Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If he chooses not to play, I wish him all the best. He is a good person and has the right to do what's best for him and his family.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It's very disappointing that he has taken this stance. The Argos are merely playing by the rules -- they've done nothing wrong here. If they had released him to pursue NFL dreams, a lot of fans would be screaming at them. They could have offered to renegotiate his deal, and for all we know maybe they did. But based on half a season, should he jump to the head of the pay scale? Is he about himself, or a team player willing to perform for a full season so he can get a huge second contract?
    Amen, had he played this season they likely would have let him take an NFL shot, but after this short amount of time, please.

I think the other teams would want to kill the Argos if they give in to this guy. That's not one place you want to open the floodgates on, because you could never go back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm not totally surprised by this. After his huge breakout I found it hard to believe he'd come back for the league minimum. This is tough on both sides. His NFL opportunities were all dried up when he signed with the Argos. He obviously benefitted greatly from the coaches and players.
    So he should live up to the contract as he'd still be out of football without the Argos.
    That being said, the league minimum is just too low. So I understand his point.
    From the Argos side, they may have offered more money for this year. But it may have required an extension, or maybe not. More money from the Argos would still be nothing compared to NFL, so Wilder may have already decided he wasn't coming back.

Turnover is bad enough and I don't want to go back to the Barker way of signing players with the handshake they'll be released after one year if NFL opportunities arise.

Not sure how this turns out but I also have faith in Popp and everyone to find another gem of a running back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I understand both sides but if the Argos did give in to a public ultimatum and released him or paid him more, they would be more likely to face the same threat from others in the future. Too bad it could not have been settled in some manner behind the scenes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Seems like only a couple weeks ago JWJ was proclaiming at 1,000 1,000 season for 2018. I feel this will work out well in the end for both the Argos and Wilder.

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Who can live in Toronto (or Vancouver) for $56,000 a year? I did it 20 years ago, but I was single and that all changed. Maybe one/two years of scraping by as a rookie. But if you're married and pushing 30; no way. Not sure why this long winded statement had to be issued, but it does give us fans a realistic look at what these everyday family men, go through. It's his right to walk away. I would understand. It's too bad, but I get it. Family first, and I have no reason to believe that he doesn't mean that. If I were Popp; however, I would figure out a way to get the man a few more nickels to rub together/ or set him free with a handshake.

He has the ability to move the meters and continue to be a difference maker.

Any idea what Kendall Hunter is doing? Oh, probably saying no to 56K. That's what (;.

I think it's time for the CFLPA to grow a pair and get a bigger percentage of some of these soon to be re-negotiated TV contracts.

If this league wants to be more than a roster turnstile, it's got to get with the times. It's expensive out there; especially playing for 75cents on the dollar
    Don't forget that it is $56k for the football season (and the football season is not 12 months!). While I do think that the cap should be higher to allow for higher minimum salaries, it is widely known that most of those who play in the CFL also have other full time jobs in the offseason. Thus their annual salary is not $56k but $56k + off-season earnings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan81 View Post
    Don't forget that it is $56k for the football season (and the football season is not 12 months!). While I do think that the cap should be higher to allow for higher minimum salaries, it is widely known that most of those who play in the CFL also have other full time jobs in the offseason. Thus their annual salary is not $56k but $56k + off-season earnings.

PLUS - how much is play-off/GC bonus money?

Again - the guy made probably 80K for 6 months work.

Thanks for coming out though pal; see ya later. There's tons of football players who would be proud to play for the GC Champion Toronto Argonauts; and some of them would do so starting out at CFL minimum, with the hopes for a raise down the road - AFTER they honour the contract they sign.

Sure - the CFL cap & minimum salary should be higher.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    It's January. I'm not worried.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    - Wilder is underpaid and I sympathize with his reluctance to injure his brain (etc.) without appropriate compensation
    - The team needs to underpay players when it can, so it can afford to overpay players who have bargaining power
    - A high profile holdout brings press attention, which helps the team
    - The idea that we can easily replace Wilder is... unrealistic (note that I didn't say laughable)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It looks as if he really wants to go to the NFL, now some teams have showed an interest in him.

