Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

More new blood for TC: Argos sign 6

ARGOS ADD SIX ON OFFENCE AND DEFENCEMay 16th, 2012

ARGONAUTS.CA STAFF
    Mississauga – The Toronto Argonauts are pleased to welcome back import RBGerald Riggs, who attended 2011 training camp with the team, and announce that imports DB Jalil Carter, DB Chris Golder, LB Bryan Payton, OT Chris Patrick and LBCraig Stevens have all signed contracts.

Gerald Riggs Jr. attended Argonauts’ training camp in 2011 and impressed coaches before sustaining an injury. Back at 100% and ready to compete, the 6-foot, 220-pound running back has been part of several NFL team rosters including the Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins. The former Tennessee Volunteer made a name for himself as a junior when he scampered for 1,107 yards and six touchdowns on 192 carries.

When DB Jalil Carter is on the field, the first thing that comes to mind is speed. Carter, who played both strong safety and receiver at Akron, has had stints with both the St. Louis Rams (NFL) and the Cleveland Gladiators (AFL). The Ohio native recorded the third-most tackles on the 2009 Akron Zips team with a total of 58 tackles, including 31 solos as a junior.

Christian Golder arrives at Argos’ training camp fresh out of Lindenwood University where he recorded 62 tackles, including 44 solo tackles. An NCAA Division II honorable mention All-American at Lindenwood, he also played one season at West Virginia Weslyan and attended Venture College where he earned First-Team All-State and All-Region.

OT Chris Patrick has spent time with several NFL teams including the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers, before landing with the Edmonton Eskimos last season. The 305-pounder played at Nebraska and started 12 games there in his final year.

LB Bryan Payton arrives to the Argonauts from Oregon State University where he tallied 50 tackles and two interceptions as a sophomore. Upon graduation, the California native played one year in the Serbian Association of American Football where he was Named SAAF Import Player of the Year.

Linebacker Craig Stevens is known for his versatility and quickness. As a member of the 2010 BCS Champion Auburn Tigers, Stevens recorded 62 total tackles (30 solo tackles) as a senior. With a 6-foot, 3-inch, 229 pound frame, Stevens has good size and started 37 straight games for Auburn beginning in his junior year.

The Toronto Argonauts also announced today that import WR Andrew Strickland has been released.

http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argo...ce-and-defence

Nice to see the competition at DB and LB. i'ma go watch my PVR of the Eskies playoff games and have a look at Chris Patrick... nice to see a second OT on our roster.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argo...ce-and-defence

Nice to see the competition at DB and LB. i'ma go watch my PVR of the Eskies playoff games and have a look at Chris Patrick... nice to see a second OT on our roster.

Strickland released? - and here i was thinking he had a pretty nice resume and could compete for a job in a big area of Argo need? The receiving corps = a big question mark going into TC; i'm hoping it's not going to be pencilled-in stuff with guys who have been around the CFL + are "familiar" with Ricky Ray or the coaching staff getting handed starting spots.

And i guess lots of competiton at any position is a good thing? - the Argos really need a lot more LBs for TC?

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    We may not need more LBs, but when you have a chance to sign the SAAF "Import Player of the Year" you don't hesitate.

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    We may not need more LBs, but when you have a chance to sign the SAAF "Import Player of the Year" you don't hesitate.
    Our recruitment has come a long way. Scouting the Serbian football league is awesome.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Barker will leave no stone unturned.

Obie may have kicked the Argos butts in the draft, but he didn't get SAAF Import of the Year. Take that, Cats!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I am a bit surprised by the re-signing of Gerald Riggs Jr. According to his bio, he has not played a meaningful game of football in years & that being at the college level. He must have shown the team's scouting dept something to get an invite to the main camp.

As for Chris Patrick, did Edmonton's line improve last year after it was a disaster the previous year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I am a bit surprised by the re-signing of Gerald Riggs Jr. According to his bio, he has not played a meaningful game of football in years & that being at the college level. He must have shown the team's scouting dept something to get an invite to the main camp.

