Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level

So what do we do with a 1st overall pick?

anyone remember if we traded any other picks away? 9th, 18th, 27th?

Draft class is suppose to be very strong this year. What don't we need?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Way too early, IMO. I agree that we need (or could easily use) a strong prospect at any position, but we don't even have the December rankings yet.

BPAODDWWPSWAY! (Best Player Available On Draft Day Who Will Probably Sign Within A Year)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Way too early, IMO. I agree that we need (or could easily use) a strong prospect at any position, but we don't even have the December rankings yet.

BPAODDWWPSWAY! (Best Player Available On Draft Day Who Will Probably Sign Within A Year)

I'd be more inclined to go with best player available - at a POSITION of NEED, who is 90 some per cent certain to sign for upcoming TC.

Again - Laval DE Matt Betts has the just amazing college ball resume (all-time best level category IMO), is super athletic/pro size AND fits a big area of need (a pass rush force at DE); but i keep hearing he is bound to get some sort of NFL look, so if that is the case = stay clear with the 1st overall.

There are a bunch of solid O-linemen up maybe, but none screams first rounder or starter right away maybe (Ciraco sure panned out for the Ticats this past season though).

Very talented receiver crop this draft IMO; but don't bother with an early pick unless the guy is going to get a real shot at playing time right away (Noel, and a healthy Coombs, with Ralph or last year's pick Cibasu around, might make it too crowded to use a top pick on another receiver, unless the guy is very highly regarded).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    If we're basing picks in part on need, don't we need to see what happens in free agency first? For all we know, Coombs and Noel might leave as FAs, which -- unless we replace them with other FAs -- might force us to draft receivers.

(To be clear, I don't know if either guy is a pending free agent.)

Running counter to this is the possibility that few FAs will be signed before the CBA is ratified.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Someone that can and will start pretty soon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think Kongbo will head to the NFL, so one of Betts, Richards or Fontana at this point IMO, but I wonder how many of 'em will get NFL camp invites.
    Last edited by R.J; 11-10-2018 at 12:32 AM.

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    Someone had mentioned signing bonus for the draft. Give each team a set amount - not to exceed eg.($250k) and it doesn't affect the cap. Break it up any way you want with as many in the draft as the team thinks. It may give the draft and combines more relevancy. I know it would. Argos 1st overall pick puts on an Argo Jersey at the draft because it is prearranged and it gets shown on TV. They go after the best available. If the league doesn't want to touch the ratio then we need this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I think Kongbo will head to the NFL, so one of Betts, Richards or Fontana at this point IMO, but I wonder how many of 'em will get NFL camp invites.

Richards was not playing on the Oaky State O-line in the game today vs the Sooners - bit i caught anyway (wild shoot-out); not sure what is up there (injured?) as i think he was playing earlier in the season?

IF he is not an established starter in his Senior year there, then that should raise some red flags (?) for making him a top CFL draft prospect; as it should have for former 1st overall CFL pick J. St-John by the Riders (who finally got to start some late this season, due to injury, for the Riders).

!st round CFL draft picks should ALWAYS be accomplished starter/ college ball all-star types, IMO. Darius Ciraco was a repeat CIS all-star O-lineman, and he responded as a solid rookie starter from game one on the Ticats O-line when they used a high draft pick on him.

Argo brass needs to be very wise with drafting; Popp's track record in his past number of years as a CFL GM in drafting is not so hot, IMO.

Kongbo blew out a knee this season, no ? That might make his CFL (or NFL) prospect status quite iffy ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    Someone had mentioned signing bonus for the draft. Give each team a set amount - not to exceed eg.($250k) and it doesn't affect the cap. Break it up any way you want with as many in the draft as the team thinks. It may give the draft and combines more relevancy. I know it would. Argos 1st overall pick puts on an Argo Jersey at the draft because it is prearranged and it gets shown on TV. They go after the best available. If the league doesn't want to touch the ratio then we need this.
    I have to disagree with this, at least at the $250k figure. That works out to an average of around $30-40k per pick. Rookies (both NATs and INTs) tend to make $50-70k per year. Giving big money to unproven players who may or may not pan out (the vast majority of picks don't have long careers, and very few of them become stars) is a recipe for salary escalation that would damage the league.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    Yes I agree with this. Teams wouldn't have to spend to the limit (although GM's probably would). So maybe the first round picks but also some CFL type import QB's coming out of College.
    A player like Betts out of Laval. A good signing bonus up front might make him think twice about trying the NFL right out of University. I would be selective though. But I would have to admit there will always be pros and cons to this idea.

