Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Much easier to posture in January. I'll be very surprised if he isn't in training camp.
    I am thinking this way too, especially how things are recently turning out. When I analyze Wilder's statement, it's full of unknowns and possible contradictions, depending on truths. He's thinking about his family, yet wants his NFL shot. Having another great, even good season in Canada would get him a better shot than some training camp invite. Several teams probably means 2. How serious are they really? Now, the Argos claim they haven't talked to him, which is believable because he said the Argos won't give him his fair value. He's probably just assuming and likely correct. What's the point of his statement? To pressure the team? Informing the fans doesn't pressure Popp any more. Last year, he was so great full to get a shot, now he's a no show. I can't help but think he's being influenced, not just by family. In fact, if you follow a lot of Argos players on Twitter, a few have been preaching the mindset to chase the dollar or get "paid". Seems like a few of the boys got big heads after winning the cup. I get it, even support it, but even more reason for Argos management to stick to their rights.

I must say, stuff like this sure hurts my CFL fandom. For the last several years, it's felt like Ricky Ray and a bunch of new guys every season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    There is no like-for-like replacement for JWJ.

He is a 6'2, 235 pound RB with breakaway speed, who can run inside of outside of the tackles, block and catch. He is a legitimate 1k/1k possibility, on 122 rushes, 34 were over 10 yards and 7 of those were over 20 and nobody was anywhere near his yards per carry and he only got going after week 13. It was the spark that changed our fortunes and powered our run to the GC.

We can easily double his wages without hurting the SMS. And although we can't change his contract without an extension, Gentleman's Agreements have happened quite a bit in Toronto in recent years.

There is no like-for-like replacement. We find a way for it to make sense for him to risk injury while hopefully driving up his value to NFL clubs in 2019, or we both lose. That's why it'll happen.
    If he was THAT good he wouldn't have had to wait until age 25 to get a full-time job in pro football. He had 6 really good games and cleared the 100-yard rushing mark a whopping 4 times.
    Let's let him have a really good season before we start proclaiming him the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Again, he's a RB, and an American one at that, and is therefore the most replaceable person on the CFL field.

I have no problem with him wanting or getting more money, but he doesn't have a ton of leverage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    By the sound of it, it seems as though Wilder is far more concerned about taking another NFL shot, than he is about getting more money from the Argonauts. So, the team should move on and let him go, RB's are a dime a dozen, and I highly doubt Wilder's running style will work long term in the NFL or CFL.
    100% agree. It doesn't sound like Wilder even reached out to the Argos about more money. I think he's set on the NFL no matter what the Argos offer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    And another thing! Zicarelli pointed this out but I also took note of it during the last few games of the season. As Wilder gained success the me first attitude started coming out. Anyone else note at the Grey Cup celebration he made a point of being right there beside the podium! Have to think some long time Argos/CFL players took note of that as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Popp, Trestman and the Argos staff really worked hard at building the team first family atmosphere that contributed in large part to their Grey Cup win.
    One player who really seemed to embrace this was James Wilder the same player who only weeks later has decided to villainize the organization as cheap and insensitive to either a new contract or most importantly another shot at NFL stardom and the riches that go along with it.
    I was really impressed with his apparent team first attitude but I’m not sure how genuine he really was in hindsight.
    I have no doubt that he deserves a better contract but his negotiating ploy has left the Argos organization open to criticism which simply isn’t justified and I wonder if this will close the door on him returning.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    FWIW Wilder made closer to $77k with playoff bonuses.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Wilder comments on the situation in the following interview.

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/24/ja...family-dreams/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    After re-reading the Wilder press statement and the Argo statement, I agree with a number of the previous posters.
    . It appears, Wilder believes he deserves the right to pursue NFL opportunities, regardless of his contractual obligations to the Argos

. Expressions of interest from any NFL club contravenes NFL and CFL rules regarding contact with players presently under contract

. It appears that someone has advised Wilder to go public, to put pressure on the club to release him

. The Argos and CFL can't allow a precedent to be set whereby 2 year contracts are cancelled on the wishes of a player

. Wilder has no leverage in this case-if he sits out a year he weakens his position with any NFL team

. Renegotiating of his contract seems to be a "he says"/"he says" situation but the club categorically denies there have been any such discussions.

Wilder really has only three choice--a)sit out all next year b)play this year, at his present salary c)agree to extend his contract in exchange for a significant salary increase. Choice C would appear to be the best option for Wilder. Here's hoping he see the reason for making such a decision.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Wilder comments on the situation in the following interview.

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/24/ja...family-dreams/
    The more he comments, the more I say let him sit in 2018 and see you later.
    Argos had a lot of positive vibes after the championship and now this guy can’t stop whining.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    And although we can't change his contract without an extension, Gentleman's Agreements have happened quite a bit in Toronto in recent years.
    If you mean that would be illegal in the CFL, I believe that is incorrect. The Argos and Wilder could agree on a new one-year contract, to replace the remaining year on his two-year deal. I've already said I don't think that should happen, but it could happen.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Good article here from Frank Z. So much so, that after drinking in the all facts, I have changed my position on James Wilder Jr.

