Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Agreed on Muamba OV. He was lights out the last third of the season last year on what I considered the fastest defence in the league. You know I like Bear Woods a lot, but the Argos took him out on a lot of passing downs last year. I see Muamba as an every down LB and special teamer, similar to O'Shea.
    Interesting though that two teams have recently deemed Muamba to not be worth what they are paying him.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Interesting though that two teams have recently deemed Muamba to not be worth what they are paying him.
    I guess it all depends on where they feel a need to fit in their Canadian starters. If you can start 2 Canadian receivers for considerably less than what you are paying a stud Canadian LB, then it's pretty easy to find a decent American LB that will be more cap friendly. I have to agree with OV here (can't believe I'm saying that), but sometimes being a Canadian isn't always an advantage. Especially a very talented one that commands high pay (and deserves it).
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I guess it all depends on where they feel a need to fit in their Canadian starters. If you can start 2 Canadian receivers for considerably less than what you are paying a stud Canadian LB, then it's pretty easy to find a decent American LB that will be more cap friendly. I have to agree with OV here (can't believe I'm saying that), but sometimes being a Canadian isn't always an advantage. Especially a very talented one that commands high pay (and deserves it).
    We do have Herdman (I like his potential), Onyeka, Plummer, and Randolph, who could all potentially play at mike, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Muamba. However, that greatly depends on his asking price.

I still think we need a top 3 receiver, 1 maybe 2 offensive linemen, a defensive end to replace Butler, a Sam linebacker, another shutdown corner, and another HB. I doubt those all get filled by the current free agents.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    We do have Herdman (I like his potential), Onyeka, Plummer, and Randolph, who could all potentially play at mike, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Muamba. However, that greatly depends on his asking price.

I still think we need a top 3 receiver, 1 maybe 2 offensive linemen, a defensive end to replace Butler, a Sam linebacker, another shutdown corner, and another HB. I doubt those all get filled by the current free agents.
    Herdman just doesn't have the speed and quickness Muamba does. I see him as a back up and STer unless he can somehow get faster and more agile. Onyeka, is more of an outside LBer, but I really like his potential. I am very big on Plummer, and suggested that the Argos would not lose much if he were to replace Woods. I wonder if Kalil Bass fits into their plans at all?

Bombers have really spent a lot of money in re-upping Nichols and bringing in Durant as a back-up (he isn't signing for what they paid Lefevour or Davis IMO). They need to be at or over the cap. I can see Okpalaugo becoming available as Jeffcoat likely makes considerably less. Would love to see him back in Double Blue.

I'm fine with their secondary and Vaughan at SAM. Ford played some SAM last year as did Gabriel, so I don't see a need there at all.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

You mean a super genius like Ego-Jones Ravi? - boy, now there's an incredible football know-it-all - Muamba must be a bum who's worth nothing; yet the guy pays big-bucks to an @$$-hat like Duron Carter, or employs a total stiff like Boardhands Grant as a starting receiver; or actually paid Kevin Glenn big buck$ last year to help his team throw away a play-off game. Yeah, OK; real interesting. The money that clown paid to Boardhands & Glenn last season could have paid for 2 Muambas.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 02-16-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Sad to lose Cam Walker today. He seemed to be a consistent performer on special teams with the possibility of being a back up linebacker.

Happy with the signing of Ronnie Yell which is now official!

Walker was a special teamer only and didn't really shine there IMO; pretty well zero playing time opportunity on defence at his real position (DE)

IMO - your back-ups and special teamers should ALL have some skills/potential at their offensive/defensive position so the coaching staff has faith enough to play them there - didn't look like that with Walker; I'h hoping they give Foster a real shot to play DE - where he was a force in college ball; if he just plays STs and is not amongst team leaders in ST tackles (or devastating blocks or never misses assignments), then time to move on from him too ... and others who do little on the roster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Herdman just doesn't have the speed and quickness Muamba does. I see him as a back up and STer unless he can somehow get faster and more agile. Onyeka, is more of an outside LBer, but I really like his potential. I am very big on Plummer, and suggested that the Argos would not lose much if he were to replace Woods. I wonder if Kalil Bass fits into their plans at all?

Bombers have really spent a lot of money in re-upping Nichols and bringing in Durant as a back-up (he isn't signing for what they paid Lefevour or Davis IMO). They need to be at or over the cap. I can see Okpalaugo becoming available as Jeffcoat likely makes considerably less. Would love to see him back in Double Blue.

I'm fine with their secondary and Vaughan at SAM. Ford played some SAM last year as did Gabriel, so I don't see a need there at all.
    Agreed on Plummer - i think he could take over from Woods and be as good or maybe better (plus a lot cheaper i bet ?); Onyeka is way too small to play MLB in the pros but could maybe get a shot at either OLB job - where i think Gabriel is best suited of the guys you mentioned - Vaughn is not as strong a tackler and Ford is way too small/lightweight. Not sure speed & quickness are really Maumba's forte as a MLB though - what he has is that nose for the ball, toughness and good tackling skills and the smarts to read and make plays - those are not common in CFL MLBs now IMO (Sol-E & Singleton & Sherritt have them too though); a guy like Larry Dean might make it based on super quickness and athleticism for a MLB but he is not as instinctive or smart/nose for the ball like those other guys. IMO

