Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    exactly if you feel your underpaid, just sign an extension. definately 140k for 2019 is market value, plus a signing/roster bonus for $75k top up to his current deal.

or else, just sit in texas. and popp & argos will move on to the next RB. I'm not to worried about this. Why pay more for an import back. they r a dime-a-dozen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    By the sound of it, it seems as though Wilder is far more concerned about taking another NFL shot, than he is about getting more money from the Argonauts. So, the team should move on and let him go, RB's are a dime a dozen, and I highly doubt Wilder's running style will work long term in the NFL or CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    What Popp saw in Wilder originally was, in addition to being possibly a top-notch first string RB, his potential to be a very good ST player, something the NFL teams had never checked out. So, even if he didn't make it as a RB in the NFL which I think is unlikely at least as a backup, NFL teams will now be looking at him as a ST player. Being right sometimes brings about other problems.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    RB's are a dime a dozen. But RBs that can break off huge runs and play with heart are not. Those guys are hard to find, and not plentiful. The last back we had with that capability was Chad Kackert, and the team won a Grey Cup and he was it's MVP. The Argos with Ricky Ray as QB, need that big play back to take the pressure off our O-Line and Ricky's lack of mobility. It is the only way for defences to not pin their ears back every time and blitz. They have to respect the run now. Any other run of the mill back will not accomplish that.

This could play into Ricky's decision now too. Now with Franklin as QB we can probably get away with an average RB.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    What Popp saw in Wilder originally was, in addition to being possibly a top-notch first string RB, his potential to be a very good ST player, something the NFL teams had never checked out.
    In fact Wilder played a lot of ST in the NFL, and he came up here because he believed he was being typecast as a ST player.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    RB's are a dime a dozen. But RBs that can break off huge runs and play with heart are not. Those guys are hard to find, and not plentiful.
    Amen to this. I am so sick of people saying this "dime-a-dozen" thing when it is so obviously untrue. Wilder is an exceptional talent whose skills would be very hard to replace.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    In fact Wilder played a lot of ST in the NFL, and he came up here because he believed he was being typecast as a ST player.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but Wilder never played in the NFL - except for in exhibition games.

He did show flashes of great form last year - big, powerful back with speed who broke some big gainers; and that catch in the East Final helped the Argos get to the Grail. He also had some average to mediocre games, and he had 9 carries for 14 yards (1.4 average) in the GC game.

When he puts in a full season and leads the league in rushing, or maintains that gaudy 7 per/carry type average over a full season - THEN - he can come back and talk all he wants - and after that type of season, after finishing the 2nd year of the contract he signed - he would have been in for a big CFL raise and pay-day. I wouldn't take him back now after that whining in public. Go ahead and play in the NFL there superstar - they wouldn't give you a job & pay-cheque like the Argos did last year.

Veteran player agent Darren Gill has commented there are lots of football players begging to get a shot to play in the CFL. There are other good RBs out there - no, not easy to find and that "dime a dozen" thinking is nonsense IMO; but the Argos could find a very capable RB - maybe one better who plays a full season with great stats, and was not an NFL name via his dad or an over-hyped NCAA all-american hero. See Gill Fenerty or Mike Jenkins. The Argos could also think of drafting Western's CIS all-star RB Alex Taylor - my guess is he would be proud to get a CFL shot and not be whining for a bigger contract or an out to go to the NFL after one year in the CFL.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Fyi

the toronto argonauts released the following statement today on rb james widler jr.: “as per league rules, all players entering the cfl must sign a minimum two year contract. James wilder jr. Is currently entering the second year of that entry contract. We have not had any discussions with james about extending or restructuring his current contract. Nor have we had any discussions with his representation. League rules also state that teams, whether in the cfl or nfl, are prohibited from contacting any player currently under contract.
    We appreciate all of the contributions james made to the argonauts last year. We certainly hope he changes his stance and would welcome his return.”

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Level
    Having stewed over this fiasco over the last two days and reading the Argonauts statement, 3Down Nation's article on Wilder Jr. and the always laughable Duron Carter, my more than 2 cents:

1) Someone is lying - Argonauts say they have not been in touch Wilder or his reps. Wilder claims he reached out to them, and the Argos are willing to give him a raise, provided he extend his current CFL deal.
    Either Wilder or the Argos are lying...

2) Precedent- If I am correct Victor Butler is in Year 1 of his deal, having played 3-4 seasons for the Dallas Cowboys previously. His sack and QB pressure statistics were off the charts the first 6 weeks of the season. Then he got injured.
    Wonder if he revolted like Wilder - would Popp agree? Likely not.

If Popp were to give in to Wilder Jr. - it should make every GM in the league quiver - as it would set a dangerous precedent for the future.