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...-in-2018/page4

The more I think of it, the more I noticed some things along the way that were irritating me. Like selling "Get Wilder" T-Shirts; it seemed so un-CFL, if you'll pardon the expression.

I have no problem with these players taking care of their families and doing what they need to do, but I think using that (in the media) as an apparent attempt at bargaining his way out of his obligations (his word) for his perceived shot at the NFL. That is pretty much a 'me first.'

I now agree with some of the others here; he should have quietly discussed this with Jim Popp and it may have worked out in his favour.

Now?

I don't know, what is he going to say next week? From the 1,000 & 1,000 tweet to a grocery list of complaints, I may not be able to believe what he says next time.

Time for the Argos to prepare to move on. If JWJ wants to be an Argo, make him earn it again in TC -- because in reality, that's what its all about in pro sports regardless of how grandiose your T-shirts make you feel.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    According to his Instagram story, he seems surprised that the CFL contacted him to cancel a photo shoot in February. They stated that it was in light of his comments to sit out and that they would only feature current CFL players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Good article here from Frank Z. So much so, that after drinking in the all facts, I have changed my position on James Wilder Jr.

The more I think of it, the more I noticed some things along the way that were irritating me. Like selling "Get Wilder" T-Shirts; it seemed so un-CFL, if you'll pardon the expression.

I have no problem with these players taking care of their families and doing what they need to do, but I think using that (in the media) as an apparent attempt at bargaining his way out of his obligations (his word) for his perceived shot at the NFL. That is pretty much a 'me first.'

I now agree with some of the others here; he should have quietly discussed this with Jim Popp and it may have worked out in his favour.

Now?

I don't know, what is he going to say next week? From the 1,000 & 1,000 tweet to a grocery list of complaints, I may not be able to believe what he says next time.

Time for the Argos to prepare to move on. If JWJ wants to be an Argo, make him earn it again in TC -- because in reality, that's what its all about in pro sports regardless of how grandiose your T-shirts make you feel.
    Wilder is an adult. He signed a contract. Argos will need to prepare to move on and find RBs to compete in training camp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    According to his Instagram story, he seems surprised that the CFL contacted him to cancel a photo shoot in February. They stated that it was in light of his comments to sit out and that they would only feature current CFL players.
    Obvious outcome. Let’s do a profile on a guy that probably is never coming back! LOL. Got to live the consequences of your decisions.

The Frank Z article is here http://torontosun.com/sports/footbal...aight#comments

I’d like to think I was neutral, maybe leaning towards Wilder, but like Gonzo, the more facts that come out, it’s hard to back him up. Especially with all the questionable statements. I drank the Wilder juice too (that doesn’t sound good, but u know what I mean), even encouraged him via social media. He interacted with fans well. Thought it was all fun, but clearly the constant encouragement had some negative effects.
    Last edited by ArgoZ; 01-26-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    If NFL teams are expressing interest it would probably be through his father. Or maybe the other way around, his father is canvassing teams to gauge their interest. I can see some teams saying hey we didn't see this guys ST talent and he has become an excellent 3rd down receiver with yac yards out of the backfield. That would be of value to some teams down there. Minimum salary with slight increase for three years before they have to pay top dollar. Could fit the bill for what team are looking for. So a three year contract for over a million US sounds pretty good compared to being paid 56,000 Canadian. Should have asked for an out in his contract, but maybe he didn't have that much leverage at the time. I don't think anyone (including Jim Popp) would not want to make the most money he could during the small window of one's football time.
    Best case I can see is for James to sign an extension with a signing bonus for last year and with an out in his contract after the 2018 season.

Boatman
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Lot of good points raised in this thread so I'll try avoid repeating any. The one thought that kept recurring while reading the posts is that it's too bad we don't have a transfer fee system like soccer or a posting fee like Japanese baseball. If an NFL team was willing to pay 100K to the Argos for the right to give him a tryout plus 10% of his contract if he makes it with the condition he returns to the Argos if cut I feel like it could be a win-win-win for CFL team, NFL team, and player.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post

Now?

My feelings as well Gonzo, at this point cut bait with the malcontents who for some bizarre reason seem intent on damaging the organizations reputation.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Lot of good points raised in this thread so I'll try avoid repeating any. The one thought that kept recurring while reading the posts is that it's too bad we don't have a transfer fee system like soccer or a posting fee like Japanese baseball. If an NFL team was willing to pay 100K to the Argos for the right to give him a tryout plus 10% of his contract if he makes it with the condition he returns to the Argos if cut I feel like it could be a win-win-win for CFL team, NFL team, and player.
    That's a great idea.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    The transfer system works well because it's transparent. Fans usually can't argue when your team gets above value for one of their players. It's money to bring it more players, etc. Your idea would expose how truly interested NFL teams would be instead of these future contracts, try outs and kicking tires we always here about (with no confirmation of course).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Wilder would have likely been one of the featured players during the big week that the league now holds in February (I think it is in Winnipeg this year). It is unfortunate that he will not be a part of that now.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force