I have an unworn, size large, Wilder jersey available to the highest bidder...
    And the crickets are chirping😛
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I already have a 32 jersey. Except mine says Durie on it. Why did we let Wilder use that number?
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    The transfer system works well because it's transparent. Fans usually can't argue when your team gets above value for one of their players. It's money to bring it more players, etc. Your idea would expose how truly interested NFL teams would be instead of these future contracts, try outs and kicking tires we always here about (with no confirmation of course).
    I would argue that the amount of bonus money the NFL team offers the player is a solid indication of what they believe that player's chances are of sticking with the team.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I already have a 32 jersey. Except mine says Durie on it. Why did we let Wilder use that number?
    I loved Durie and wouldn't have minded having the the number taken out of circ for a year or two in his honour. He didn't do enough to have the number retired (few attain that level) but he should be remembered fondly, in that number. (I believe he also wore 13 briefly, and scored his first TD in that number. Or was it 33?)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    And the crickets are chirping
    What's your best price on those crickets?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I loved Durie and wouldn't have minded having the the number taken out of circ for a year or two in his honour. He didn't do enough to have the number retired (few attain that level) but he should be remembered fondly, in that number. (I believe he also wore 13 briefly, and scored his first TD in that number. Or was it 33?)
    Agree with you. As a local kid who overcame such odds and converted to a receiver. Without the injuries he had as an Argo he would have been a multiple 1000 yard receiver and a multiple Canadian player of the year winner. He was an all-time Argo in my books. It would have been a nice gesture not to let someone else use 32 for a few seasons.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Agree with you. As a local kid who overcame such odds and converted to a receiver. Without the injuries he had as an Argo he would have been a multiple 1000 yard receiver and a multiple Canadian player of the year winner. He was an all-time Argo in my books. It would have been a nice gesture not to let someone else use 32 for a few seasons.
    Well I am thinking #32 will not be in use this season. Very disheartening as a long time Argo fan. I was hoping to see the team finally build a solid nucleus like you see in CFL cities out west. Now to defend the Cup without two of the teams star players because of recent developments really erases any headway the franchise was finally starting to make. Actually Butlers comments could set the team back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It really has been a rough week. The things these players have said are all correct. It's just the manner and airing it in public in a city that still looks down their nose at the CFL and the Argos. Tough PR. We will see what the new presidents level of commitment to the team is. The Argos have had the worst practice and team facilities for years. Players coming here must really get bad first impressions. Compared to what Edmonton and Saskatchewan have which are first rate in North America. I hope the new ownership invest in the team to make it a place players want to come. The salary cap is the salary cap but everything else should be first rate.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    What's your best price on those crickets?
    Bidding starts at 50 cents.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former GM Jim Barker, who let many players go early to the NFL and whose verbal agreements with Butler and Wilder may have led in part to this dispute, has commented on the situation. IMO, if he did make these agreements with Wilder and Butler, they should be honoured, even if Popp wants to not follow his practice in the future.

You make a deal with a player, come in, play – I’ve done that numerous times with a player and say ‘listen if you have an opportunity to go we’ll let you go.’ And you do that, but if you don’t have that kind of deal and then you let a guy go it you’re going to have a line-up of players and it creates a lot of problems,” Barker told Jock Wilson on 770 CHQR in Calgary.
    The issue came up after James Wilder Jr. announced he would sit out the 2018 season if the Argos didn’t let him explore NFL opportunities.

“I understand where James Wilder is coming from also in that he’s talking about playing in 18 plus two pre-season plus the playoffs, it can turn into a 22 game season which the risk of injury is so high for basically $45,000 U.S.,” Barker said.
    “The whole James Wilder thing is shedding light on the whole option year that first-year players have to sign to get in there. I don’t think he’s approached it negatively. If I was a GM I would probably try to make sure it was taken care of privately. But the bottom line is he signed a contract and if you go and renegotiate one guy you’re going to have a line-up of players who want to renegotiate their deal. That’s something that at the CBA level has to happen, whether they’re going to care about the first-year guys. The way it’s always been, the players union is concerned with guys who are veterans and not rookies.”
    The current collective bargaining agreement runs out May 15, 2019.
    “The Canadian Football League is going through a CBA here in the next year and they’re going to have to take a real look, especially with the way James Wilder has approached what he’s doing with the whole one-year plus an option,” Barker said.
    “I think the league is going to become a one-year contract league. And I don’t think that’s created an environment where there’s a ton of moving around of free agents. People understand what free agency is and for the most part teams try to sign the players that are the best players and those players that think they can go get more usually don’t and end up back where they were. Being a one-year contract league is not necessarily a bad thing.”
    http://3downnation.com/2018/01/27/fo...to-pursue-nfl/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It really has been a rough week. The things these players have said are all correct. It's just the manner and airing it in public in a city that still looks down their nose at the CFL and the Argos. Tough PR. We will see what the new presidents level of commitment to the team is. The Argos have had the worst practice and team facilities for years. Players coming here must really get bad first impressions. Compared to what Edmonton and Saskatchewan have which are first rate in North America. I hope the new ownership invest in the team to make it a place players want to come. The salary cap is the salary cap but everything else should be first rate.
    The Toronto Argo experience has been bush league for years now. I have witnessed it myself, as I was once employed by the team. I am willing to bet that from a players perspective, it is an eye-opening and humbling experience. Surely at times, from a players perspective, it must be one of the poorest experiences inside professional sports. BUT! It is coming around, as it has threatened to do a couple of times before inside the last 3 decades. There is SO much history. SO much potential. Fans like us are die-hard. Does it have the clout to sustain? Yes, but all the bush shit has to go. It must. The professionals NEED a professional environment. Popp and Trestman were the perfect first step. But there are MANY more steps to take yet. It's time to turn this ship around. Demand it, cos with this ownership group and solid leadership, there are no excuses anymore. We'll soon see if MLS is serious about this franchise. And it is very important as Toronto is running out of time for CFL Football if those who lead it --- don't come to play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I know Andre Durie was 13. He may have been 33 also?

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    I know Andre Durie was 13. He may have been 33 also?
    Jeff Johnson was an Argo longer than Durie so no chance. He was #13 in his rookie year IIRC and soon changed.