Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

New Argos Practice Facilities

According to Frank Z, the Argos will use a combination of 3 locations for their training facilities. The locker room will be the existing room at BMO field, the weight room and offices will be at Ricoh coliseum and they will practice at Lamport stadium. Not Perfect, but better than they ever had before. At least it is within walking distance...

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Marcus Ball feeling right home with Argos soon to move into new practice digs
    Frank Zicarelli The Toronto Sun May 30, 2018

When Marcus Ball joined the Argonauts in 2012, the environment was far from ideal, with the team practising in Mississauga and forced to use portables as a makeshift locker room.

Other than playing their home games in downtown Toronto, there was no connection with the city, its fans or corporate base.

That will soon change under MLSE’s ownership, with plans to finally provide the franchise with its long-overdue base and sporting complex to call home.

For players such as Ball, who either plan to, or currently reside in the downtown area, it means literally being able to walk or bike to work.

Once they return from a bye week following their home opener June 23 against Calgary in a Grey Cup rematch, the plan calls for the Argos to be housed at BMO, use adjoining Ricoh Coliseum where office space and a weight room will be set up, while practising at nearby Lamport Stadium, easily accessible by foot given its proximity to BMO.

Back in the days when the Argos used CNE Stadium as their home, players would walk or ride their bicycle to the baseball diamond near Dufferin St., a stone’s throw from where the Raptors practice facility now sits, for workouts.

For a quarter century, the Argos have been searching, scouring, at times begging, for an ideal setup that did not involve lengthy bus rides to a practice site that may or may not be available.

With MLSE on board and Bill Manning serving as Argos president, it was fully apparent his primary mandate was to fix a problem, or at least address it as best possible, that has lingered and compromised the club for seemingly forever.

Technically, the Argos won’t be under one roof, but the setup in and around BMO is as good as it could get.

There’s a GO Train for the likes of star quarterback Ricky Ray to tap into, which he plans on doing, a subway system that now connects Vaughan to downtown, buses, streetcars.

As anyone who lives in the city can attest, it’s not cheap, but CFL players often have two, sometimes three, roommates to save on expenses.

For players such as Cleyon Laing, who lives in Liberty Village, he can walk to work every day. Ball plans on moving into a unit this weekend near the CNE grounds.

“We’ve come a long way,” said Ball. “It’s been wonderful seeing how the organization has grown and become successful. We all know Rome wasn’t built in one day and there have been some trials and tribulations, but it feels good for the city to open up and appreciate us, for MLSE to take over.”

Image visibility has nowhere to go but up.

“Guys can now explore, integrate with people, see the many sights, experience what this beautiful city has to offer,” said Ball. “It’s fun, but it’s really exciting knowing we’ll be moving into BMO and everything. We’ve come full circle.”

This couldn’t have happened without MLSE’s purchase.

Manning also oversees TFC as its club president and no one knew better the delicate game that needed to be played to ensure no sporting nose was bent out of shape.

“I’ll be able to walk every day,” said Ball, who is hopeful this weekend’s closing date will be finalized, allowing his family to settle in Toronto. “My wife knows me and she knows I’ll get my mountain bike out and probably ride it to work.

“This is a unique and exciting opportunity for us to have BMO. It’s great.”

When they moved into Don Bosco High School last season, guys such as Tyler Holmes and Sean McEwen, both downtown condo dwellers and among the best offensive linemen in the CFL, rode the subway to Islington Station and then hopped a TTC bus to report for duty.

CFL players, for the most part, are average guys living normal lives that involve taking public transit.
    For far too long, it hasn’t been normal for the club, not knowing where to practise, not having a weight room or appropriate office space to hold meetings.

MLSE has changed that and kudos to Manning for making it happen.

Until the move is completely ironed out, the Argos will continue to practise at York University.

TYMS STILL SOUR OVER RELEASE

Bryan Tyms will be back at Tim’s for the first time since his release from Tiger Town last season, a departure that admittedly left a sour taste.

It is the pre-season, but for someone who needs to take advantage of every rep, Friday’s game at Tim Horton’s Field in Hamilton has a different feel for Tyms.

He is a receiver, a pretty good one when he’s completely in sync with the offence, and he did join the Argos midway through 2017 when the Ticats showed him the door, an exposure to the Marc Trestman system that has served Tyms well in camp.
    “Just the way I was released (by Hamilton), I didn’t have any respect for the league, period,” said Tyms, whose brother in law is Argos all-star slot S.J. Green. “Just off of what I witnessed there, the way I was treated, but coming over here and seeing that respect is what this team is all about. It’s been a blessing.”

Tyms has played in the NFL, been with various organizations, but it’s how the Argos go about their daily business tha’s given him a renewed sense of purpose.

“My passion for football came back,” said Tyms of his time as an Argo. “I’ve been cut numerous times and when you get cut, it’s never a hearty feeling.

“But I was pissed (when let go by Hamilton), I hated football. I didn’t even know if I would still want to do it (play) up here anymore. And then I came over here. It was tough at first because it was so different, it was discipline, everyone respects each other, no one uses curse words at each other, no one calls anyone the ‘N’ word, the ‘B’ word. We don’t disrespect anyone because we all hold each other accountable.”

