Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Replacing one American Receiver is never usually very difficult. Not like replacing an entire receiving-set mid season, which is virtually impossible. Great Quarterbacking is the key. A great Quarterback can make an average receiver, an all star. Tyms will be worth a look I'm sure (if they bring him back in). Interesting to see another Receiver back who had a nice pre-season last year. Cole Watson has a chance too.
    I was glad to see Watson get another chance as he had an outstanding pre-season. Don't know why he wasn't kept around on the PR, but maybe that was his decision. Not a very big guy but has some possibilities IMO, especially with Ricky Ray lobbing his rainbows.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I was glad to see Watson get another chance as he had an outstanding pre-season. Don't know why he wasn't kept around on the PR, but maybe that was his decision. Not a very big guy but has some possibilities IMO, especially with Ricky Ray lobbing his rainbows.
    I believe he chose to return home to finish his degree instead of taking a PR spot.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Posey has signed with the Baltimore Ravens.
    I agree that PR player Brian Tyms could help the team considering what he did in Hamilton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Posey has signed with the Baltimore Ravens.
    I agree that PR player Brian Tyms could help the team considering what he did in Hamilton.
    I see Posey's is scheduled to make $730,000 (no signing bonus) with Baltimore, if he sticks, because of having played 3 years in the League. Listed as #3 on the depth chart at one of the WR spots. With the NFL minimum at $480,000 he might lose out to a rookie. I have noticed from past history most NFL teams will pay the top two players at a position but after that generally look to find players they can pay the minimum.
    If Posey can be a #2 backup on the depth chart he should be ok, but if not could be let go for a younger cheaper WR.

Another guy with CFL ties, former Hamilton/BC WR Sinkfield is scheduled to make $630,000.

One guy who has made it big in the NFL coming out of the CIS. OG Duvernay-Tardif at KC. re-signed for $3,310,000 plus a $2,000,000 signing bonus.

Former Saskatchewan LB Freeman. $3,500,000 plus $500,000 signing bonus.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I see Posey's is scheduled to make $730,000 (no signing bonus) with Baltimore, if he sticks, because of having played 3 years in the League. Listed as #3 on the depth chart at one of the WR spots. With the NFL minimum at $480,000 he might lose out to a rookie. I have noticed from past history most NFL teams will pay the top two players at a position but after that generally look to find players they can pay the minimum.
    If Posey can be a #2 backup on the depth chart he should be ok, but if not could be let go for a younger cheaper WR.

Another guy with CFL ties, former Hamilton/BC WR Sinkfield is scheduled to make $630,000.

One guy who has made it big in the NFL coming out of the CIS. OG Duvernay-Tardif at KC. re-signed for $3,310,000 plus a $2,000,000 signing bonus.

I agree that Posey's salary significantly reduces his chances of making it in the NFL. Many players are gone after three years because of this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

You can see why these players want to take a shot at the NFL.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I agree that Posey's salary significantly reduces his chances of making it in the NFL. Many players are gone after three years because of this.
    Typical NFL BS politics. They increase the minimum salary in year 4, making it more difficult for a 4th year player to stick, yet players only qualify for a pension after 50 games played, which means they must play into their 4th year. Sadly, the majority of players that get their pensions are the ones that can make due without them.

Robert Drummond is a prime example of a guy that came 2 games shy of qualifying for his pension.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Typical NFL BS politics. They increase the minimum salary in year 4, making it more difficult for a 4th year player to stick, yet players only qualify for a pension after 50 games played, which means they must play into their 4th year. Sadly, the majority of players that get their pensions are the ones that can make due without them.

Robert Drummond is a prime example of a guy that came 2 games shy of qualifying for his pension.
    Interesting post.

