Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Not fair to make that type of comparison, as it's doubtful that Kackert had any NFL inquiries. Again, I hold no ill towards Wilder. If I was making 52k Canadian and someone told me there was a chance to make 450k US, I think I too would want to be released for that opportunity. So easy for anybody to hate on him without ever being in that position. As far as the contract misunderstanding goes, that's on his agent for either not bothering to learn the legalities of the CFL contract or simply misinforming his client.
    Yes, sorry I should've quoted RJ's post as I was simply replying to why some give Kackert legend status around here. No direct comparison intended between Wilder and Kackert in my post.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Kackert doesn't get legend status. Way too short of a career. A bit of feel good underdog story, trying to root for the guy to make it back after a freak injury. Showed some promise as a backup and fans wanted to see a little more with a 1-2 punch with Boyd. Finally got his shot after Boyd release and never looked back. Injury really derailed his career. Why the need to always bring up Kackert like that? One group sees him as a bit of cult hero (Grey Cup "hero") and one always needs to quash the fun. Heck, there are always people within a fan base that start a unofficial backup QB fan club, always calling for the backup to get in. Some Edmonton fans wanted Reilly out and Franklin to get the keys. That fact (Franklin vs Reilly) goes against your little theory. And according to that theory, no one should see Wilder as a legend.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    For me, Kackert will always be a legend due to the fact that when he was in he made instant impact (despite the early fumble problems)and fought back from many injuries and stuck around on the practice roster for 2 straight seasons (I know he didn't have 4 kids to support but how'd he live on that?) without ever publicly complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Kackert doesn't get legend status. Way too short of a career. A bit of feel good underdog story, trying to root for the guy to make it back after a freak injury.
    i love Kackert but I have to agree with ArgoGabe22 on this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Yes, sorry I should've quoted RJ's post as I was simply replying to why some give Kackert legend status around here. No direct comparison intended between Wilder and Kackert in my post.
    Ah, sorry for my misinterpretation.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Kackert doesn't get legend status. Way too short of a career. A bit of feel good underdog story, trying to root for the guy to make it back after a freak injury. Showed some promise as a backup and fans wanted to see a little more with a 1-2 punch with Boyd. Finally got his shot after Boyd release and never looked back. Injury really derailed his career. Why the need to always bring up Kackert like that? One group sees him as a bit of cult hero (Grey Cup "hero") and one always needs to quash the fun. Heck, there are always people within a fan base that start a unofficial backup QB fan club, always calling for the backup to get in. Some Edmonton fans wanted Reilly out and Franklin to get the keys. That fact (Franklin vs Reilly) goes against your little theory. And according to that theory, no one should see Wilder as a legend.
    I loved Kackert, but agree sometimes his legend is way bigger than his accomplishments.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    This "legend" business is interesting. How the word is defined by individuals will determine whether they think someone is a legend, or had a legendary performance. To me, Leon McQuay's fumble is legendary because the story gets passed from generation to generation, just like Bob Baun's broken leg. Are McQuay and Baun "legends" of their sport? Probably not -- I'd reserve such status for guys who were among the greatest at their position, or in the game as a whole, for a decent period of time (Greer, Holloway, Pinball, Corrigall, maybe Shatto, for instance). Flutie probably ranks as an Argo legend even though he was with the team only two years because he was so stunningly dominant over the entire league at that time. As for Kackert, I wouldn't call him a legend, but I'd say his post-season performance in 2012 is legendary.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    This "legend" business is interesting. How the word is defined by individuals will determine whether they think someone is a legend, or had a legendary performance. To me, Leon McQuay's fumble is legendary because the story gets passed from generation to generation, just like Bob Baun's broken leg. Are McQuay and Baun "legends" of their sport? Probably not -- I'd reserve such status for guys who were among the greatest at their position, or in the game as a whole, for a decent period of time (Greer, Holloway, Pinball, Corrigall, maybe Shatto, for instance). Flutie probably ranks as an Argo legend even though he was with the team only two years because he was so stunningly dominant over the entire league at that time. As for Kackert, I wouldn't call him a legend, but I'd say his post-season performance in 2012 is legendary.
    I differ in that, for me, a "decent period of time" is not a requirement for personal (vs event) legend status in any field of life. The best example that I can think of at the moment to communicate my notion would perhaps be Galois: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89variste_Galois

