Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

CFL Aiming For Younger Crowd

Conscious of its aging fanbase, the CFL and TSN are trying to attract younger fans. For an old geezer like me, I prefer the more traditional approach of previous seasons, but if this helps pull in younger fans, I'm satisfied.

The installation of the 34-year-old Kate Beirness as host for all 11 Thursday games represents just one step toward younger and hipper. TSN also announced a Thursday night concert series, one for each of the nine venues, aimed at younger fans. ...

“What it really means is the 30-minute pre-game show prior to kickoff on Thursday will be catered a little more to a different audience,” said TSN vice-president and executive producer Paul Graham.
    The show will feature popular segments from Kate McKenna and Derek Taylor, as well as CFL broadcaster Brodie Lawson, who will “capture more of the atmosphere in the stadium,” according to Graham. “It really is a bit of a shift in our thinking where we’re not 100 per cent dialled into the football game,” he said. “We’re leaving a few doors open to go down some different paths.” ...

“So what we’ve done, in partnership with TSN, is really worked on enhancing those game days and making that one of the places to be this year,” said Christina Litz, the CFL’s chief marketing, digital and strategy officer. “And TSN is definitely changing the look and feel of the broadcast that night. Teams are really excited with the potential of this.”
    http://vancouversun.com/sports/footb...4-cb6823ce52f5

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    They are trying hard this year. All teams are bringing in entertainers for the young crowd for their home opener.
    The Argos are hoping that the Rapper Cardinal Offishal at the Shipyards plus $5 beers, $19 tickets, a summer Saturday night, a Grey Cup re-match, should bring in a large crowd.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    As someone who has made a lifetime study (and former career) of media and television, I have to say, that was the greatest shot and directed CFL game I've ever seen. I was going to say excepting a Grey Cup but the Cup would have had more resources thrown into it.

Fantastic look, quick cuts, tighter framed shots, I've been looking for them to do that for ages. The CFL came back from the dead because TSN threw some TLC their way when nobody had; and then they rested on their laurels and did nothing but a staid, static broadcast for years. This was like manna from heaven for someone like me. I'm not trying to overstate this, if you know the biz, this was good.

Two things I have a little issue with, describing Davis Sanchez and The Baroness as appealing to the younger audience is a bit much. They would be too old for the real target audience, especially Sanchez. But I'm a hundred years older than the intended audience and i loved it! (the broadcast not Sanchez)

Just to be picky, describing things as "hipper" and its dated soul brother "edgy" is like using hearkening back to the 90's

TSN can't drop the ball and go back to what they used to do next Thursday night, they have to commit to this. If they do, they will be rewarded.

I realize others weren't watching for what I was concentrating on but I am curious to find out what others thought about TNF's new look. IMO that broadcast more than lived up to the billing, shame about the weather though.

Siskel and Ebert - TWO THUMBS UP!
    Last edited by rdavies; 06-15-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Good move by TSN to see the future and finally making their APP available to everyone not just to cable/satellite subscribers. Most millennials watch their programming on tablets/IPhones/laptops not on cable/satellite TV.
    One in four anglophone Canadians have cut the cord and no longer pay for a traditional TV service

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/tv...flix-1.4600455

By time the TSN CFL contract comes up for renewal in 2022 their will be far fewer cable/satellite subscribers