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Agreed on Plummer - i think he could take over from Woods and be as good or maybe better (plus a lot cheaper i bet ?); Onyeka is way too small to play MLB in the pros but could maybe get a shot at either OLB job - where i think Gabriel is best suited of the guys you mentioned - Vaughn is not as strong a tackler and Ford is way too small/lightweight. Not sure speed & quickness are really Maumba's forte as a MLB though - what he has is that nose for the ball, toughness and good tackling skills and the smarts to read and make plays - those are not common in CFL MLBs now IMO (Sol-E & Singleton & Sherritt have them too though); a guy like Larry Dean might make it based on super quickness and athleticism for a MLB but he is not as instinctive or smart/nose for the ball like those other guys. IMO
    Don't count out Akeem Jordan who had 10 tackles at MLB last season in place of an ill Bear Woods. He also plays ST. At age 33 however he can't be viewed as a long term solution.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Popp has done a very efficient job in replacing our departed players.
    I suspect Popp only interested in retaining Woods at a modest price as they have viable alternatives under contract.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    if he just plays STs and is not amongst team leaders in ST tackles (or devastating blocks or never misses assignments), then time to move on from him too ... and others who do little on the roster.
    If we're going to move on from all the backups who aren't among team leaders in ST tackles, or devastating blocks, or never miss assignments, we won't have anyone left. As you know, special teams all have 12 guys, typically nine or 10 of whom do not "start" on offence or defence. As long as they consistently do the job they are asked to, whether that's being a gunner, busting a wedge, steering a play towards the sidelines, occupying a particular opponent, or whatever, then there is no reason to "move on" from them unless someone better than them becomes available. If Foster, to use your example, grades well on STs doing things we can't possibly see unless we watch only him, there's no reason he can't earn a decent living as an STer. Now that doesn't mean he isn't capable of playing D -- I have no idea about that at this stage; maybe he will develop into a starter or regular rotation guy. But even if he doesn't, and even if he's not a leading ST tackler etc., that doesn't in itself mean he isn't doing a valuable job or worth employing.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If we're going to move on from all the backups who aren't among team leaders in ST tackles, or devastating blocks, or never miss assignments, we won't have anyone left. As you know, special teams all have 12 guys, typically nine or 10 of whom do not "start" on offence or defence. As long as they consistently do the job they are asked to, whether that's being a gunner, busting a wedge, steering a play towards the sidelines, occupying a particular opponent, or whatever, then there is no reason to "move on" from them unless someone better than them becomes available. If Foster, to use your example, grades well on STs doing things we can't possibly see unless we watch only him, there's no reason he can't earn a decent living as an STer. Now that doesn't mean he isn't capable of playing D -- I have no idea about that at this stage; maybe he will develop into a starter or regular rotation guy. But even if he doesn't, and even if he's not a leading ST tackler etc., that doesn't in itself mean he isn't doing a valuable job or worth employing.
    Sorry, (and i well realize STers have important jobs and are not always going to stand out making big plays), but all STers can be good positional football players first - that is how they started and learned in the game and progressed to be good enough for the pros. Aside from maybe an outstanding long-snapper or two, pretty well all players who go into the pros were excellent positional players at the lower levels of football first. And IMO - if a CFL braintrust or coaching staff has so little use or respect for a player on their roster that they think he can be a decent STer only but is not fit to see the field on O or D, they are being myopic and should learn to move on from those types and draft or sign another very good positional player who can learn and work to be a good ST player. Mind you - if a good STer is never given a shot to play on O or D - even in situations or as an injury replacement - i guess we the fans don't really know or get to see if the guys can play O or D.

Sure - some guys can carve out an excellent career as ST players only. I would want more capability from every guy on my roster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Maybe it is because Canadian MLBers of his calibre are difficult to find. You have to replace him with an import if he goes down. Better to invest dollars in OL, WR and Safety for the ratio where Canadians of like calibre are easier to find IMO. He would be valuable IMO if he would play for roughly the going rate of good import MLB's. That would allow a Coach some flexibility of starting maybe 9 Canadians and having an import backup MLBer for Muamba.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I know James Franklin was not a free agent but since he was touted as what would've been the leagues top free agent prospect and the Argos got him as well as a very coveted TJ Heath, you have to grade the Argos as doing well in free agency.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Argos have had a very productive off season. Especially considering they just won a Grey Cup. Off Seasons after titles, can be challenging. This team is well coached, so that really is half the battle.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Considering that we've lost our RB and our top WR - and basically tread water at other positions - I wouldn't call this a productive off-season (yet). Sure, getting Franklin was helpful, but if everything goes according to plan he might not see the field this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Considering that we've lost our RB and our top WR - and basically tread water at other positions - I wouldn't call this a productive off-season (yet). Sure, getting Franklin was helpful, but if everything goes according to plan he might not see the field this year.

Posey was hardly the top receiver IMO - that is SJ Green; and I like Posey but Armanti Edwards was easily as good (different style though) and Coombs was doing very well till he got hurt; Fuller got targeted lots for a WR early - because of his previous CFL success and passport - but did not produce enough IMO and should have been replaced - he could bounce back, but IMO he is easily replaceable. Love to see Llevi Noel get some real playing time at receiver and get targeted. Malcolm Williams just did not have much faith shown in him when he played.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Posey was our top WR.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Posey was our top WR.

SJ Green had way more catches & yardage last season as an Argo receiver; so did Armanti Edwards. But you're arguing wide-out ?

If you want to try and argue that Posey is somehow a more talented receiver than either of those 2, you could try I suppose; and I like Posey - solid receiver, but really nothing overly special in terms of great hands, superb/tough catches or blazing speed deep & threat ability (though he did show enough speed to not allow Tommie Campbell to catch him from behind in the snow on that 100 Yd. GC TD that brought him extra fame). Posey is no Terry Greer or DK Smith or Paul Masotti; and not even close; wish he had stayed an Argo though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Posey was our top WR.
    I'd give that nod to Green.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I'd give that nod to Green.

Wobbler might have meant top "wide-out" - in which case he is correct, IMO. Fuller did little; Malcolm Williams was barely thrown to.