Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Linebacking Corps

It is obvious that our goal in free agency was to solidify the middle linebacking spot, although some were proponents of going with Plummer in that spot. Some of us thought that re-signing Khalil Bass meant that Bear Woods was as good as gone so many of us were pleased when the Argos re-signed him earlier in the week, however a few minutes later we learned that the Argos had also re-signed Taylor Reed from the Redblacks. This was somewhat odd given that Woods and Reed play the same position. The Argos currently have (I believe) 9 linebackers on the roster of which 4 (Woods, Bass, Reed and Jordan) have been known as middle linebackers in the past. I'm not so much concerned with the outside spots as I figure that Ball is at one spot and Plummer likely at the other. I'm grateful for the talent Popp has brought into that position, but I am a little confused at what the plan appears to be. There are several questions I asked myself and wanted to get input from others:

1) Had the market for MLB gone down so fast that the Argos were able to snap up two pretty good ones in Woods and Reed? To my knowledge, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and Montreal all need MLB.
    2) Were Reed and Woods aware that the Argos were signing both? Why would either sign here if there was no guarantee that they'd be starting?
    3) Are the Argos considering a 3-4 configuration?
    4) Are the Argos considering moving an OLB to DE? Is that practical? Are there any candidates?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    It is obvious that our goal in free agency was to solidify the middle linebacking spot, although some were proponents of going with Plummer in that spot. Some of us thought that re-signing Khalil Bass meant that Bear Woods was as good as gone so many of us were pleased when the Argos re-signed him earlier in the week, however a few minutes later we learned that the Argos had also re-signed Taylor Reed from the Redblacks. This was somewhat odd given that Woods and Reed play the same position. The Argos currently have (I believe) 9 linebackers on the roster of which 4 (Woods, Bass, Reed and Jordan) have been known as middle linebackers in the past. I'm not so much concerned with the outside spots as I figure that Ball is at one spot and Plummer likely at the other. I'm grateful for the talent Popp has brought into that position, but I am a little confused at what the plan appears to be. There are several questions I asked myself and wanted to get input from others:

1) Had the market for MLB gone down so fast that the Argos were able to snap up two pretty good ones in Woods and Reed? To my knowledge, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and Montreal all need MLB.
    2) Were Reed and Woods aware that the Argos were signing both? Why would either sign here if there was no guarantee that they'd be starting?
    3) Are the Argos considering a 3-4 configuration?
    4) Are the Argos considering moving an OLB to DE? Is that practical? Are there any candidates?
    I think all of your scenarios are in play, Argos could employ a 3-4 and mix it up by rushing a LB.
    TC trade is also a distinct possibility, biggest variable will be what system does the new DC run.
    Personally I think Popp is simply accumulating as much talent as possible for TC and will react accordingly based on performance.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think they will look hard at Reed for starter at MLB given the fact that he's 5 years younger than Woods. I'm putting my money on him to win the job.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think they will look hard at Reed for starter at MLB given the fact that he's 5 years younger than Woods. I'm putting my money on him to win the job.
    Both Woods & Plummer are better MLB talents than Reed IMO - who hasn't stuck with 3 CFL teams now for a reason (IMO).

I really hope this team does not have to get into cheaper or younger prospect mode and deploy inferior players when there are better players available - and because they were in CFL over-paying for QBs thinking as well. I'd rather have Ray backed-up by a younger QB (with skills and upside) than having to pay big buck$ to a Franklin - who is still basically unproven and not going to be the starter with Ray there ... and then the trickle down affect on the roster is cheaper and not as good at other positions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Both Woods & Plummer are better MLB talents than Reed IMO - who hasn't stuck with 3 CFL teams now for a reason (IMO).

I really hope this team does not have to get into cheaper or younger prospect mode and deploy inferior players when there are better players available - and because they were in CFL over-paying for QBs thinking as well. I'd rather have Ray backed-up by a younger QB (with skills and upside) than having to pay big buck$ to a Franklin - who is still basically unproven and not going to be the starter with Ray there ... and then the trickle down affect on the roster is cheaper and not as good at other positions.
    Disagree OV, I don’t think the Argos overall QB budget is out of line in comparison with other teams.
    Ray’s contract is certainly reasonable as is Franklin’s
    In regards to Reed let’s see what happens in camp, we aren’t even sure who the DC is.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Disagree OV, I don’t think the Argos overall QB budget is out of line in comparison with other teams.
    Ray’s contract is certainly reasonable as is Franklin’s
    In regards to Reed let’s see what happens in camp, we aren’t even sure who the DC is.
    OK - i have little respect for reported CFL contracts - a lot of gossip and speculation without any verification.

BUT- in the East: the Argos duo of Ray/Franklin are making on par with what Hamilton (Masoli/Adams), Ottawa (Harris/whoever) or Montreal (Freeman/Willy) are paying for their QBs ? IF it's more like 100K or more = that can pay for a good starter or two rather than having to go el cheapo at other key positions.

As far as the new DC - yeah, who really knows; maybe he will think Reed is a superstar at MLB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    For four years the Argos have been criticized for not keeping Ricky Ray's potential replacements; now they get a guy who by all accounts looks to have as much or more potential than the two previous backups, and they get criticized for wasting money on a backup. Can't win for trying, I guess.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    OK - i have little respect for reported CFL contracts - a lot of gossip and speculation without any verification.

BUT- in the East: the Argos duo of Ray/Franklin are making on par with what Hamilton (Masoli/Adams), Ottawa (Harris/whoever) or Montreal (Freeman/Willy) are paying for their QBs ? IF it's more like 100K or more = that can pay for a good starter or two rather than having to go el cheapo at other key positions.