3) Love all the analogies and comparisons of Wilder's employment with that of the "Real World'. Arguments that he makes prorated pay for 6 months vs. his Grey Cup bonus vs his taxation structure in Canada.

Fact of the matter is that in a capitalistic world, none of us, (athletes excluded) work in a hard salary cap system. While organizations have budgetary restrictions, they do not have consequences dictated by those like the CFL.

Simply put, the want($$) is by many, and the dollars to go around are few. Unfair to Wilder? Maybe. Perhaps he can sit out until 2020 - and join the XFL.!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong - but Wilder never played in the NFL - except for in exhibition games.
    He definitely played on specials with the Bills and was noticed for it, but he never touched the ball when he was there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilz View Post
    3) Love all the analogies and comparisons of Wilder's employment with that of the "Real World'. Arguments that he makes prorated pay for 6 months vs. his Grey Cup bonus vs his taxation structure in Canada.
    Pretty sure Wilder, like most Americans, gets U.S taxation not Canadian. Hence why signing bonuses are such a big deal in the CFL nowadays (Around 15% tax rate on bonuses in the U.S IIRC).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree with everyone that this situation is regrettable. While I can see Wilder's position, he should not forget that if it were not for the CFL and the Argos, he would be out of football... period. The other thing that bothers me is that he has made it clear he never intended to make the CFL his permanent home. His only intention is to try to get back to the NFL. Well, if he does sit out an entire season... good luck with that. While it might be true that he could make more money even on an NFL practise roster, the reality is he has better potential for a successful and long career - playing, not sitting - here in Canada. If he doesn't or can't see that, then I wish him all the best, and thank him for what he contributed. I don't see how the team can bend and make an exception for him if he is not willing to commit long term.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    He definitely played on specials with the Bills and was noticed for it, but he never touched the ball when he was there.
    He has never dressed for a regular season NFL game. All his playing time with both Buffalo and Cincy were pre-season.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    He has never dressed for a regular season NFL game. All his playing time with both Buffalo and Cincy were pre-season.
    Hence why he was eligible to win CFL ROY.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    OK, fair enough, the point I was trying to make was that the NFL people knew Wilder was a good special teams player. From a Bills article from 2016:

“I’ve been impressed by James Wilder” (Bills Head Coach Rex) Ryan said when asked about who has stepped up in the absence of Karlos Williams. “But the other thing is he’s actually a very good special teams player. That’s something that jumped out to our scouts and obviously that was what was told to me, so I’m excited to see him when we really starting scrimmaging and things like that, (see) how he does.”

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I agree with everyone that this situation is regrettable. While I can see Wilder's position, he should not forget that if it were not for the CFL and the Argos, he would be out of football... period. The other thing that bothers me is that he has made it clear he never intended to make the CFL his permanent home. His only intention is to try to get back to the NFL. Well, if he does sit out an entire season... good luck with that. While it might be true that he could make more money even on an NFL practise roster, the reality is he has better potential for a successful and long career - playing, not sitting - here in Canada. If he doesn't or can't see that, then I wish him all the best, and thank him for what he contributed. I don't see how the team can bend and make an exception for him if he is not willing to commit long term.
    his agent is advising him. anyone know who that is?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    At least he's well off enough to take a year off without pay.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Much easier to posture in January. I'll be very surprised if he isn't in training camp.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Wilder needs to be careful as U.S. running backs are a dime a dozen whose careers rarely last past the age of 31.

Sure, he can sit out a year, but what NFL team is going to sign a 27-year-old guy to play RB who hasn't played in 2 years? And then there's the fact that he'd actually have to make the NFL team's roster.

My guess is Wilder is trying to get more money out of the Argos for this season, which I don't blame him. But I'll be surprised if he isn't in camp.

Also, including preseason and postseason pay, Wilder made around $80K Canadian last year. Not life-changing money, but certainly not a bad gig for working May-November. (And then he'll have the option of selling his Grey Cup ring for probably $5K or more if he wants).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    There is no like-for-like replacement for JWJ.

He is a 6'2, 235 pound RB with breakaway speed, who can run inside of outside of the tackles, block and catch. He is a legitimate 1k/1k possibility, on 122 rushes, 34 were over 10 yards and 7 of those were over 20 and nobody was anywhere near his yards per carry and he only got going after week 13. It was the spark that changed our fortunes and powered our run to the GC.

We can easily double his wages without hurting the SMS. And although we can't change his contract without an extension, Gentleman's Agreements have happened quite a bit in Toronto in recent years.

There is no like-for-like replacement. We find a way for it to make sense for him to risk injury while hopefully driving up his value to NFL clubs in 2019, or we both lose. That's why it'll happen.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN