Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Simple answer? It's allowed in that league. The CFL still has to OK every single player contract that is signed before it becomes official. The league will not allow those types of contracts, therefore they will not happen.
    For years, Anthony Calvillo supposedly had a $250-300k deal that went through the League and a $200+k personal services contract with Bob Wetenhall Sr. The League might have no issue with the "Publicly Owned" teams, but privately owned teams can do a lot of back door type of deals without anyone knowing.

I'd like to see an exemption on the SMS for starting QB contracts. I think it'll go a long way, but I also think there should be a cap on it, say $600k. When you think about it, CFL QB salaries haven't risen much over the last 30 years, take out Flutie's personal services contract with the Argonauts and it seems as though $400-500k has been the going rate for quite some time. Didn't Dunigan want/make around $450k when he left the Argos ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I'd like to see an exemption on the SMS for starting QB contracts. I think it'll go a long way, but I also think there should be a cap on it, say $600k. When you think about it, CFL QB salaries haven't risen much over the last 30 years, take out Flutie's personal services contract with the Argonauts and it seems as though $400-500k has been the going rate for quite some time. Didn't Dunigan want/make around $450k when he left the Argos ?
    Curious to know in what way you think a QB exemption would benefit the league? Are there good QBs who won't come to the CFL for the current going rate, but would for another couple hundred grand? Are we losing QBs to the NFL? Would Canadians be more impressed with the CFL if QBs were all making half a mil or more? If we were to do this, shouldn't it be to fill some need rather than simply to address the fact that QB salaries have not kept pace with inflation?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    For years, Anthony Calvillo supposedly had a $250-300k deal that went through the League and a $200+k personal services contract with Bob Wetenhall Sr. The League might have no issue with the "Publicly Owned" teams, but privately owned teams can do a lot of back door type of deals without anyone knowing.

That's interesting. So in 2018 terms, Matt Dunigan's salary should be around $800,000. Considering prices have escalated about 80%* since 1991, players wages have woefully lagged behind.

Certainly tickets prices haven't stood pat. Last time I looked, 1992 lower bowl Argos tickets were $13 each.

Looking forward to professional management of the teams and the league.

*According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

This is the first I've heard of that. The league has made it clear that personal services deals aren't allowed, so I have my doubts whether or not this is fact.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    This is the first I've heard of that. The league has made it clear that personal services deals aren't allowed, so I have my doubts whether or not this is fact.
    The last guy I can recall who had a personal services contract was Doug Flutie in Calgary with Larry Ryckman. I believe that personal services deals were outlawed at some point in the 1990s.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    That's interesting. So in 2018 terms, Matt Dunigan's salary should be around $800,000. Considering prices have escalated about 80%* since 1991, players wages have woefully lagged behind.

Certainly tickets prices haven't stood pat. Last time I looked, 1992 lower bowl Argos tickets were $13 each.

Looking forward to professional management of the teams and the league.

*According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index
    Again, nevermind the fact that the league was on the verge of folding in the 90's. Without cost certainty, I can guarantee that the new owners in the league today would have kicked tires, but not bought in. Do salaries need to be tied more to revenues? Absolutely. But to throw money around by having designated contracts would be playing Russian roulette for the league IMO.

I would say that ticket prices have MAX doubled (not including the some 300 or so premium seats on field level) in the last 25 years. Well. so pretty much has the salary cap since it was first put in. The cap started below 3M. This $13 lower bowl ticket is such BS. I remember sitting lower bowl end zone in the 90's on occassion, and they were $20 then. When the dome opened in '89, 500 level seats between the 30's were $26-$32. I know for a fact because I sat there. You need to stop pulling such BS numbers out of your ass. And rather than whining on here all the time, why have I not seen you voice your opinion at town halls or open mic night?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    What on earth are all those cheap Argo ticket pictures on Google images? Surely, it fake news! Google's attempt to discredit discerning Argos critics.

I don't need to impress anyone with clever questions, or longwinded opinions, when I can ask them directly. In fact, I'll be speaking to both of them tonight. Anything you wished asked?
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    1992 $13.00 ticket image & 1993 $13.50 ticket image:

https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&b...=1518028812952

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ask Herb Zurkowsky or the guy who runs the CFL News account.
    Again, nevermind the fact that the league was on the verge of folding in the 90's. Without cost certainty, I can guarantee that the new owners in the league today would have kicked tires, but not bought in. Do salaries need to be tied more to revenues? Absolutely. But to throw money around by having designated contracts would be playing Russian roulette for the league IMO.

