Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It's not as if the people of Toronto took a look and decided they weren't interested in Argonaut tailgates. The truth is that the average Joe was never even aware of the Argonaut tailgates, let alone what a great experience they can be.
    And yet some fans believe they were effective marketing. Something does not compute.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Who's talking advertising in the sense of commercials?
    I was. That's what you quoted and replied to:

Really? Considering the team is owned by the 2 biggest media companies in the country, I would venture to say TV and radio commercials can be had for considerably less.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    They don't pay for slots when they own the content. The CRTC allows media companies to sell most slots for a profit, however there's usually 1-2 minutes per half hour for "local availability"/in house content. Originally, it was set up for the Canadian Media companies to promote in house Canadian programming, but in September 2015 IIRC it was changed to include anything they own or have the rights to. So as an example, say your watching a TSN and see a promo for a Leaf game, Bell doesn't pay themselves to air it, neither does Rogers pay when they air ads for the Blue Jays. It may cost Bell and Rogers money to make the ads, but nowhere near $350k, and it costs them nothing to air these promos. Do you honestly think Bell paid themselves when the "This is Argos Football" promo aired on CTV ?

Media blitzes work to a degree, and it seems as though the tailgating didn't. Look at it this way, if tailgating was doing so well and popular, why did they combine the tailgating and Shipyard in 2017 after having it separate in 2016 ?
    And why is the Shipyard being kept around, but not the tailgate ?

Also, you state that tv advertising delivers the lowest bang for buck, and while digital advertising revenue has surpassed tv ad revenue, 75% of consumers state that tv advertising are the most effective at reaching them.
    https://spinsucks.com/marketing/tv-a...tal-marketing/

You may want to look up some of the things that you're trying to pass off as "facts".
    I'm not talking about the promos for upcoming games. I'm talking about actual commercials. The Argonauts had to pay to produce and air their This Is Argonauts Football spots. Now they were paying themselves in a manner of speaking when the spots aired on a Bell owned station but the money still moved from the Argonauts to the Bell owned station.

TV advertising is also the most expensive to produce and air so you're already starting out with a big investment. Then add in how television is consumed today with many people recording content and skipping the commercials or downloading & streaming their content and television becomes even less effective.

I don't need to look them up, I studied them for years to get my marketing degree.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    To me I'm happy we have ownership that stops any bleeding as fast as possible ... even if some fans are butthurt about it. Too many times in the past we watched ownerships throw good money after bad ideas.
    By that logic then the Argonauts should also stop all paid advertising and paid marketing because they spent huge money the last 2 seasons (especially the first season at BMO Field) and the attendance didn't increase.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    And yet some fans believe they were effective marketing. Something does not compute.
    The Tailgates and the move to BMO Field are the only thing that have seemed to generate any buzz about the Argonauts since the signing of Ricky Williams and before that Rocket Ismail.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Well I see this thread went deep into dead horse territory!

At the risk of being unsentimental, I will offer this: the team doesn't owe us a tailgate. The team doesn't owe us a detailed accounting of why they cancelled it. The team doesn't owe us shit. It's been losing money since 1990 and were it anything other than North America's oldest continuous sports franchise it would have folded long ago. The sense of entitlement that people have on this board astounds me sometimes.

The 2017 Eastern Final was one of the best live sports experiences of my last decade, tailgate or no. The Argos are offering me a 25% ticket discount to come back for more and I'm gladly doing so, moving 20 yards closer to centre and adding an extra season ticket for good measure.

If this latest ticket gambit doesn't work we might not have an Argo team to complain about in a few years. Knowing that, I think it's a great time to focus on the superb value of a game ticket and, as they say, pull together.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    Well I see this thread went deep into dead horse territory!

At the risk of being unsentimental, I will offer this: the team doesn't owe us a tailgate. The team doesn't owe us a detailed accounting of why they cancelled it. The team doesn't owe us shit. It's been losing money since 1990 and were it anything other than North America's oldest continuous sports franchise it would have folded long ago. The sense of entitlement that people have on this board astounds me sometimes.

The 2017 Eastern Final was one of the best live sports experiences of my last decade, tailgate or no. The Argos are offering me a 25% ticket discount to come back for more and I'm gladly doing so, moving 20 yards closer to centre and adding an extra season ticket for good measure.

If this latest ticket gambit doesn't work we might not have an Argo team to complain about in a few years. Knowing that, I think it's a great time to focus on the superb value of a game ticket and, as they say, pull together.
    Agreed. I was mad at the beginning before the price drop and official announcement as we only had naylor's tweet to go on. I used my credit plus an extra $20 to get a second seat in section 116, in hopes that I can bring people to the games repeatedly and hopefully get them hooked, as I was in 2009, thanks to a friend, though my seats at BMO are nowhere near as good as the sections at the 35-45 yard lines at Robbers Centre, I hope they will suffice.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    Agreed. I was mad at the beginning before the price drop and official announcement as we only had naylor's tweet to go on. I used my credit plus an extra $20 to get a second seat in section 116, in hopes that I can bring people to the games repeatedly and hopefully get them hooked, as I was in 2009, thanks to a friend, though my seats at BMO are nowhere near as good as the sections at the 35-45 yard lines at Robbers Centre, I hope they will suffice.
    Pretty incredible you got hooked watching to 2009 Argonauts...thought it would have driven you away...far far away.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Pretty incredible you got hooked watching to 2009 Argonauts...thought it would have driven you away...far far away.
    It was the whole football experience and the fact that the very first game I attended was actually the season opener in the hammer, one of our few wins that year. It was largely due to the ticats fans' passion and support for their team at that game that caught my interest. As such I wont make fun of or belittle the fans, but I have no problem picking on the team itself.