As far as the new DC - yeah, who really knows; maybe he will think Reed is a superstar at MLB.
    Looking at the other QB tandems you have mentioned in the east I’d say money well spent by Popp!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Looking at the other QB tandems you have mentioned in the east I’d say money well spent by Popp!
    I'd agree; and there is nothing wrong with spending big on quality QBs, IF you have good scouts and personnel evaluators who can find good young talent to fit the budget at other spots; I just said i'd worry a bit about going el cheapo on other positions - but that doesn't have to happen. And of course this was going to be construed as some over the top, ridiculous "criticism" of anything/everything the current Argo braintrust does by the usual par for the course golfers here. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'd agree; and there is nothing wrong with spending big on quality QBs, IF you have good scouts and personnel evaluators who can find good young talent to fit the budget at other spots; I just said i'd worry a bit about going el cheapo on other positions - but that doesn't have to happen. And of course this was going to be construed as some over the top, ridiculous "criticism" of anything/everything the current Argo braintrust does by the usual par for the course golfers here. ;o)
    I think overall Popp and the Argos have had a very good offseason to date.
    Major holes in the secondary have been dealt with, front seven looks very solid and I’m sure they will address the DE situation from within or by trade.
    Ricky Ray has re-signed, Argos have James Franklin (the top potential free agent of 2018) a solid receiving corps that should be bolstered through free agent camps etc.
    I’ve been as critical as anyone on this forum but TBH coming off of our latest World Championship coupled with Popp’s efficient signings I have nothing to piss and moan about.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    "I'd rather have Ray backed-up by a younger QB (with skills and upside) than having to pay big buck$ to a Franklin - who is still basically unproven and not going to be the starter with Ray there"

No criticism there. Fore!
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    "I'd rather have Ray backed-up by a younger QB (with skills and upside) than having to pay big buck$ to a Franklin - who is still basically unproven and not going to be the starter with Ray there"

No criticism there. Fore!
    Can you provide documented evidence of both Ricky Ray's and Franklin's, heck for that matter, all Argo player contract$ - please & thank-you; inquiring minds need to know.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is a weird thread. The defence looks as good, maybe even better (time will tell), than last year and we also have the best backup QB in the league. What the heck guys? Argos are doing pretty darn well in the 1 year contract, high turnover CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Where did this LBing corps talk go off the rails. As others have mentioned it looks like things are shaping up to the Argos using a 3-4 defense part of the time.
    How does everyone rate the signed guys so far. Ball has one spot locked up IMO. Woods and Plummer in the middle and Vaughan on the other side? Some decent backups in Bass, Jordan and Reed and DE Tuggle could probably play some in the middle if needed. Herdman and Onyeka for ST's.

Then we get to training camp and somebody decides to retire out of the blue. Seems to happen very year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Where did this LBing corps talk go off the rails. As others have mentioned it looks like things are shaping up to the Argos using a 3-4 defense part of the time.
    How does everyone rate the signed guys so far. Ball has one spot locked up IMO. Woods and Plummer in the middle and Vaughan on the other side? Some decent backups in Bass, Jordan and Reed and DE Tuggle could probably play some in the middle if needed. Herdman and Onyeka for ST's.

Then we get to training camp and somebody decides to retire out of the blue. Seems to happen very year.

Maybe Taylor Reed was signed for CFL minimum wage ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Can you provide documented evidence of both Ricky Ray's and Franklin's, heck for that matter, all Argo player contract$ - please & thank-you; inquiring minds need to know.
    No. And what does that have to do with the "discussion"? Changing the subject is to be expected, I guess. Oh well, I seem to fall for it every time.

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    '3) Are the Argos considering a 3-4 configuration?'
    i think this a good bet, i like the 3-4 if i have the lots of talent and the argos seem to have it
    blitzing becomes harder to detect by offenses
    def can send 1 if not 2 LB in on the blitz

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I still expect to see Chamblin back for what it’s worth. If he was going to get hired elsewhere I feel like it would have happened already.

Regardless, the Argos have an embarrassment of riches on the defensive side of the football in my opinion. I’m excited to see how they do and I’m naïve enough to think that our coaching staff will gameplan to suit their strengths J

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    I still expect to see Chamblin back for what it’s worth. If he was going to get hired elsewhere I feel like it would have happened already.

Regardless, the Argos have an embarrassment of riches on the defensive side of the football in my opinion. I’m excited to see how they do and I’m naïve enough to think that our coaching staff will gameplan to suit their strengths J
    i think jim popp might trade away some of his riches at linebacker for a bona fide running back - ya listenin messam?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'll be shocked if a 3-4 look is used anymore than very part-time.

And the ship on Messam has sailed - he's a Rider; woulda been nice maybe to see him as an Argo and playing in his home-town; guy is a beast of a RB; but he's also getting on in mileage and would be co$tly, and not sure he would be a fit in the Trestman offence?

Argos signed that ex-Rider/Esk NI RB who has flashed a bit of CFL talent; they could also think of drafting Western star RB Alex Taylor or Ryder Storm (Dartmouth) - and then have some flexibility to play a NI RB some or lots (with Coombs able to fill in there some too); i believe they are going to have/pencil-in 5 of their 7 only NIs playing on offence - wether it's 3 O-linemen, plus 2 receivers (or 1 receiver + a RB/H-back - flexibility there with Coombs, Cross + WR - Williams, Ralph, Noel) or 4 O-linemen plus one other NI.