I would say that ticket prices have MAX doubled (not including the some 300 or so premium seats on field level) in the last 25 years. Well. so pretty much has the salary cap since it was first put in. The cap started below 3M. This $13 lower bowl ticket is such BS. I remember sitting lower bowl end zone in the 90's on occassion, and they were $20 then. When the dome opened in '89, 500 level seats between the 30's were $26-$32. I know for a fact because I sat there. You need to stop pulling such BS numbers out of your ass. And rather than whining on here all the time, why have I not seen you voice your opinion at town halls or open mic night?
    The previous "cap" was a farce, as very few if any aside from the Renegades actually spent at or under the cap. The Ottawa Renegades made news about it, essentially stating that they were the only team to stick to the cap, Eric Tillman has also brought up on multiple occasions how he was handcuffed in Ottawa, and couldn't spend what other teams were spending.

As for ticket prices: They've jump up quite a bit in 7 years. Technically 5 years, as ticket prices have been the same since 2016.
    http://cfl.mrx.uploads.s3.amazonaws....20copy5134.jpg
    http://cfl.wp.uploads.s3.amazonaws.c...ting-Chart.jpg

Team's seem to have money for balloon coaching staffs and business administration, and yet player salaries have barely budged.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    In 1992, prices were 10, 15, 21, 26, 32, 40 and $43. Not sure which areas specifically but those were the official single game prices.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    In 1992, prices were 10, 15, 21, 26, 32, 40 and $43. Not sure which areas specifically but those were the official single game prices.
    $26 and $32 were 500 level between the 30's depending on how high you sat. $10 were endzone under the scoreboard, so there was no repay available, which is why even at that cheap price, few people sat there. Still a far cry away from the 800% increase that was claimed. I don't count the field level seats as for starters, they didn't exist back then, and are a VIP type thing anyways. Club seats at 1199 for 11 tickets is steep. but once again, club seats are not bought by an average fan. They are strictly corporate sales. So for regular fans, the highest price is 899 for 11 games, just over $80 per. Basically double. Hell, even the cheapest seats are less than double when you do a per game thing, about $18 per game, and are a much better view.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post

I don't need to impress anyone with clever questions, or longwinded opinions, when I can ask them directly. In fact, I'll be speaking to both of them tonight. Anything you wished asked?
    Get back to me on those. I'm sure you won't be nearly as rough on the team in a face to face as you are on here. As for long winded, I guess you just save those opinions for those of us on here to have to endure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The last guy I can recall who had a personal services contract was Doug Flutie in Calgary with Larry Ryckman. I believe that personal services deals were outlawed at some point in the 1990s.
    Perfect example how those side deals don't always work out. Flutie was only paid his CFL salary in his last year in Calgary and Rykman didn't come through with all those personal deals. He was owed over a million dollars and is one of the reasons he came to Toronto. I believe the Argos helped with the tab if I recall correctly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Get back to me on those. I'm sure you won't be nearly as rough on the team in a face to face as you are on here. As for long winded, I guess you just save those opinions for those of us on here to have to endure.
    I have no problem providing my opinion when I'm not happy. I expressed my disdain directly for their process to the previous Argos management. I spoke directly Jim Barker about my concerns. He, like most GMs/Coaches can more than take the criticism.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my complaints were related to past coaches/GM and past senior management. I don't relish change for change, but when you make the big bucks, results are a given. No results and the next GM/HC steps up.

You and others, right or wrong, were far more patient with than me. What I wanted after 2016 has entirely come to fruition and a Grey Cup to boot!

How much more can I ask for? 

Excuse me, I've got a few people I'd like to chat with.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 02-08-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Pretty nice job by Jim Popp to stabilize the Argonauts QB situation for the 2018 season.
    Salaries and potential bonuses are fair for both Ray and Franklin and overall come at a reasonable price tag!

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/10/co...pay-structure/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Pretty nice job by Jim Popp to stabilize the Argonauts QB situation for the 2018 season.
    Salaries and potential bonuses are fair for both Ray and Franklin and overall come at a reasonable price tag!

Once again Popp shows why he is a very good GM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Once again Popp shows why he is a very good GM.
    Cept for his last few seasons with the Als - where he was brutal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Cept for his last few seasons with the Als - where he was brutal.
    Live and learn.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

This is very interesting. Why would Ricky accept $200k less to take on the same workload he had last season? He’s a team guy but he’s not an idiot. if these salaries are true they suggest the team may be planning to give Franklin some meaningful snaps next season. There’s no way Burris took a 40% base pay cut when Ottawa signed Harris.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Good thing Ricky Ray isn’t on social media. Maybe he should go to the ranting route about how underpaid he is