Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Solid Import (International) running backs are actually quite plentiful... due to the high number of top NCAA programs producing them compared to the relatively small number of new opportunities that exist in the NFL each year. Hopefully JWJ will sign with us for 2 more years (which is a reasonable compromise in my view)... otherwise I'm fairly sure that Mr. Popp is very capable of finding a good group of worthy replacements.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    Solid Import (International) running backs are actually quite plentiful... due to the high number of top NCAA programs producing them compared to the relatively small number of new opportunities that exist in the NFL each year. Hopefully JWJ will sign with us for 2 more years (which is a reasonable compromise in my view)... otherwise I'm fairly sure that Mr. Popp is very capable of finding a good group of worthy replacements.
    Very true.

My first choice, for the purposes of continuity, is to see him return. I think it, most certainly, is best for both parties. I am also happy that they made him a better offer. I think that was the right thing to do. It will also allow the fans to move on from him, if he doesn't take it.

I don't think any fan wants a player around who 1) gets an overly inflated opinion of himself in a half a seasons work or 2) doesn't want to be here.

As good as he was for part of last season, I don't believe you can ultimately win in a good league like the CFL with either of those 2 factors in play.

If he turns this down, then he will sit, and I predict that we'll all move past him and he will have wasted a year of his life, for a dream that will get harder and harder to accomplish by the day.

It won't say tons about his character for perspective NFL suitors either.

His best course of action is to re-up here, train hard and come in and give all he's got to live up to that 1,000 + 1,000 season. Or, is this guy a bit of a flake?
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    As I've said previously: Popp has a very good record at finding RB's, so I'm not worried. IMO Wilder had 4 monster games, and was a non factor for the rest, Grey Cup he was horrendous IMO, tbh he reminds me of Chevon Walker, and that home run style of running isn't successful for too long.

I do however wish that Popp would stop signing these tiny backs though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    As I've said previously: Popp has a very good record at finding RB's, so I'm not worried. IMO Wilder had 4 monster games, and was a non factor for the rest, Grey Cup he was horrendous IMO, tbh he reminds me of Chevon Walker, and that home run style of running isn't successful for too long.

I do however wish that Popp would stop signing these tiny backs though.
    I really thought the snow in the Grey Cup hurt Wilders running ability. To say he was a non factor in those games I feel is inaccurate. At best the other teams were able to hold him in check.

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    i dont think wilder was very good in either the east final or grey cup
    warm weather player ?
    Last edited by macspectrum; 02-28-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by macspectrum View Post
    warm weather player ?
    Yeah, never mind the fact that he made a huge contested reception on 3rd down on the game winning drive to allow them to get to the Grey Cup. Not a lot of RB's make that catch. Also noted that when the Argos had no threat such as him in the previous 2 games against Calgary, they couldn't move the ball at all. The fact that he was a threat kept the LB's of the Stamps closer to the line, allowing the Argos to pass with much greater success.

All the hate towards Wilder is mind boggling to me.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    the 'hate' is mostly from people who dont undrestand why he did nor to fulfull his signed contract

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by macspectrum View Post
    warm weather player ?
    Keep in mind Wilder did have over 100 yards in total offence in the EF, not to mention that 3rd down catch that will always be seen as a big moment in team history. Give Saskatchewan credit too. A very good defence and they showed up that day.

Boatman
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If Wilder doesn't come back I'm sure they will find a new American back. I'm sure that National Greg Morris will get some carries too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Just because Wilder got shut down somewhat in the EF and GC doesn't mean he's not a difference maker IMO. Teams can shut down any player by keying on them but that's leaves something else open if a team can take advantage. But the threat is always there if the defense lets up or Trestman or his OC can find another way to spring him. Don't forget the big downfield catch that kept the drive going in the dying minutes. Before Wilder had his break out RB games I thought he should have been in the lineup along with Whitaker as a SB/RB because of his receiving ability over the middle that I saw early on. I think at the time I mentioned he would have made a great TE back in the era of Mel Profit, Jim Worden, Funston etc. Wilder is a very good athlete who could probably be good on defense as well. I hope he comes back.