Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Should Argos Consider Signing Jerome Messam

With Wilder trying to bolt the team, should the Argos consider going after Jerome Messam in free agency, which is only two weeks away?
    Messam has definite advantages as a RB: a proven track record including two 1,000+ yard seasons in the last two years; he is a National who opens up a space elsewhere for an International; his size forces defences to not simply continually tee off on sacking the immobile Ray (if he returns) or other Argo QB because that would leave holes for him to plough through; he may be interested in returning to his birthplace; and he has demonstrated that he has matured out of his bad boy days into a team player who is now a role model to others.
    On the other hand, at 32 he is old for a RB (but SJ Green came back from a crippling injury to have the best season of his career at 32, although receivers do not face the punishment RBs do); he has never been much of a receiver, which is especially limiting in such a pass-oriented offence that often uses its RBs to catch passes; last year injuries limited his production as the season wore on and his average rush fell to 4.7 yards, the lowest since 2013, signs that age may be catching up with him; and as a National star he would be a costly addition, limiting the money available to resign and recruit others.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think you may have answered your own questions on several accounts.
    Messam is getting older, doesn’t have the best hands and perhaps most importantly would cost a bundle to sign.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'd sign him to a ONE year contract.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Agree with Gabe, 1 year.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I would like to see Messam come here as well. Especially if Ricky comes back. One year contracts don't mean much as a player can be cut at any time.
    I also am in favour of one year contracts now and no neg list. Because of the huge difference in money now between the NFL and CFL it is only fair to let a player try for the big money. Most will be back and it creates good will.
    With the Salary Cap now enforced why does a team need to hoard players, especially QB's and play dog in the manager. It would also help keep parity in the League. Every team is paying basically the same money for every position, and if a team goes too high on one position they will have to go cheaper somewhere else in the lineup. See Hamilton the last couple of years.
    The name of the game IMO is to get the best players possible into the within the ratio. Neg lists for the imports prevents that IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I would like to see Messam come here as well. Especially if Ricky comes back. One year contracts don't mean much as a player can be cut at any time.
    I also am in favour of one year contracts now and no neg list. Because of the huge difference in money now between the NFL and CFL it is only fair to let a player try for the big money. Most will be back and it creates good will.
    With the Salary Cap now enforced why does a team need to hoard players, especially QB's and play dog in the manager. It would also help keep parity in the League. Every team is paying basically the same money for every position, and if a team goes too high on one position they will have to go cheaper somewhere else in the lineup. See Hamilton the last couple of years.
    The name of the game IMO is to get the best players possible into the within the ratio. Neg lists for the imports prevents that IMO.
    Argos have plenty of other players to sign, Messam would command a pretty hefty salary which would hamper the team from addressing other needs.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not as long as the Argos use a back that needs to block and catch downfield passes. 95% of the passes Messam catches are screens. He doesn't have good hands, and should be a better pass protector than he is. Great runner, but doesn't fit in to the Argos offensive style.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There is an error in the first post. I said that Messam had two 1000+ yard season his last two years. He actually has done it three years in a row as I forgot to add his Saskatchewan and Calgary rushing totals for 2015. However, it does not otherwise change my analysis.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    No, to me a cry baby and a bus thrower underer (well a lot of the Stamps are like that)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    No. If we had wanted to sign him, we should have done it before he went to Calgary. I think his best years are behind him and like others, I don't feel he would be worth the $$ we would have to pay him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    No thanks, for the reasons Angelo brought up, and while I'd love to see the Argos use a true running back, Messam getting to the point now where the end is probably near.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Still like the idea of Messam lined up behind Ricky. He still looked pretty good to me last year. Trestman wouldn't use him as an every down as Calgary didn't. I agree he isn't as good as Wilder catching the ball but he is still a load taking that swing pass good yardage against those much smaller DB's.
    Would he give the Argos a home town discount? That's the question. He may stay in Calgary, they have every chance of being in the 2018 GC. But so do the Argos if Ray comes back. Where else would he go? Been there done that on several teams. BC, Edm, Sask, Cal, Mon. Can't see Winnipeg wanting him with Harris there. Ottawa? maybe. Hamilton ?? they may have too much money tied up signing their own guys plus Manziel.
    But if Ricky doesn't come back (but I think he will) Messam might not be as valuable IMO as it might be a different type offense. Can't think of a better guy that's available though then Messam to help slow down the pass rush by just keep feeding him the ball to set up one of Ricky's home run tosses. We saw it happen last year once Wilder got in there. Really cut down the times Ricky got hit. Calgary has been showing the League what works for years. A good big tough RB to go with a drop back passer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Would he give the Argos a home town discount? That's the question. He may stay in Calgary, they have every chance of being in the 2018 GC. But so do the Argos if Ray comes back. Where else would he go? Been there done that on several teams. BC, Edm, Sask, Cal, Mon. Can't see Winnipeg wanting him with Harris there. Ottawa? maybe.
    I can't see Ottawa going after him as they just spent $ signing Internationals William Powell, who was second in rushing despite playing only 12 games, and Mossis Madu as backup, as well as having Nationals Brendan Gillander and the recently signed 2017 Hec Crighton winner Ed Ilnicki.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I can't see Ottawa going after him as they just spent $ signing Internationals William Powell, who was second in rushing despite playing only 12 games, and Mossis Madu as backup, as well as having Nationals Brendan Gillander and the recently signed 2017 Hec Crighton winner Ed Ilnicki.

I can't see many CFL teams being interested in Messam - due to high salary he would command, plus age/mileage.

Have to agree with AV that he may not be a real good fit with the Argo offence - if it stays mostly the same; though any team could use a big, powerful back if they want to establish lots of run. Declan Cross could have an even bigger role as a receiver out of H-back; and Wilder can be replaced by a young import back - who should come cheap and maybe very talented. Too bad that Popp wouldn't draft RB Alex Taylor out of Western AND give him a shot to compete for the RB job (at least i doubt that happens - but you never know)

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    His age and his YPC dropping by ~ a yard between 2016 and 2017 is enough for me to want the Argos to stay away, especially if the depth situation behind him is murky.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022