I suspect that Popp would be willing to give him a substantial raise if he would agree to extend his contract to another year. Something like $100,000 to $125,00 for the 2018 and $125,000 to$150,000 for 2019. It looks as if he would much rather take his chances on the NFL (which has already rejected once)

He seems like a fine young man who is getting bad advice. Disappointed that he has decided to negotiate in public--not a good move.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    It's January. I'm not worried.
    Agreed. The two sides will ultimately agree to split this down the middle meaning that Wilder will get a sizable raise for 2018 but be a free agent following the season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I understand both sides but if the Argos did give in to a public ultimatum and released him or paid him more, they would be more likely to face the same threat from others in the future.
    This is an exceptional case. They could make it clear the only time they will renegotiate an entry-level contract is if the player wins an individual league award.

I hope we give Wilder whatever he wants to come back and play in 2018. Even if it's only for one season, this guy is a thrill to watch and cheer for. But surely he realizes that another big CFL season will lead to a much better NFL offer in 2019 than he would get if he sits out 2018.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If you give in to Wilder, why wouldn't you be expected to give in to every other player making $56k, or whatever? Teams have to play within the cap, and should not be handing out money at the point of a gun. If Wilder wants to sit, he can sit. If he really expects to sit out this year and still end up with an NFL deal in 2019, he might be in for some disappointment.

As for the NFL, are we to infer that the agreement between the leagues to honour one another's contracts does not also prohibit tampering with players under contract?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Agreed. The two sides will ultimately agree to split this down the middle meaning that Wilder will get a sizable raise for 2018 but be a free agent following the season.
    Why do that? If you're providing a big raise when you don't have to, shouldn't you get something back, like a commitment not to leave as soon as possible? I grant that Wilder brings value on the field, but it's not as if he's irreplaceable. I think Popp's stance should be -- we'll give you a big raise, IF you commit for two years, not one.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    - Wilder is underpaid and I sympathize with his reluctance to injure his brain (etc.) without appropriate compensation
    - The idea that we can easily replace Wilder is... unrealistic
    It's his career choice, same as the similar low rookie salaries at TFC. And replacing him is totally realistic, if not likely, especially with a talent birddog like Popp. The American football factories put out tons of good players and for a myriad of reasons some fall through the cracks.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Paul, I think you are reading this correctly. This guy want to negotiate at the point of a gun, Argos have to walk away from him. Same with Johnny Football, he wants everything before he's proven anything. At least JWJ had half a year, but still not enough in my books. Maybe he thinks his name value will get him somewhere except that didn't work before.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    This is my gut feeling also.

I don't see this as a black and white/as it's written kind of issue.

There are exceptional considerations, and exceptionally considerate and thoughtful people like Jim Popp usually make them; because they make sense.

I see compromise as the first good chance to get JWJ back with a shot at 1,000+1,000 next season. Then he can go on and make - at least - $400,000 for a couple of years in the NFL, and possibly a lot more. Both are positives in my book.

Compromise, in certain circumstances, doesn't have to mean the flood gates crumble.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just release him and let him try the NFL. If he makes it, good for him. If exhausts his NFL opportunities, he should come back fully committed to the CFL. He said he wanted to use the CFL to get back to the NFL, which every player wants at the start but if he changes that mindset after no real NFL shot, he can become a star in the CFL.

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan81 View Post
    Yes, so don't blame the guy if he makes the choice not to play for $56k Canadian in one of the most expensive cities in North America.
    Like all players he pays taxes in Canada but unlike other workers in this country they get ZERO workers comp if he gets injured. The CFL turns their back on injured players.
    All of us are free to quit our jobs and move on in our trade or profession even if we do sign on the dotted line when we start work with a company.
    It's too bad that he is locked in now and not allowed to pursue his trade.
    The Argos should do the right thing ad re-negotiate his contract, he was one of the main reasons for the Grey Cup.
    If it opens the flood gates for other players so what? at least he has proven after his first year that he deserves to be paid more.

It looks like he will stay in Tampa and be involved with his clothing apparel business and his motivational speaking. He's put his family first.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Perhaps an extension, with a signing bonus for this year, and an out to shop his services to the NFL for '19. That sounds like a great compromise.
    It's us vs the rest of the country