I chose the Argos as they were the closer team to where I lived at the time and was easier and cheaper to get to see regularly (why support a team actively if you can't attend the games and see them live?).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    It was the whole football experience and the fact that the very first game I attended was actually the season opener in the hammer, one of our few wins that year. It was largely due to the ticats fans' passion and support for their team at that game that caught my interest. As such I wont make fun of or belittle the fans, but I have no problem picking on the team itself
    I also became a super fan after watching my first live game in Hamilton in 1991. Loved the Argos colours. Loved how we spoiled Hamilton’s party. Fondly remember being amazed at Pinball’s juke moves and wanting to try them once I got home.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It was the whole football experience and the fact that the very first game I attended was actually the season opener in the hammer, one of our few wins that year. It was largely due to the ticats fans' passion and support for their team at that game that caught my interest. As such I wont make fun of or belittle the fans, but I have no problem picking on the team itself.

I chose the Argos as they were the closer team to where I lived at the time and was e7asier and cheaper to get to see regularly (why support a team actively if you can't attend the games and see them live?).
    Yes the Argos looked very good in that season opener in Hamilton in 2009.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    It was largely due to the ticats fans' passion and support for their team at that game that caught my interest. As such I wont make fun of or belittle the fans, but I have no problem picking on the team itself.
    Interestingly, I go the opposite route.
    I will not mock the team (unless they hire some sex crime-enabling coach!), but I will mercilessly mock their fans, given my personal interactions with them in the past.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    So we have an unsubstantiated comment from an anonymous third party that the tailgate cost $350,000. Until the powers that be, provide a detailed accounting breakdown of the costs, we will have absolutely no idea of the real costs of the tailgating.

It appears that tailgating was cancelled on the basis that Manning considered it "forced" and "cost too much". Sorry but an explanation based on a more objective and informed analysis should have been communicated before removing a promotion unique to this team and that hundreds of fans enjoyed.
    When has a pro sports team (other than community-owned) ever provided such a detailed accounting breakdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    By that logic then the Argonauts should also stop all paid advertising and paid marketing because they spent huge money the last 2 seasons (especially the first season at BMO Field) and the attendance didn't increase.
    If traditional advertising decreased from year one to year two, then they did the right thing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PullTogether73 View Post
    Interestingly, I go the opposite route.
    I will not mock the team (unless they hire some sex crime-enabling coach!), but I will mercilessly mock their fans, given my personal interactions with them in the past.
    I haven't had many interactions with Hamilton fans, certainly no bad ones yet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is the last I will say on this subject. To me, the tailgates did nothing to help the team business wise. As I have mentioned, attendance decreased from year 1 to 2. The team decided to benefit 100% of the ticket buyers by lowering prices as opposed to the maybe 3% that would partake in the tailgate. How anybody can't see the logic there is beyond me.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    This is the last I will say on this subject. To me, the tailgates did nothing to help the team business wise. As I have mentioned, attendance decreased from year 1 to 2. The team decided to benefit 100% of the ticket buyers by lowering prices as opposed to the maybe 3% that would partake in the tailgate. How anybody can't see the logic there is beyond me.
    I agree. What did Churchill say again? Never has so much noise been made by so many for so few. Or something like that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    And how your types here just have to spin this move as an either or decision, and how the Argo "ownership" brain-trust must obviously be always in the right over the know nothing joe average fans ... is not beyond me - it's predictable. There's some real football bizness experts at work here folks - so shut-up and buy your discounted STs. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    And how your types here just have to spin this move as an either or decision, and how the Argo "ownership" brain-trust must obviously be always in the right over the know nothing joe average fans ... is not beyond me - it's predictable. There's some real football bizness experts at work here folks - so shut-up and buy your discounted STs. ;o)
    We get it.

You NEVER believe any management decision is a good one - simply because it is management.
    You have repeated this mantra ad nauseum for years, both in regard to the Argos, other CFL teams, and the CFL management.
    GOBs, anti-Canadians (or anti-"non imports" to use your dated term), and business experts/bean counters- all know nothing compared to the average fan who has no knowledge of costs, budgets, etc.

We get it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PullTogether73 View Post
    We get it.

You NEVER believe any management decision is a good one - simply because it is management.
    You have repeated this mantra ad nauseum for years, both in regard to the Argos, other CFL teams, and the CFL management.
    GOBs, anti-Canadians (or anti-"non imports" to use your dated term), and business experts/bean counters- all know nothing compared to the average fan who has no knowledge of costs, budgets, etc.

We get it.
    Shouldn't MLSE be a breath of fresh air, or have they already become GOB's ?

OV's just anti establishment, and always against the majority it seems. It's his schtick.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I still haven't seen anyone explain why it had to be an Either Or decision. They could have done both.