Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Argos James Wilder Jr issues statement that he won't be playing in 2018

“it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    He needs to be paid properly and minimum isn't enough.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    What a huge disappointment all around. Was so looking forward to Wilder being a starter for a full season and seeing what he could do. He could have been a key marketing piece to build support for the 2018 season with new fans. They couldn't come up with a little more or a personal services contract?
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Isn't it a situation like this where MLSE could say here is some more money via a personal services contract. I mean whatever he gets paid is a fraction of what they pay their top athletes on their other teams and Wilder is that important to the Argo offence. Without him Ray gets blitzed every down and the Argo attack looks very different.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised but judging from the comments I am in the minority on this one. Zero sympathy from me on reneging on a contract. Without sticking to contracts we are nothing better than the likes of the XFL and we all know all those leagues that have come and gone.

Good player, but nobody the likes of Popp and Trestman can't effectively replace.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    It's really too bad It's coming to this. Hard to see why the team wouldn't give him NFL opportunities. At the same time, he does have a contract at the salary agreed upon. If he didn't have an outstanding season and rookie of the year, no one would bat an eye.

Hopefully, something gets worked out. Otherwise, this will be near or at the top of the list of Q & A during Town Hall.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I can understand where Wilder is coming from, but can't say I feel sorry for him. He signed the deal, and if he didn't have the second half season he had, would we even hear a huff ?
    Hopefully Popp can find us a top notch RB, as I'm not sold on Martese Jackson (5'6") and Ben Malena (5'9") being the every down guys. Coombs looks to be locked in the slot/"hybrid" position, and McDaniel didn't even get a look.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    This is a situation where you can see both sides of the story, good and bad. It really does bring a huge dose of reality for us fans. Think about it, Wilder, a football hero to myself, makes less than half of what most of the employees at my construction firm do. Sad, really. He did sign the contract, at a time that no one else wanted him. The league average works out to around $100k mathematically, but the Argos have too much money set aside for quarterbacks right now. As of note, Wilder got a nice bonus winning the Grey Cup (20g's) so his life is not that terrible, just not guaranteed.

From a player standpoint. It is unfair that a team can get rid of them, whenever they want, if they underperform or are overpaid, yet can hold them hostage if the sign an option contract. Jim Barker would let players go, and we hated him for it. This is what happens when you don't. It's a no win. Our owners pay 10 million to a soccer player, yet can't pay 50g's to our star back, salary cap I know, but explain that to the players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    This situation goes beyond football for the team. Wilder made a name for himself last year and he is a face of this franchise and it's success last year. Extensive marketing and full use of the media juggernaut that is MLSE could have been used to make him a household name amongst the top athletes in the city. On the other side did Wilder give the very new ownership and Popp an opportunity to explore creative avenues to keep him here.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I find it difficult to believe that the Argonauts didn't offer him a significant raise. Sounds like sour grapes about not being released to try out for the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised but judging from the comments I am in the minority on this one. Zero sympathy from me on reneging on a contract. Without sticking to contracts we are nothing better than the likes of the XFL and we all know all those leagues that have come and gone.

Good player, but nobody the likes of Popp and Trestman can't effectively replace.

Exactly.

And I really feel for the poor baby - only making 55K (with added play-off bonus money) for 6 months work, doing a job / playing a game you love. And in doing so - gets a shot at much bigger CFL reward or possibly a huge NFL pay-day down the road.

I was looking forward to seeing him play again for the Argos again too - had a few fantastic games (along with a few sub-par to ordinary ones)

But he can shove that attitude about the CFL up his @r$e sideways IMO; sure, guy's gotta do what he gotta do to take care of himself and his family - everybody gets this. So have fun working construction pal.

And Popp can easily find another good RB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It's very disappointing that he has taken this stance. The Argos are merely playing by the rules -- they've done nothing wrong here. If they had released him to pursue NFL dreams, a lot of fans would be screaming at them. They could have offered to renegotiate his deal, and for all we know maybe they did. But based on half a season, should he jump to the head of the pay scale? Is he about himself, or a team player willing to perform for a full season so he can get a huge second contract?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    This is a situation where you can see both sides of the story, good and bad. It really does bring a huge dose of reality for us fans. Think about it, Wilder, a football hero to myself, makes less than half of what most of the employees at my construction firm do. Sad, really. He did sign the contract, at a time that no one else wanted him. The league average works out to around $100k mathematically, but the Argos have too much money set aside for quarterbacks right now. As of note, Wilder got a nice bonus winning the Grey Cup (20g's) so his life is not that terrible, just not guaranteed.

