Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Goes to show you football is a nasty/crazy business.
    Orlando Steinauer is coming back to the cats from Fresno State! No way they can be paying him as an assistant HC what he made down there.
    Also you think Fresno St might be a little ticked. Amazing turn around last year, and he bolts after one year. OS would have helped in future player recruitment etc with the success they had.
    Also assuming Bob Young has promised him the HC position in a year or 2.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Saw this coming a kilometre away
    From what I understand and read, Wilder is not interested in negotiating a new contract with the Argos at this time. The Argos claim to not have had any talks with Wilder. So, why must he continue to harp that he has to play for league minumum? I understand his desires, but if he's lying to help promote his cause or get sympathy, it's not going to help anyone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    This kind of proves the point that both James Wilder and Victor Butler make. Amazing how a coach can be let out of contract to pursue NFL opportunities, yet a player, who has less years to do so, can't. I'm with Wilder 100% on this, and I realize that is an unpopular take among many on here.
    It's unfair. Players have benefits that coaches don't have, and that's unfair. Union and CBA. When the agreement expires, they can negotiate a new one. The CFL is no different than other businesses. At the company I work, the workforce is unionized, while management and office are not. Workers enjoy minimum rates, 10% vacation pay, $10/hr pension, plus many other added rights and health benefits, while everyone else does not. Is that fair? Management receives profit sharing, bonuses, paid sick days, while Union members do not. Is that fair? That's life here in Canada, one of the best countries in the world. If we're all the same, we would be like North Korea. And just like the CFL, all rules were laid out (Union members get their own book) before anyone joined this company, no one was forced. People are acting like Wilder was held at gunpoint to sign a CFL contract. I remember the day, he was all smiles to come play in Canada, especially since there were zero options elsewhere.
    Last edited by ArgoZ; 02-22-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    While I empathize with Wilder, the complaining has gone on long enough. He has to decide whether he wants to have a pro football career or not. If he doesn't want one, he will sit out this season and his career will likely be over. If he wants one, then he needs to either honour his existing contract or negotiate a new deal with the Argos. The constant complaining on Twitter isn't getting him anywhere and the sooner he realizes that, the better.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    It's unfair. Players have benefits that coaches don't have, and that's unfair. Union and CBA. When the agreement expires, they can negotiate a new one. The CFL is no different than other businesses. At the company I work, the workforce is unionized, while management and office are not. Workers enjoy minimum rates, 10% vacation pay, $10/hr pension, plus many other added rights and health benefits, while everyone else does not. Is that fair? Management receives profit sharing, bonuses, paid sick days, while Union members do not. Is that fair? That's life here in Canada, one of the best countries in the world. If were all the same, we would be like North Korea. And just like the CFL, all rules were laid out (Union members get their own book) before anyone joined this company, no one was forced. People are acting like Wilder was held at gunpoint to sign a CFL contract. I remember the day, he was all smiles to come play in Canada, especially since there were zero options elsewhere.
    I am grateful to be in a union and you have pretty much summed up how it all works. CFL coaches don't have access to pensions, so one could make an additional argument as to why their contracts are not as binding if they have a better opportunity open up for them. Also, Brady put in 10 years as a coach in this league as opposed to Wilder who has played one season. It is what it is and Wilder has to figure out what he wants to do instead of constantly complaining.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    It's unfair. Players have benefits that coaches don't have, and that's unfair. Union and CBA. When the agreement expires, they can negotiate a new one. The CFL is no different than other businesses. At the company I work, the workforce is unionized, while management and office are not. Workers enjoy minimum rates, 10% vacation pay, $10/hr pension, plus many other added rights and health benefits, while everyone else does not. Is that fair? Management receives profit sharing, bonuses, paid sick days, while Union members do not. Is that fair? That's life here in Canada, one of the best countries in the world. If we're all the same, we would be like North Korea. And just like the CFL, all rules were laid out (Union members get their own book) before anyone joined this company, no one was forced. People are acting like Wilder was held at gunpoint to sign a CFL contract. I remember the day, he was all smiles to come play in Canada, especially since there were zero options elsewhere.
    I think you are making the mistake of comparing an actual union to a players association. And honestly, I don't see any perks the players get that coaches don't. CFL player pensions are next to nothing, and unlike coaches, they can be dismissed and have their contracts torn up.

