Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I hope your last statement of seasons ticket holders will renew anyways holds ... Because for me this helps me to decide not to renew some of my tickets next year.

dmonts statement ......
    Last point: Manning might have a bigger bank account than me, but that doesn't mean he's infallible. He's been a sports executive, but in leagues where the teams have always been cool and popular and not had the same problems the Argos have. Say what you want about Copeland and the execution, be he'd been a CFL executive for a long time and I think he had a better appreciation for what a successful tailgate would do for the team. Manning's been here for a cup of coffee, and I don't think he has nearly the same understanding of what they're getting into. You want to know what makes me worried? You're free to invent your own stories about why you think Manning axed the tailgate (lawsuits? show me the evidence), but all we know for sure is he took a look at it and said "it's forced. not enough people are doing it. it's not popular enough". Didn't we all think MLSE had the ability to MAKE things popular? How long before they decide "not enough people like the Argonauts. they're not popular enough"?
    I know Naylor's convinced, but this is a red flag for me. I think
    it reflects a lack of thoughtfulness and nuance.

That scares me ..... Because I agree that Copland knows the nuances of the CFL and the tailgate is one of them .
    I have 6 seasons .... The tailgate is used every game .....and for at least 3 games a season we will get 10-20 more people out.
    They all don't become season ticket holders but they do come to a couple games a year and they do follow the Argos now.

I'm not sure I will renew 6 in the future.... It's the experience that creates the atmosphere. It's the annual family gathering at the home opener ..... The 5,7 and 10 yr olds aren't getting into the shipyard. ..... It's the Women's Sports Network that comes together at least once a season ...... It's the summer birthdays that get celebrated ..... Sorry I'm not reserving 20 seats at a local restaurant for those..... We can hold a tailgate and then the game ..... Maybe best to do this at home from now on with my blue truck and new BBQ .... Yep this may be the last year for 6 seasons .....I will buy 2 from now on .

I am very disappointed . I'm not sure Manning knows what the repercussions will be .... I don't think they thought this out ....
    It does look like he has taken his cookie cutter mold and placed it on the Argos . If it works ..... Good .... I guess the experience will be a TFC style one now ....

And sorry if the the tailgate seems forced but that's all we have in
    Ontario ....so please don't take it away!..... Oh yea they already did. Damn

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    They did the right thing which was lower ticket prices. Good lord those prices were out of whack. The tailgate, which was obviously great with some fans, didn't do anything attendance wise. Build the regular attendance first. I hate to see the tailgate go, but I think lower prices are more effective than the tailgate. If you get more fans, a natural tailgate might ensue...who knows, if the feds can legalize pot, maybe the province can loosen the liquor laws a smidge.