Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Eliminating an effort to promote the Argos and the game day experience at the stadium - one that has been reported as popular & fun by many fans - or ANY effort to promote and market this team, is a"non issue" ? Sorry, I just don't get that.
    Attendance numbers speak volumes IMO, tailgating has had little to no effect on the bottom line, sorry OV.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    yea... I'm with OVArgo on this one .... If at least 10 % of your seasons ticket holders (if not more) are participating in this .... its not a non-issue.
    It is a non-issue if you don't care about your existing STH.

I agree with the cost of the tickets .... and reducing them will hopefully work ... but rather than nix the tailgate, figuring out a less expensive alternative may have kept a good number of the STH happier.... but that may not fit into Mannings pre set program the Argos are to follow.
    Let’s see what the Argos come up with in regards to the game day experience and see what happens, perhaps the 350 or so STH’s that are unhappy or upset at this cancellation will be happy with the change.
    Personally I see more upside in drawing more fans to the games with affordable ticket pricing vs tailgating which seemed to be Michael Copeland’s answer for everything.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Argo attendance at the Dome was above 30,000 from 1989 through 1992. There was an increase in attendance from 1991 to 1992, but it wasn't significant.
    Slight decrease from 1991 to 1992, according to this database:

https://stats.cfldb.ca/team/toronto-...tendance/1991/
    https://stats.cfldb.ca/team/toronto-...tendance/1992/
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Let’s see what the Argos come up with in regards to the game day experience and see what happens, perhaps the 350 or so STH’s that are unhappy or upset at this cancellation will be happy with the change.
    Personally I see more upside in drawing more fans to the games with affordable ticket pricing vs tailgating which seemed to be Michael Copeland’s answer for everything.

Again though - you seem to be framing it as an either or choice. Reduced ticket prices AND a continuation of some sort of "tailgate" type pre-game/stadium experience effort = why not do both ?

I know you're not going to defer to a "well this Manning guy is an expert and knows all / knows best" type argument. If nothing happens and your wait & see what they do with game experience ideas comes up empty ... ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Attendance numbers speak volumes IMO, tailgating has had little to no effect on the bottom line, sorry OV.
    And the average attendance actually went down the 2nd year, despite having a much better team, so I don't see the optimism of it that others seem to.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Again though - you seem to be framing it as an either or choice. Reduced ticket prices AND a continuation of some sort of "tailgate" type pre-game/stadium experience effort = why not do both ?

I know you're not going to defer to a "well this Manning guy is an expert and knows all / knows best" type argument. If nothing happens and your wait & see what they do with game experience ideas comes up empty ... ?
    They could have done both, maybe they simply decided that tailgating wasn’t bringing any added value to the equation (overall attendance would indicate it hasn’t).
    I would be willing to guess they discussed internally the potential upside of future attendance (with reduced ticket pricing) vs potential downside of eliminating tailgating which would make their decision prudent as well.
    Let’s say 350 to 400 season ticket holders are pissed off about the tailgating situation I don’t see many (if any) packing it in but on the flip side I could see more affordable ticket pricing drawing people in as STH’s viewing the Argos as great entertainment for the $$.
    Manning has had great success with TFC but not sure if he understands the CFL or not, seems to have the typical MLSE corporate speak down to a science so time will tell IMO.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

New Fan
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

Tailgate

Put me on the side of season ticket holders who are looking for a refund. I'll still be going to games, just not all of them like I did with our tailgating group. Our group were four guys who went to every game and made each game an event. We planned our meals a week in advance depending on who we were playing. Salmon and lobster for BC, steak or ribs for Alberta teams. We even make deep fried beaver tails for Ottawa during the Grey Cup. Our Hamilton meals were by far the worst! How do you bbq baloney?!

Each game, we brought others with us as well. Our tailgate often took up two spots and had as many as 15 people at any given time. Many in those groups returned to get tickets and tailgate with us 2 or 3 times each year. None of them would have come on their own. Each and everyone are regulars to the Leafs, Jays, Raptors and TFC. Each agreed that the tailgate was a blast and was unique and would return. I'll tell you it wasn't the quality of play 2 years ago that got them out!

If they are getting rid of the tailgate because it didn't improve attendance, then they might as well get rid of everything else they did the past 2 years. Get rid of the costly signage at BMO; that didn't help. Get rid of the cheap season ticket gifts; that didn't help either. Get rid of the hip hop dancers, the drummers, the plane fly overs, none of those helped and all cost money.

For those that could care less that the tailgate was cancelled is a shame. It's a shame that you didn't take advantage of it. It's a shame that you didn't reach out to your family and friends and make going to an Argo game a full day event. I can tell you if you did it once, you would have been hooked.

I'm also quite confident that if it was allowed to continue, it would have grown. The tailgates the second season were just as big or bigger than the first season. The last tailgate for the Eastern Final was amazing. So as the Argo crowds in BMO dwindled to some games just over 10,000, the tailgates didn't.

Hopefully the crowds will improve this year and the new management finds a way to bring back something that was entirely unique to the Toronto sporting scene. When that happens, sign me up for 4 seasons tickets again instead of a couple flex packs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    And the average attendance actually went down the 2nd year, despite having a much better team, so I don't see the optimism of it that others seem to.
    I agree AV, also tailgating was Michael Copeland’s vision not Manning’s so no shock that this was one of the first changes announced.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Put me on the side of season ticket holders who are looking for a refund. I'll still be going to games, just not all of them like I did with our tailgating group. Our group were four guys who went to every game and made each game an event. We planned our meals a week in advance depending on who we were playing. Salmon and lobster for BC, steak or ribs for Alberta teams. We even make deep fried beaver tails for Ottawa during the Grey Cup. Our Hamilton meals were by far the worst! How do you bbq baloney?!