Again, I may be different here, but I'm with the players on these issues. The social media stuff doesn't bother me. That's just society today.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think you are making the mistake of comparing an actual union to a players association. And honestly, I don't see any perks the players get that coaches don't. CFL player pensions are next to nothing, and unlike coaches, they can be dismissed and have their contracts torn up.

Again, I may be different here, but I'm with the players on these issues. The social media stuff doesn't bother me. That's just society today.
    If an employee association negotiates a legally bound contract with their employer, they are seen by the law as a union. Unions have had bad reputations, so "association" sounds better. I believe associations often had other divisions such as businesses and charities (things unions have nowadays anyway). Unions do have the abilty to strike, something associations generally don't and that's why we get lockouts instead. Quite fitting for the CFL to be honest. The CFLPA is weak (due to internal division) and while they do have perks that coaches don't (minimum wages, pension, insurance, grievances, arbitration, time restrictions), I agree, they are not amazing.

I try to be open and neutral on the Wilder case, because I think he's a great guy. However, I can't shake off the misconceptions presented and realities of the situation. Not everything in life is fair, nor does it have to be. Ravi does bring up a good point and a weakness in Wilder's cause, the complaining has started to become ad nauseum.

Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilz View Post
    Condell is the logical choice to be Brady's replacement. However, I do not believe the concepts will radically change with his promotion.

He has 1st hand knowledge as to what it takes to move the ball and keep Ricky productive.

Heck, Edwards, Green and Coombs might be in line for more touches, if we can't find anyone to run the ball (Malena?)
    More touches does not equal balanced offence, we must run the ball as well as spread the touches.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    I especially like the part where Dunk tries to make a connection between Reich and Milanovich as being a reason why the Colts have interest in Brady. Because they both played at Maryland. Reich and Milanovich played 10 years apart in college, and their pro paths have never crossed. That is a huge reach.
    Who is to say there is no connection and who is to say it's a reach? From where I sit, it is more a reach that this is what you find from this story. Ultimately and ironically, however, we wouldn't even be able to debate that point without having the initial report in the first place. So, if the story stands the test of time, another good day breaking CFL News for this source.

I didn't see it anywhere else today.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    While I empathize with Wilder, the complaining has gone on long enough. He has to decide whether he wants to have a pro football career or not. If he doesn't want one, he will sit out this season and his career will likely be over. If he wants one, then he needs to either honour his existing contract or negotiate a new deal with the Argos. The constant complaining on Twitter isn't getting him anywhere and the sooner he realizes that, the better.
    Totally agree with you Ravi, at this point I’ve basically tuned him out.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I’ve always considered Brady an offensive assistant instead of an OC so not phased by his departure at all.
    Condell being promoted to OC could and should facilitate some new wrinkles in Trestman’s schemes which keeps things from getting too predictable.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Totally agree with you Ravi, at this point I’ve basically tuned him out.
    ++ 1 ++

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    I’ve always considered Brady an offensive assistant instead of an OC so not phased by his departure at all.
    Condell being promoted to OC could and should facilitate some new wrinkles in Trestman’s schemes which keeps things from getting too predictable.
    ++ 1 ++

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Very true. This is probably why no one in Argo-land is really wringing their hands right now. As for Brady, I think he really needed to make this move, to spread his wings. He could return a head coach, much like Orlondo did (in effect) yesterday.

On the other hand, I would really like to see continuity on Defence and I don't see anyone on the current staff, to elevate to DC, that I am personally comfortable with.

The name Tim Burke was mentioned earlier in another post. I have to wonder if a call has been placed, just in case? Trestman and Burke have two Cup wins together.
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I have always seen Brady's offence as being too predictable. Even when Wilder started running wild, it seemed to me that it was more his running ability that forced the offence to change, thereby reducing the pressure on Ray, rather than a strategic change. Condell IMO will bring a freshness to the offence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Strong likelihood Tommy Condell will be Argos OC - Dave Naylor

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Strong likelihood Tommy Condell will be Argos OC - Dave Naylor
    Seamless transition--makes sense.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Indianapolis Colts made it official today.

NDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Colts have signed Marcus Brady as assistant quarterbacks coach,
    http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/...a-8992aa8e7654