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level

Even $750k that's around $1 MILLION CDN is a significant amount, the highest income tax rate in the US kicks in at $500k but $200k in Canada.
    If the average salary in Canada is $50k it would take 20 years to earn $1 million. Even a CFL player earning $100k would need 10 years to make a million.
    Some of these players earning over a million are set for life even if they only play 2 or 3 season.
    With the higher taxes and higher cost of living in Canada, you can't blame them for trying to get to the big prize, the NFL
    Look at Wilder Jr, his family is in Tampa and he has to support them as well as living and maintaining a place in Toronto.
    Sitting out one year is the right thing for him to do.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Same goes for Chris Schultz. IIRC he was one game away.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Same goes for Chris Schultz. IIRC he was one game away.
    Wow, I had never heard that before. I miss Shultzie on the panel.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wow, I had never heard that before. I miss Shultzie on the panel.
    I might be wrong about the amount of games left but Jim Popp mentioned that Schultz was only a game or two away from his pension and got cut right before achieving it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutie View Post
    Even $750k that's around $1 MILLION CDN is a significant amount, the highest income tax rate in the US kicks in at $500k but $200k in Canada.
    If the average salary in Canada is $50k it would take 20 years to earn $1 million. Even a CFL player earning $100k would need 10 years to make a million.
    Some of these players earning over a million are set for life even if they only play 2 or 3 season.
    With the higher taxes and higher cost of living in Canada, you can't blame them for trying to get to the big prize, the NFL
    Look at Wilder Jr, his family is in Tampa and he has to support them as well as living and maintaining a place in Toronto.
    Sitting out one year is the right thing for him to do.
    I disagree. I think that Wilder will be killing any NFL shot that he has if he sits out this season. He would be 27 next year and will have started a half dozen professional football games in three years. It wasn't like there was a lineup in the NFL for Wilder's services coming into the 2017 season either.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I disagree. I think that Wilder will be killing any NFL shot that he has if he sits out this season. He would be 27 next year and will have started a half dozen professional football games in three years. It wasn't like there was a lineup in the NFL for Wilder's services coming into the 2017 season either.
    He won't have the snot beaten out of him and his family name carries weight in NFL circles, so I guess he figures he has a got shot at getting signed if he stays in shape.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    I believe he is hurting himself and his future aspirations to play in the NFL. The best course to me is to come back to Toronto and deliver on his 1,000 + 1,000 goal that he has already set, and was already training for. That would bring him a bigger signing bonus down South. I have a gut feeling that we'll see #32 in the Argo backfield this season. It's the right thing to do for both parties. Give him a few more shekels and get a solid shot at winning another Grey Cup
    Hustle hit and never quit

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    From what I have read about his life in Tampa, he can make more money staying there. He has a business down there and also does motivational speaking too.
    It sounds like he has put his family first. Stay with them down there for a year and make a decent living and try the NFL next year.

The ideal solution is the Argos giving him a good raise instead of this "hardball" stuff about "hey you signed for minimum wage and we can't give you anymore" he was one of the main reasons why the Argos won the Grey Cup. There are Canadian "O" linemen that are making more money than him.
    If he was just another average player that did nothing spectacular then I would agree, hold him to his contract or walk, but this guy was rookie of the year and he deserves more money!! It's not like this would set a precedence, he's not like the average rookie.
    All the Argos have done is guarantee that he won't be back at all even if he doesn't make it with an NFL team, he would never come back to the Argos, he would sign with another CFL team for sure.
    If I was working in a business and I was the main reason for the business doing well and they say to me "you can't have a raise because you signed a contract it would set a precedence" I would be out of there. In any other job you could leave even if you signed a contract accepting the wages etc, it is really unfair that he can't walk out and get employment anywhere else.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    From what I have read about his life in Tampa, he can make more money staying there. He has a business down there and also does motivational speaking too.
    It sounds like he has put his family first. Stay with them down there for a year and make a decent living and try the NFL next year.

The ideal solution is the Argos giving him a good raise instead of this "hardball" stuff about "hey you signed for minimum wage and we can't give you anymore" he was one of the main reasons why the Argos won the Grey Cup. There are Canadian "O" linemen that are making more money than him.
    If he was just another average player that did nothing spectacular then I would agree, hold him to his contract or walk, but this guy was rookie of the year and he deserves more money!! It's not like this would set a precedence, he's not like the average rookie.
    All the Argos have done is guarantee that he won't be back at all even if he doesn't make it with an NFL team, he would never come back to the Argos, he would sign with another CFL team for sure.
    If I was working in a business and I was the main reason for the business doing well and they say to me "you can't have a raise because you signed a contract it would set a precedence" I would be out of there. In any other job you could leave even if you signed a contract accepting the wages etc, it is really unfair that he can't walk out and get employment anywhere else.

He might have got a decent raise if he had kept his big, whining mouth shut. Instead, he became a legend in his own mind, who figures he's bigger than the Argo TEAM and is some sort of superior NFL talent.

The guy had a handful of really good games for the Argos, plus made that real nice clutch catch in the East Final winning drive; he also did littl;e in some other games; he's also vastly over-rated by some here IMO; his ultra weak 7 carries for 15 yards in the GC game can easily be replaced. "Main reason" my @r$e.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:

Level

Thing is though Wilder never asked the Argos for more money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue_Red View Post
    He won't have the snot beaten out of him and his family name carries weight in NFL circles, so I guess he figures he has a got shot at getting signed if he stays in shape.
    Except for the fact Wilder has already had a couple of chances in the NFL and didn’t stick.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    He might have got a decent raise if he had kept his big, whining mouth shut. Instead, he became a legend in his own mind, who figures he's bigger than the Argo TEAM and is some sort of superior NFL talent.

The guy had a handful of really good games for the Argos, plus made that real nice clutch catch in the East Final winning drive; he also did littl;e in some other games; he's also vastly over-rated by some here IMO; his ultra weak 7 carries for 15 yards in the GC game can easily be replaced. "Main reason" my @r$e.
    I think your summary is dead on OV.
    When he started pleading his case through social media right after declaring he wanted to gain 1000 +1000 yards in 2018 in Toronto he lost credibility with me.
    Which Wilder do we believe?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions