Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level

Tailgating Cancelled

Is what I read on 3Down for real, that the tailgates are cancelled? I find this really hard to believe and amazing if true.

http://3downnation.com/2018/04/09/ar...-2018-changes/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Unbelievable, incredibly disappointing. Tailgating is a no brainer. It's done formally or informally in just about every football market in North America. Done right, it would be something unique that people could get from an Argonauts game that they can't get from any other Toronto sports team.

The Argonauts don't have a lack of interest problem. They have a won't-get-your-a$$-off-the-couch-and-show-up-at-the-game problem. They need to find some kind of gameday experience that is worth turning off the TV and showing up for. The tailgate was it. Done right, it's something great that you get from attending that does not translate through the TV screen.

The big caveat is the whole "done right" thing, and I would argue that the tailgate barely scratched the surface of it's potential under Copeland for obvious reasons. With the MLSE muscle behind it, they finally would have had the resources to do it right.

Manning, how could you think this was a good idea? Why should the casual fan show up now? Now, what's supposed to be the hook that builds the attendance? Tarped-off sections? Tried that. Cheaper tickets? Tried that. Outdoor games in a small stadium? Tried that.

That's it. It's hashtag time. #BringBackArgoTailgate . Even if you don't like social media, this trending crap is what an organization like MLSE pays attention to. Tweet and post it if you want MLSE to take notice and rethink their decision.
    Last edited by dmont; 04-09-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Grr. That was one thing that WAS working.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    WTF. This was something to build on and make better not tear down. Pinball as brand ambassador is a good thing. He should still be the Argo CEO. Very muted attendance goals based upon my fear of doing nothing. The team will be very good this year and it looks as though they will be called upon to fill seats by their play rather than any effort made by management. Tarping seats? Really? Very disappointed. What will be the point of the town hall? Not to solicit feedback as they seem to have made their decisions. This guy clearly has zero passion for the team he has been put in charge of. Argos deserve better.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Hard to tell a TFC guy is now running the Argos!😅

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's worth the costs in a long run attempt to get fan base to grow IMO

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's all about the $ with MLSE! They weren't able to gouge fans at the Tailgates so they had to cancel them.

MLSE is a joke. I warned people about what they'd do to the Argonauts.

Wasn't discounted Tailgate parking one of the season ticket holder benefits?!?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Very dissapointed they are cancelling tailgating. Had a lot of fun meeting other football fans etc.
    It was also the hook to get other friends down to a game. Already had more planning on it for this year.
    I'm guessing the MLSE lawyers looked at this and said it was a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It makes no sense in terms of building fan support for a team that badly needs all the promotion that it can get.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    This from the organization that likes to provide a similar experience in Maple Leaf Square for Leafs/Raptors and unofficially liberty village I am just amazed.

Assuming costs are:

Permit & lot rental: is there an appetite to slap on an entry fee among us in addition to the parking fee to help bridge this gap?
    Security: assuming necessary for permit so no ideas here
    Marketing Company: I understood that a marketing company was hired to run the tailgate. Was their contract too much. Now that we're part of MLSE with their marketers in house, is this not now cheaper?
    Food Trucks: not really vital as most tailgaters know to bring their own food
    Parking Lot marshalls: I thought the marshalls were Argo staffers but maybe not. Why not ask for volunteers for volunteers from the fan base? Invite people to a education session, train them how to park the cars and then have them co-ordinate their own shifts on game day.
    Beer Girls/Guy: These are essential workers! LOL

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Emailed the Argonauts about this. I will call them when I have time.

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    So much for all those mini group sessions they held last year to get STHs opinions on what was and what wasn't working for them. At least at the one I attended, I know that the tailgaiting was specifically mentioned as something that was appreciated by the fans and how many of us felt that they helped bond together the Argo fan base. Sigh, it always seems to be one mini step forward and 10 giant steps backward with this team.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Always one step forward two steps back with this team. Will they at least allow people to tailgate on their own? I get not allowing alcohol in the lots (laws and all) but can you still use grills, hang out and toss footballs on an organic level? I sure hope so. MLSE have all the money in the world for their other teams but can't spare pocket change for the Argos. Nothing changes and nothing will change.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Level
    I wish we knew more about why it's being cancelled. Usually if you don't know the answer to a question, the answer is "money" so that's probably it - but I hope they considered ways to modify what seemed to be a successful event before bailing on it. It felt like the beginning of a tradition. People want to belong to a community and the tailgates gave me that feeling more than the game did.

Frustrating. My wife enjoyed the tailgates more than the games. We met up with friends there - although it was a little stressful trying to time our arrivals so we could park adjacently. (Wish we could have pre-booked a spot. There are lots of things the team could have tried before just abandoning this.)