The Argos have a need at receiver with Grey Cup MVP DeVier Posey signing with the NFL’s Baltimore Ravens. Tyms has had a solid camp and on Friday night, he’ll get a better handle on where he stands.

“I’m ready for this,” said Tyms. “If this game had happened a year ago, I would have done something stupid. I appreciate Trestman for that. I’m just ready to show them (the Ticats) what they left.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    All within walking distance, so not bad for now. I hope MLSE figures out a permanent solution for our Argos sooner rather than later.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Fran Z seems to provide the best information about the Argos on an ongoing basis. Perhaps, we should appreciate him a little more.

The three facility set up is a definite improvement on any recent situation the team has experienced. OK, a one facility arrangement would be ideal and a goal to be aimed for but this is definitely a very big (perhaps huge) move in the right direction. Manning has experienced some criticism recently but he deserves all the credit and praise for accomplishing this arrangement. Looking forward to Trestman's and Popp's comments on the new setup. Good to see the team, players and coaches being treated in a professional manner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Great to see the improvement in facilities over previous years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think it is a great solution for the Argos. Great locker room at BMO and practice and weight facilities within a short walking distance? It's a great step forward for the team. Only downside? I have a lot further to go to take in practice if I have a day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Fran Z seems to provide the best information about the Argos on an ongoing basis. Perhaps, we should appreciate him a little more.

When he stops referencing the CFL to the world of 3 down football in virtually every article he rights, I may just come around.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Great to see the improvement in facilities over previous years.
    This will be the best scenario they have had in decades!!
    Anyone know the condition of the turf at Lamport?

I still think an all in one facility is far off. Perhaps Lamport could be it. If MLSE partnered with the city, maybe take down one side of the stands and build proper offices, locker room, training and weight rooms etc. As part of that you could have offices for therapists and the like open year round to the public as well.
    Home base for the primary tenants the Argos. Revamp the other side of the stands and it’s still a shared use facility. Maybe a bubble over it for year round use.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    This will be the best scenario they have had in decades!!
    Anyone know the condition of the turf at Lamport?

I still think an all in one facility is far off. Perhaps Lamport could be it. If MLSE partnered with the city, maybe take down one side of the stands and build proper offices, locker room, training and weight rooms etc. As part of that you could have offices for therapists and the like open year round to the public as well.
    Home base for the primary tenants the Argos. Revamp the other side of the stands and it’s still a shared use facility. Maybe a bubble over it for year round use.
    From what I understand, the turf at Lamport is fairly new. If they can play rugby on it, as the wolfpack did, it can't be in bad shape.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I thought I read somewhere Lampert was getting new turf installed as we speak.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Lamport's turf had been replaced within the last month. Wolfpack play their first home game of the season next weekend (June 9th).

New Fan
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    The turf was just replaced, and my understanding talking to people who were asked to invest in the wolfpack, is that the team plans on investing some money, alongside the city, to substantially renovate the concourses. Wouldn't be surprised if there would be nice shared facilities there with the team in the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Great to hear! To me the basis of judgement on the new ownership group will be on how well the Argos are set from a day to day perspective. I am happy to see that progress is being made.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Argos football operations staff department be relocating to BMO field next month.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    https://www.tsn.ca/argonauts-to-relo...taff-1.1100509

Nothing overly new here, but still a good read for those interested in the new facilities.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Looks like we're still having issues finding a permanent place to practice:

"NO END IN SIGHT

The arrival of Caribana can only mean one thing if you happen to be an Argo.

First it was the Honda Indy that forced some deft manoeuvring when plotting a route to Lamport Stadium.

And now it’s Caribana that has forced the beleaguered team to find a practice site.

On Sunday, the Argos used Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke, one of the most under appreciated venues in the GTA.

On Monday, the team moved a little bit east to Michael Power, the Catholic high school which will serve as the Argos’ practice site on Tuesday, the team’s final full practice prior to Thursday’s home game versus Winnipeg.

Once the Argos return from their bye week, they’ll have to deal with the opening of the CNE.

In other words, there is no end to the challenges this team faces."

https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...-winless-argos

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It just doesn't seem fair...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Here's a suggestion: practise at BMO Field, home of the Toronto Argonauts!!!!

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Here's a suggestion: practise at BMO Field, home of the Toronto Argonauts!!!!
    I admire your persistence and resolve.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:

Level
    It is my understanding, TFC occasionally practice at BMO. Therefore, why not let Argos practice on these dates or is this another case that both teams are equal but Argos less so.

If I'm incorrect on my understanding re TFC occasionally practicing at BMO, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    As someone who lives in the area, the field at centennial and michael power (brand new field turf) are likely superior to lamport.
    Back in the rocket ismail years they practiced at burnhamthorpe collegiate, so the Argos havent had a true facility in ages.
    Maybe there is something about the west end, even bosco is in etobicoke. And for years we had erindale.
    None of these were ideal obviously, but i would guess there is some reason team keeps choosing etobicoke/sauga, and didnt really consider downsview.
    BMO is rarely practiced on by tfc, just special fan events or gameday walk throughs. Usually they are at downsview.