From a player standpoint. It is unfair that a team can get rid of them, whenever they want, if they underperform or are overpaid, yet can hold them hostage if the sign an option contract. Jim Barker would let players go, and we hated him for it. This is what happens when you don't. It's a no win. Our owners pay 10 million to a soccer player, yet can't pay 50g's to our star back, salary cap I know, but explain that to the players.
    Fair point but he also 'works' half the year and is doing something that he loves.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It's very disappointing that he has taken this stance. The Argos are merely playing by the rules -- they've done nothing wrong here. If they had released him to pursue NFL dreams, a lot of fans would be screaming at them. They could have offered to renegotiate his deal, and for all we know maybe they did. But based on half a season, should he jump to the head of the pay scale? Is he about himself, or a team player willing to perform for a full season so he can get a huge second contract?
    All valid questions.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well, this off-season had become too good to be true. I knew we'd face some adversity sooner or later. This is saddening because we were all looking forward to a full season with him. There is also a tremendous amount of marketing opportunity to go along with the guy because he has an infectious personality as well as all the physical tools.
    Perhaps this is his bargaining tool; going public with the threat of sitting out so the Argos come back with a much better offer?
    In the end, I really don't think many players are there for the team and we as fans are naive if we think so. They are playing for the names on the back of their jerseys much more than the name on the front and especially in a league where comparatively they don't make much, we can't really blame them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Today’s melodramatic announcement begs the question, who is the real James Wilder?
    Humble team first player who seemed grateful the Argos gave him a chance👍
    I’ve given you a half season of good football so pay up or I’m gone!
    You would think there is a compromise in there somewhere?
    Carry on and start recruiting RB’s for training camp.
    Last edited by Argo57; 01-24-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I wouldn't be surprised that Popp did offer more money based on what Wilder did last season. But if James has a good offer from a NFL team he would want to go right away. Making 400,000 + US is a lot different. Import RB's in the CFL are lucky to make 100,000 Can. I also expect his Father really wants him to play in the NFL as he seemed to be involved in whether James would sign with the Argos in the first place.
    We also have to remember the new contract with the CFLPA is coming up next year. That could be a factor in the impasse as well.

This is disappointing to say the least, but the Argos will have to move on and look for a replacement. Something like this happens every year. Somebody good retires for some reason or other. Could open the door for Messam but they won't get him for 56,000 that's for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Of course a contract is a contract, but at the same time how many times do we see coaches getting out of their contracts.
    The old understanding nudge nudge wink wink if a coach can better himself he is let go.
    Same thing for players in our league being let go to try out with the NFL.
    I am not sure how this is any different.
    Bottom line, negotiate with him and give a significant raise to sign a multi year deal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    The other thing that sucks about this is the constant turnover on a CFL roster. Hard to get excited about any player if they are only around for a year or two.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Who can live in Toronto (or Vancouver) for $56,000 a year? I did it 20 years ago, but I was single and that all changed. Maybe one/two years of scraping by as a rookie. But if you're married and pushing 30; no way. Not sure why this long winded statement had to be issued, but it does give us fans a realistic look at what these everyday family men, go through. It's his right to walk away. I would understand. It's too bad, but I get it. Family first, and I have no reason to believe that he doesn't mean that. If I were Popp; however, I would figure out a way to get the man a few more nickels to rub together/ or set him free with a handshake.

He has the ability to move the meters and continue to be a difference maker.

Any idea what Kendall Hunter is doing? Oh, probably saying no to 56K. That's what (;.

I think it's time for the CFLPA to grow a pair and get a bigger percentage of some of these soon to be re-negotiated TV contracts.

If this league wants to be more than a roster turnstile, it's got to get with the times. It's expensive out there; especially playing for 75cents on the dollar