Thread: rule changes

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

rule changes

fumble recovery should depend on which team last had possession of the the ball, not who last touched it - especially applies on short kickoffs
    move FG poles to back of end zone
    1, they are out of the way for goal line plays
    2, fg from 30 yd line is now a 50 yd fg - may be worth to go for it on 3rd down and coaches could alter strategy on 1 and 2 down in that area for it my be a 3 down area
    3 all converts are at same place (3 yd line?) and it may change odd to go for 2
    allows for more fake kicking converts

i think it is then high time to get rid of the rouge
    kick attempted fg and miss -
    if fg was attempted from inside 25, ball goes to 25 [no points]
    if fg attempted from outside 25, team gets ball there [no points]
    or ball can be attempted to be run out of end zone
    /.
    on punts i haven't given it enough thought yet
    your comments ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I wouldn't mind moving posts to back of end zone as it would likely prompt teams to go for it on third down more often. I don't know if they could be moved at BMO because of the field configuration. The rouge should NOT be eliminated but I have long advocated tweaking the rules to award a rouge only if the kick is returnable. In other words, if it sails through the end zone and the defending team has no decision to make, no rouge.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I wouldn't mind moving posts to back of end zone as it would likely prompt teams to go for it on third down more often. I don't know if they could be moved at BMO because of the field configuration. The rouge should NOT be eliminated but I have long advocated tweaking the rules to award a rouge only if the kick is returnable. In other words, if it sails through the end zone and the defending team has no decision to make, no rouge.
    a returner in a 20 yd end zone covered by kicking team players has no chance to return the ball
    i would hate to see a playoff game won on a punt/single

the more i think about it the more i like the idea of negating the rouge and an punt into the end zone is brought out to the 25
    this will have effect that kicking teams will kick the ball out of bounds, hopefully inside the 10or
    better yet going for it on 3rd down
    and get rid of that silly penalty for balls kicked out of touch outside the 20

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kulyk@macspectrum.com View Post
    a returner in a 20 yd end zone covered by kicking team players has no chance to return the ball
    i would hate to see a playoff game won on a punt/single

the more i think about it the more i like the idea of negating the rouge and an punt into the end zone is brought out to the 25
    this will have effect that kicking teams will kick the ball out of bounds, hopefully inside the 10or
    better yet going for it on 3rd down
    and get rid of that silly penalty for balls kicked out of touch outside the 20
    You ever see Bashir Levingston? I was just watching a game from 2005 where he caught a missed FG very deep in the end zone, ran around back there until virtually every member of the kicking team was chasing him, then eluded them all for a TD return. A good returner can get out of the end zone even if he's deep and there are lots of cover guys on him (which there almost never are when the ball is caught).

I too would hate to see a playoff game won on a punt single THAT COULDN'T BE RETURNED. But if the ball is playable, let's see which team wins the battle. If the returner fails to bring it out, point gets awarded. Good, that's part of Cdn football.

I've been part of enough of these discussions over the years to know that the notion of eliminating the rouge is a complete non-starter with the vast majority of fans. A slight tweak to the rule to require the ball be playable for a point to be scored would keep the rouge but solve the problem of a team deliberately (or otherwise) kicking through the end zone to win a game. However, I don't expect such a change, or any change to the rouge rule, to be made in my lifetime.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I don't want to see any change to the rouge. I don't believe a team should be penalized in any way for driving the ball closer to the opposition endzone. If they can't score a rouge at the opposition 20 yard line, why should they be able to score one from further back.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I don't want to see any change to the rouge. I don't believe a team should be penalized in any way for driving the ball closer to the opposition endzone. If they can't score a rouge at the opposition 20 yard line, why should they be able to score one from further back.
    As I've stated many times, the only change I would want to see is that on a FG, the ball must land in the field of play. If it sails through the end zone and there is no chance of a return, and thus a stop of a return, there should be no point. The point should also be taken off the kickers point total and be awarded as a team point.

It would also add some type of strategy on the kickers part. Would he hammer a shorter FG attempt, or take something off in order to keep the scoring option available should he miss.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    As long as the kick is returnable, FG or Punt, then the Rouge stands. Players having the opportunity to return or even kick it out is always fun. Winning for missing, would be embarrassing. Rule should have been implemented years ago, I’m surprised we haven’t had a Grey Cup won by blasting it in the stands and confusing everyone.

Moving the posts is ridiculous. A 50 yard field goal from the 23 yard line?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    All I can say is that I'm glad the football fans on the forums aren't on the rule committee.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Away from the rouge debate, I would love to see the illegal contact rule gone and just go back to holding. With receivers getting a 10 yard run up to the line, I find it ridiculous that a DB can't bump a receiver past 5 yards. Receivers have such an advantage with that waggle that they should be able to fight through bumping. But if the DB were to grab, then by all means, throw the flag.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    My position on the rouge has always been to apply the kickoff rule to field goals and punts. That way there would be total consistency in the kicking game.

The NFL is debating changing their P.I. rule from a spot foul to a 15-yard penalty. I'd be for that in the CFL.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    'The NFL is debating changing their P.I. rule from a spot foul to a 15-yard penalty. I'd be for that in the CFL.'

i would support that rule change but tv loves the 'hail mary pass' [with the hope of p.i.] which can keep fans watching till the bitter end - better advertising $s