Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I still haven't seen anyone explain why it had to be an Either Or decision. They could have done both.
    Easy to spend other people’s money I guess?
    They have made a strategic decision to give up ticket revenue via reduced ticket pricing (which benefits everyone) and cut expenses for an event that relatively few took advantage of, sound business decision IMO.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PullTogether73 View Post
    We get it.

You NEVER believe any management decision is a good one - simply because it is management.
    You have repeated this mantra ad nauseum for years, both in regard to the Argos, other CFL teams, and the CFL management.
    GOBs, anti-Canadians (or anti-"non imports" to use your dated term), and business experts/bean counters- all know nothing compared to the average fan who has no knowledge of costs, budgets, etc.

We get it.
    "NEVER" - oh really - nice spin job pal; you don't seem that capable in the reading comprehension department or the ability to carry on a nuanced conversation here.

BTW - just FYI - i believe the Argos made some real good football decisions lately - hiring Marc Trestman as HC; sticking with Ricky Ray at QB; finding some good new talent - like Wilder and Butler; signing /acquiring some good vets like Woods, SJ Green, Ball; making some good draft picks - like McEwen, Noel, (and hopefully the likes of Foster & Woodson from last draft).

But yep - I NEVER have anything good to say about the Argos - just hated it last season when they won the GC with an under-rated "NI" like Matt Black making a huge all-time Argo play.

Really sorry if I offend your poor little notions of how the Argos should be though; and for not blindly or dutifully cheering on everything this incredible, genius ownership corporation does. I get what you're about though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    They have made a strategic decision to give up ticket revenue via reduced ticket pricing (which benefits everyone) and cut expenses for an event that relatively few took advantage of, sound business decision IMO.
    The way I see it is the team was losing money on the tailgate and on top of that finally came to the realization a lot of fans here made note of, and that's the pricing structure didn't make sense for the current market, so they "fixed" the pricing which in a sense they "lose" revenue, and cut out an expanse that was also causing them to lose money. It makes little sense IMO to lose money on both the new ticket pricing and keeping around the tailgate. What I find odd is that even in 2016, there were more fans around here talking about the Shipyard than the tailgate, they've kept the Shipyard around, and it looks as though they've ensured a sponsor (Budweiser) will be a part of it, gotta think that helps the bottom line as well. At the end of the day, what some around here completely lose sight of is the Argos are a business, and no business is in it to lose money, which the Argos have done for decades now.

I hope that with the Official tailgate gone, parking goes from $30-35 to the normal Ex pricing at around $15. And as I've mentioned previously, I highly doubt the team or even the Exhibition Board for that matter will not allow fans to show up with their BBQ's etc and have their own organic type of tailgate, which IMO it should have been done from day one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    But we should remember that by cancelling the tailgating, it has diminished the pleasure of the Argo game experience for hundreds of loyal fans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I still haven't seen anyone explain why it had to be an Either Or decision. They could have done both.
    Please explain how you know this.
    What information do you have about costs, revenues, etc. about the Argonauts that the rest of us do not have?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    They could have done both by just doing less of a price reduction. That would have been even more strategic.

And given how small out ticket base is I wouldn't call a couple thousand tailgaters relatively few.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    They could have done both by just doing less of a price reduction. That would have been even more strategic.

And given how small out ticket base is I wouldn't call a couple thousand tailgaters relatively few.
    A couple of thousand tailgaters, any proof of that ?

Interesting how it went from a thousand to a couple of thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    But we should remember that by cancelling the tailgating, it has diminished the pleasure of the Argo game experience for hundreds of loyal fans.
    Interesting how you completely overlook that the team is bleeding money, but that's okay because a couple of hundred fans out of thousands want a tailgate.

Could you or anyone please show me where the team is prohibiting you and Neely from coming together and using a platform like twitter to organize the tailgate lovers and running one yourselves ?
    Don't worry, I won't hold my breath waiting for you answer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post

We've already been through this. We actually went to the Tailgates. The weekend Tailgates had around 2000. The weekday Tailgates were much smaller. The last Tailgate for the playoff game was around 3000. Either you believe our estimates or you don't.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    We've already been through this. We actually went to the Tailgates. The weekend Tailgates had around 2000. The weekday Tailgates were much smaller. The last Tailgate for the playoff game was around 3000. Either you believe our estimates or you don't.
    So no proof, why am I not surprised. Still find it interesting how you originally stated that the weekends were around a thousand, and have now become 2000. Not sure why your continually bringing up the playoff game, when out of 25,000 in attendance supposedly 3,000 people were at the tailgate.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Interesting how you completely overlook that the team is bleeding money, but that's okay because a couple of hundred fans out of thousands want a tailgate.