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Yes I agree with this. Teams wouldn't have to spend to the limit (although GM's probably would). So maybe the first round picks but also some CFL type import QB's coming out of College.
    A player like Betts out of Laval. A good signing bonus up front might make him think twice about trying the NFL right out of University. I would be selective though. But I would have to admit there will always be pros and cons to this idea.
    thats what I think also. Every other league does it. I think by doing this we take a step forward but I could be wrong. Montreal with Johnny had the largest TV gain this year. It does make a difference. We have pre medicals and 4 years of U to gauge ability and desire and we haven't broke the bank to do it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    We should give a big signing bonus ($70k? More?) to a defensive end? How did that work for Sask with Shomari Williams? Sorry, but if the league is going to beef up how much it spends on players (and I've seen no evidence it has any intention of doing so), shouldn't it be spending it on players who have a chance to move tickets, like say quarterbacks and receivers?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    We should give a big signing bonus ($70k? More?) to a defensive end? How did that work for Sask with Shomari Williams? Sorry, but if the league is going to beef up how much it spends on players (and I've seen no evidence it has any intention of doing so), shouldn't it be spending it on players who have a chance to move tickets, like say quarterbacks and receivers?
    Or any player that has proven himself over a decent stretch of time.
    Throwing money at unproven prospects spells disaster IMO.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Shomari Williams. There is a cautionary tale. I remember some on here thinking that he was a "can't miss" prospect back in 2010.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Tiger-Cats fan here. I think you guys need to come away from this draft with a defensive end (Betts, the kid from Tennessee or the kid from Missori if he declares). Van Zyle is getting older and maybe draft someone to compete with Jamal Campbell to see who will be the future starter at right tackle.

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Shomari Williams. There is a cautionary tale. I remember some on here thinking that he was a "can't miss" prospect back in 2010.
    I like your opinions, don't care that Williams failed. I only care about the leagues profile, signing and placing a jersey on your 1st selection works for me. Like I said CAP the bonus but don't count it on the team salary CAP.

1st round selection fails - more to talk about. I don't see a downside except for the money and it is only once a year. Williams failed but lots did not and some held out for an NFL shot and they may not of gone if there is bonus money to be had. Like to know what the commissioner and PA think about it

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    My first choice would be DL Mathieu Betts even if we had to wait a year or two if he goes to the NFL or he needs some development time. We have to improve our DEs and if he isn't immediately available as a starter we could go with two Internationals.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    My first choice would be DL Mathieu Betts even if we had to wait a year or two if he goes to the NFL or he needs some development time. We have to improve our DEs and if he isn't immediately available as a starter we could go with two Internationals.
    Or trade down, accumulate picks and select players more likely to sign in Toronto.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Or trade down, accumulate picks and select players more likely to sign in Toronto.
    Winnipeg will want to move up and they have 2 1st round picks.Brady Olivera is going to be coveted by them.Local guy
    with excellent pass catching skills out of the backfield. Lapolice would appreciate his talents.They can bring him along slowly.
    They might be willing to overspend to get a tailor made replacement for Andrew Harris.

Boatman
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Kongbo blew out a knee this season, no ? That might make his CFL (or NFL) prospect status quite iffy ?
    Kongbo suffered an ACL and MCL tear.MCL tears for 300 pounders(weight bearing injury) at this late in 2018 will mean
    a drop down.2019 will be a shut down season rehabbing.He could end up like Justin Senior with a serious arthritic condition
    thus ending his career.