Each game, we brought others with us as well. Our tailgate often took up two spots and had as many as 15 people at any given time. Many in those groups returned to get tickets and tailgate with us 2 or 3 times each year. None of them would have come on their own. Each and everyone are regulars to the Leafs, Jays, Raptors and TFC. Each agreed that the tailgate was a blast and was unique and would return. I'll tell you it wasn't the quality of play 2 years ago that got them out!

If they are getting rid of the tailgate because it didn't improve attendance, then they might as well get rid of everything else they did the past 2 years. Get rid of the costly signage at BMO; that didn't help. Get rid of the cheap season ticket gifts; that didn't help either. Get rid of the hip hop dancers, the drummers, the plane fly overs, none of those helped and all cost money.

For those that could care less that the tailgate was cancelled is a shame. It's a shame that you didn't take advantage of it. It's a shame that you didn't reach out to your family and friends and make going to an Argo game a full day event. I can tell you if you did it once, you would have been hooked.

I'm also quite confident that if it was allowed to continue, it would have grown. The tailgates the second season were just as big or bigger than the first season. The last tailgate for the Eastern Final was amazing. So as the Argo crowds in BMO dwindled to some games just over 10,000, the tailgates didn't.

Hopefully the crowds will improve this year and the new management finds a way to bring back something that was entirely unique to the Toronto sporting scene. When that happens, sign me up for 4 seasons tickets again instead of a couple flex packs.
    I’m sure making an Argonaut game a “full day event” means many things to many people.
    As always I will be attending Argonaut games this season with my 14 year old son so our game day experience consists a GO train ride to the stadium, a walk around to check things out, and dinner before or after the game (depending on the day and time of the game) somewhere in Liberty Village, works well for us.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I woud love to bring a grill and some beers this season and have my own little tailgate with a few friends just to see what would happen.

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    I’m sure making an Argonaut game a “full day event” means many things to many people.
    As always I will be attending Argonaut games this season with my 14 year old son so our game day experience consists a GO train ride to the stadium, a walk around to check things out, and dinner before or after the game (depending on the day and time of the game) somewhere in Liberty Village, works well for us.
    I agree with you and that's what I'll be doing too, just not every game. In fact, that's the exact same 'experience' I get when I go to the Jays, Leafs, Raptors, or TFC, and that's the point I was trying to make. The tailgate, was unique and something new for the city. I just find it a shame that they couldn't find a way to keep it and allow it to grow.

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    I woud love to bring a grill and some beers this season and have my own little tailgate with a few friends just to see what would happen.
    Our group is most likely going to try to do it for the home opener. Just have to figure which parking lot is best.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Our group is most likely going to try to do it for the home opener. Just have to figure which parking lot is best.
    5 years in the slammer (no parole), this is Toronto after all!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Judging by comments I've read - here and on the comments portion of the 3RD Down report on the matter - range from lots of disappointment to anger and include guys saying they won't be going to games as often to wanting to cancel their tix. and get a refund; along with some of it's no big deal or the right move.

Love to hear somebody put a question to Manning to see if he has heard of all the negative response and anger & disappointment over the move - and to hear his response. Too much to ask for (a response that is) ?

New Fan
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Judging by comments I've read - here and on the comments portion of the 3RD Down report on the matter - range from lots of disappointment to anger and include guys saying they won't be going to games as often to wanting to cancel their tix. and get a refund; along with some of it's no big deal or the right move.

Love to hear somebody put a question to Manning to see if he has heard of all the negative response and anger & disappointment over the move - and to hear his response. Too much to ask for (a response that is) ?
    So why not start a petition and let them see how many disgruntled current and potential fans there are who would like to see the tailgate reinstated?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneDeaf View Post
    So why not start a petition and let them see how many disgruntled current and potential fans there are who would like to see the tailgate reinstated?
    It's an idea for sure.

Could also try to draft an e-mail or some sort of note to Manning to see what his reaction and response would be. A job for somebody who has some faith that a corporate suit would care and bother to respond. ;o)

New Fan
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    It's an idea for sure.

Could also try to draft an e-mail or some sort of note to Manning to see what his reaction and response would be. A job for somebody who has some faith that a corporate suit would care and bother to respond. ;o)
    One email from one person wouldn’t be nearly enough, no matter how powerfully worded.

If people want their tailgate back, then there has to be weight of numbers behind the message, be it by traditional means or preferably modern, easily and highly-visible social media methods.

An opportunity for an Argo diehard to make voices heard. Anyone up for the job?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    OV makes a valid point when he questions why it had to be an either/or issue. It would be illuminating to see an objective accounting breakdown as to the actual cost of the tailgating.

Having read a number of posts, indicating tailgating attracted family and friends, who normally wouldn't have attended games; it raises the interesting question as to how much more the attendance might have dropped, especially in the 2nd year, without the tailgating experience.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I am willing to see what Manning and the organization have in store for their new game day experience. Pre game, In game and Post game. Something that differentiates them from the other teams, that will evolve but be consistently done so that Argo games become a destination event 10 times per year. The problem in the past has always been consistency and commitment of ownership. The tailgate is just another idea that has been forgotten because there is new management again. Just have a plan and do it. Michael Copeland did not have a plan beyond opening day 2016 because nothing was built off of that day. This is why it has been difficult to gain traction in the minds of Toronto fans. That and intentional media bias to not cover the team.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If Argonaut attendance figures were rising I might be inclined to agree but the opposite is in fact true so eliminating tailgating is a non issue IMO.
    It's the only thing that differentiated the Argonauts gameday experience from every other Toronto teams gameday experience.