As for Chris Patrick, did Edmonton's line improve last year after it was a disaster the previous year?
    I thought Riggs looked very good in camp last year (at least the 4 or 5 times I was there). It was a shame he got hurt when he did. I like Kackert too, but he fumbles the ball way too much for my liking. Should make for a good competition to see who backs up Boyd.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I thought Riggs looked very good in camp last year (at least the 4 or 5 times I was there). It was a shame he got hurt when he did. I like Kackert too, but he fumbles the ball way too much for my liking. Should make for a good competition to see who backs up Boyd.
    I thought Riggs look very good last year too. He's got the pedigree for sure. I'm wondering if they might be thinking of converting the Kackster to slot a la Durie. Do you want your back-up to have a similar running style to the starter (Riggs), or is it better to have backup with a completely different style? Kackert was a real change of pace when he went in last year, but it would seem the line would have to make some big adjustments in their assignments for him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I thought Riggs look very good last year too. He's got the pedigree for sure. I'm wondering if they might be thinking of converting the Kackster to slot a la Durie. Do you want your back-up to have a similar running style to the starter (Riggs), or is it better to have backup with a completely different style? Kackert was a real change of pace when he went in last year, but it would seem the line would have to make some big adjustments in their assignments for him.
    I don't think the style of runner is as important as keeping the better player. IMO, Riggs is a better player, but Kackert is a few years younger. If only he didn't fumble as much as he does, then Kackert would be a no brainer. Don't see Kackert being converted to slot, either.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    IF - the Argos were serious about more RB talent for TC competition and having some backs with a different style to starter Boyd (IMO a good idea to have a change of pace RB with a different style) - they could have drafted Seb Levesque from Laval (an explosive, big-gainer tailback - proven over & over again in CIS play); but i guess Barker and other CFL GMs haven't heard of the guy?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    If I had to guess, I'd say they all concluded he was (at best) an average prospect whose numbers were inflated thanks to a stacked team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say they all concluded he was (at best) an average prospect whose numbers were inflated thanks to a stacked team.

You're probably right; and those experts probably concluded the same thing about Quinlan; i'd wonder big-time just what they base these conclusions on - i doubt it is from actually watching some of these players actually play football - maybe they bombed in those so important interviews at the Combine - didn't say the right things? Just IMO of course.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    You're probably right; and those experts probably concluded the same thing about Quinlan; i'd wonder big-time just what they base these conclusions on - i doubt it is from actually watching some of these players actually play football - maybe they bombed in those so important interviews at the Combine - didn't say the right things? Just IMO of course.
    Lots of players on both sides of the border succeed at the college level which doesn't mean that they will be successful at the pro level. Scouting is all about trying to figure out which of the college phenoms will succeed at the next level and which won't and lots of good college players in both Canada and the U.S. will not get pro shots despite stellar college numbers.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Lots of players on both sides of the border succeed at the college level which doesn't mean that they will be successful at the pro level. Scouting is all about trying to figure out which of the college phenoms will succeed at the next level and which won't and lots of good college players in both Canada and the U.S. will not get pro shots despite stellar college numbers.

Agreed Ravi. Except that - with the NFL draft - i don`t think you see a top RB (amongst the best rushing numbers over several seasons and from a top program) totally ignored in the draft there - maybe if the guy is considered too small or too slow for NFL standards; Levesque is a 200 pound back, and while he didn`t participate in the 40 and some other tests at the CFL E-Camp, i`d hazard a guess he has some pretty decent speed from watching him play quite a few times in CIS ball = i believe he easily has CFL RB size and speed; but. perhaps he lacks some other intangibles or some other rationale was used for CFL personnel experts totally ignoring him in the recent draft. Same deal for some other top CIS players who were totally over-looked in the recent draft - guys like Hollohan or Van Praaet or Brescacin. And another thing - the CFL draft does not feature several hundred all-star players from all sorts of conferences like are available for NFL teams to choose from; so it`s not like Levesque was ingored because there were all sorts of great tailbacks to choose from and other top backs got picked.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    haha, awesome. Good work, Wobbler. Post of the Year candidate.