Could you or anyone please show me where the team is prohibiting you and Neely from coming together and using a platform like twitter to organize the tailgate lovers and running one yourselves ?
    Don't worry, I won't hold my breath waiting for you answer.
    That has already been addressed by some of us too. Considering that the police shut down the small TFC Fan Tailgates a few years ago we're simply not willing to violate Ontario's antiquated liquor laws. Hopefully the new premier will be open to changing those laws.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    So no proof, why am I not surprised. Still find it interesting how you originally stated that the weekends were around a thousand, and have now become 2000. Not sure why your continually bringing up the playoff game, when out of 25,000 in attendance supposedly 3,000 people were at the tailgate.
    How exactly would you like me to prove it? As I said before the Tailgates were growing. Season 2 had more weekend Tailgates than season 1. The 4PM weekend games had the biggest Tailgates. Why would I not bring up the playoff game Tailgate? It was the last one and the second biggest one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The way I see it is the team was losing money on the tailgate and on top of that finally came to the realization a lot of fans here made note of, and that's the pricing structure didn't make sense for the current market, so they "fixed" the pricing which in a sense they "lose" revenue, and cut out an expanse that was also causing them to lose money. It makes little sense IMO to lose money on both the new ticket pricing and keeping around the tailgate. What I find odd is that even in 2016, there were more fans around here talking about the Shipyard than the tailgate, they've kept the Shipyard around, and it looks as though they've ensured a sponsor (Budweiser) will be a part of it, gotta think that helps the bottom line as well. At the end of the day, what some around here completely lose sight of is the Argos are a business, and no business is in it to lose money, which the Argos have done for decades now.

I hope that with the Official tailgate gone, parking goes from $30-35 to the normal Ex pricing at around $15. And as I've mentioned previously, I highly doubt the team or even the Exhibition Board for that matter will not allow fans to show up with their BBQ's etc and have their own organic type of tailgate, which IMO it should have been done from day one.
    Agree 100%
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

It’s over Johnny, it’s over!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That has already been addressed by some of us too. Considering that the police shut down the small TFC Fan Tailgates a few years ago we're simply not willing to violate Ontario's antiquated liquor laws. Hopefully the new premier will be open to changing those laws.
    I'm sorry to hear about your hardship, I didn't realize that you were being forced to bring and drink alcohol.
    If you don't want to risk being fined, don't bring alcohol, I really don't understand how that logic is impossible for you to understand. If you and others want to drink and not risk a fine, head over to the Shipyard, really not rocket science going on over here, but seems to be just as confusing to some for whatever reason.

It's become apparent that you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    As much as I dislike getting into debates on this forum, it is healthy and important for all of us to express our opinions. Again, can I beseech folks to try to keep the disagreement civil and without sarcasm. Comments like" I wont hold my breath waiting for you (your) answer", have a negative connotation and are not necessary, to put forward a cogent point of view.

Those hundreds of us, who really enjoyed the tailgating for ourselves and our families are justifiably disappointed that it has been cancelled. For us, it was a unique game feature, which no other Toronto team has. Was it necessary to cancel the tailgating in order to reduce ticket prices? Personally, I'm not convinced it was but that is purely my opinion and as it has been pointed out quite correctly, professional sports teams are unlikely to give an accounting breakdown on any of their non on-field expenses.

Not that Neely needs to be defended but I suspect his comment of a couple of thousand tailgaters, would have referred to the total attendance at the tailgating over the season.

It is quite understandable that some saw no value in the tailgating experience and if some believe that the price reduction would only have occurred if the tailgating was cancelled, then I fully understand your view. All we are asking, is that those who feel that way, recognize and accept the disappointment of those who looked forward to the family tailgating experience. For hundreds of loyal Argo fans, it enriched our the game time experience and we regret its passing.