I wish they could have made the original plan work which was to have the majority of the tailgates in the CNE lot adjacent to the stadium. That would have made everything bigger and better. Who knows what logistical plans scuttled that though.
    Faster + Louder = Better

New Fan
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    As always feedback is important and appreciated. Although tailgate at Ontario Place will not take place. It should be noted that the Shipyard at Barricks will be back and offer fans a great venue pre-game. Although I do not have all the details (those will come) I wanted to ensure many of you were aware of this. A few other things to note:

1. Price reduction on season tickets - season ticket holders will receive a credit applied to their account
    2. Pre-season game will be held in Guelph - season ticket holders will receive the value credited to their account
    3. Further enhanced in game experience

I can assure everyone that ownership is committed to growing the fan base and the Argonauts brand within this market.

Thank you for the continued support of the Toronto Argonauts
    Michael Hook

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook16 View Post
    As always feedback is important and appreciated. Although tailgate at Ontario Place will not take place. It should be noted that the Shipyard at Barricks will be back and offer fans a great venue pre-game. Although I do not have all the details (those will come) I wanted to ensure many of you were aware of this. A few other things to note:

1. Price reduction on season tickets - season ticket holders will receive a credit applied to their account
    2. Pre-season game will be held in Guelph - season ticket holders will receive the value credited to their account

I can assure everyone that ownership is committed to growing the fan base and the Argonauts brand within this market.

Michael Hook
    I can safely say that the fans who are on this forum appreciate you taking time to log in and provide us with reassurance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Emailed the Argonauts about this. I will call them when I have time.
    Mike Hook has replied. Nothing confidential here so I'm going to share his response:

As always thank you for the email and feedback. I can appreciate your frustration but can advise that although tailgate is cancelled we will be have the Shipyard back for this season at the Barracks. The plan is to fully activate this area for pre-game and work with Budweiser on building out a fan and engaging space.

Not sure if you have seen but we have also rolled out revised pricing and a rescaling of the stadium. Something that was discussed last year at the open mic nights. Please note that you will receive a credit on your account for the difference of what you paid, including a credit for the value of the pre-season game.

Please note that I am no longer working on the Argos ticketing. MLSE has shifted my focus to the premium side of the business (suites) for Argos and other teams. That said I am always happy to help out season tickets holders. You will be contacted in the coming days from one of the sales reps.

Thank you for the continued support and I can assure you that MLSE is committed to growing the Argos fan base!

MICHAEL HOOK | PREMIUM SALES

Toronto Argonauts Football Club

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level

Michael Hook
    I would gladly give up any ticket credit if it meant keeping the tailgates. Shame on MLSE for nickel and diming this club and killing something that could have grown into a very unique sports experience for many Torontonians.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level

Michael Hook
    WHY????? Why won't the tailgate take place?

Shipyard is not the same as a tailgate. Any Toronto team can (and probably does) provide some version of the Shipyard, there's nothing about it that lets the Argos stand out in a crowded professional sports market. Standing around with a cheap hotdog and a plastic cup in my hand isn't the same as driving up with a barbeque, cooler, lawn chairs, and stereo. Why do you think virtually every other football team in North America does a tailgate instead of a "Shipyard"? Because it's different, organic, and unique! I understand Ontario liquor laws make tailgating a special challenge that imposes some constraints, but this is something that should be grown not shut down.

I say boo to your bosses, Michael Hook, for a lack of vision and lack of understanding into what's been tried in the past and what this team needs to do differently. I hope everyone else joins me in campaigning to have this decision reversed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Mike Hook has replied. Nothing confidential here so I'm going to share his response:

As always thank you for the email and feedback. I can appreciate your frustration but can advise that although tailgate is cancelled we will be have the Shipyard back for this season at the Barracks. The plan is to fully activate this area for pre-game and work with Budweiser on building out a fan and engaging space.

Not sure if you have seen but we have also rolled out revised pricing and a rescaling of the stadium. Something that was discussed last year at the open mic nights. Please note that you will receive a credit on your account for the difference of what you paid, including a credit for the value of the pre-season game.

Please note that I am no longer working on the Argos ticketing. MLSE has shifted my focus to the premium side of the business (suites) for Argos and other teams. That said I am always happy to help out season tickets holders. You will be contacted in the coming days from one of the sales reps.

Thank you for the continued support and I can assure you that MLSE is committed to growing the Argos fan base!

MICHAEL HOOK | PREMIUM SALES

Toronto Argonauts Football Club
    My reply in case anyone is interested:

Thank you for the quick reply. It's very disappointing that the new Argonauts president is choosing to take away the one unique game day experience that the Argonauts had.

The Argonauts get good TV Ratings and poor attendance, the exact opposite of TFC. MLSE should be enhancing the Tailgates, not cancelling them.

This just reinforces MLSE's reputation as being a greedy entity that's more interested in the Suits and caviar crowd than the real fans.