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I loved Kackert, but agree sometimes his legend is way bigger than his accomplishments.
    First Pfeffer, now this. What's going on Angelo ? lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    First Pfeffer, now this. What's going on Angelo ? lol
    Not sure what you are talking about. I've always had that opinion on Kackert.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Not sure what you are talking about. I've always had that opinion on Kackert.
    I know, I'm just not used to you agreeing with me, letting alone twice in one week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Wilder is at it again.

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Wilder is at it again.

When you see other @CFL players released to go to the @NFL in middle of contracts, all your @TorontoArgos coaches in the @CFL shopping around n taking @NFL jobs in the middle of contracts but your told you can't go to the @NFL and have to stay in the @CFL at the league minimum pic.twitter.com/OdJRTWemGW
    — James Wilder Jr (@IAm_Wilder32) February 22, 2018
    https://www.tsn.ca/argos-offer-wilde...sion-1.1012927

Wow. If the Argos offer is indeed genuine and Wilder does not sign his game is up.

Essentially he wanted OUT from the get go....

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Good. Hopefully a reasonable accommodation can still be made.

A salary of "one of the highest-paid running backs in the league" doesn't worry me; other than Andrew Harris I don't think the RBs in this league are making big bucks. Give him Tyrell Sutton money and let's get on with our lives.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    CFL players are still allowed to work at other jobs in the off season are they not. MLSE could probably use another scout checking out Florida for up coming soccer and hockey talent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    TBH I'm hoping he declines; I'd rather not see him or Butler return.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    CFL players are still allowed to work at other jobs in the off season are they not. MLSE could probably use another scout checking out Florida for up coming soccer and hockey talent.
    Locking the doors at the ACC sounds like a pretty good 2nd job too.

Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    TBH I'm hoping he declines; I'd rather not see him or Butler return.
    Looks like our string of agreeing on things is over. I really want Wilder back. He was the best back in the league in the 2nd half of the season and carried the Argos offence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Level
    A few years ago without social media, we would probably never know what goes on before a player signs a contract. Wilder would sign an extension, we would all be happy and have no clue of his discontent. It’s almost like he has to decline now though because of the way he’s put it out there. He can’t cry about playing for league minimum anymore now can he? I do want him back. I wish he wasn’t hanging around Butler though, he would probably have a more open mind.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I'd like to see him back. Whether he does or not may depend on to what extent he received back-channel interest from NFL teams and was therefore willing to sit out a year to obtain a NFL payday as opposed to signing an extension with the Argos.

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Wilder was truly amazing coming down the stretch this past season. However... he's sadly mistaken if he thinks that there's an NFL opportunity waiting 12 months for him out there. His running style is far too upright to be successful down south. He's probably looking at a special teams / practice roster type of role down there at best. He's also not a kid any more... would be 27 by the time he's able to try out for the NFL again. Most fringe running backs are pretty much done by that age.

Wilder would be far better advised to sign the Argos new offer... and to hopefully experience being a big fish in a smaller pond for a couple of years. That's more than most people get.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    Wilder was truly amazing coming down the stretch this past season. However... he's sadly mistaken if he thinks that there's an NFL opportunity waiting 12 months for him out there. His running style is far too upright to be successful down south. He's probably looking at a special teams / practice roster type of role down there at best. He's also not a kid any more... would be 27 by the time he's able to try out for the NFL again. Most fringe running backs are pretty much done by that age.

Wilder would be far better advised to sign the Argos new offer... and to hopefully experience being a big fish in a smaller pond for a couple of years. That's more than most people get.
    Yes I think you are correct. A NFL team got to see James on ST's and probably said whoa, he could help us there. Maybe come in on 3rd down some as well. $480,000 US for several years is quite a jump from $57,000 Ca