Hybrid View

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    Rights holder TSN posted a 12 per cent increase in their Week 1 viewership numbers over 2017, despite the fact the season has been moved up by a week. The 2018 campaign kicked off on June 14 while last year’s regular season began on June 22.

The most-watched game of the week was Friday’s contest between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the Toronto Argonauts at Mosaic Stadium in Regina with an average audience of 660,500 English-language viewers. That was followed closely by the Calgary Stampeders’ game with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, which drew 651,700 on Saturday.
    When I saw those numbers last week, I was surprised. I was not expecting them to be that good so early in the season. And coinciding with that, with the amount of cord cutting going on, those numbers were very encouraging.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutie View Post
    But TFC fans are mainly the young millenials that don't watch a lot of sport on TV, they are streaming on their Iphones and Laptops. The future of sports is "streaming" not TV
    You say that at every website and offer no proof. The percentage number of smartphones in use between millennial and Gen Xers (up to 53 years old) is relatively close. So if each has the ability to use a smartphone, then why cant GenXers and Baby Boomers use one to access content. I call shenanigans on the BS that millennials are the only group we keep hearing are capable of that.

I must be the world`s oldest millennial because I haven`t had cable for most of my life and at my advanced age have figured how to stream since it became possible to do so. BTW I highly recommend Kodi.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    MLS does not get great TV ratings (yet), but international soccer is firmly entrenched on Canadian TV, and the interest is only going to grow IMO. We get tons of English Premier League games and virtually every Champions League game on TSN and/or Sportsnet, not to mention World Cup, Euro etc. I see growing interest in this stuff among younger people in particular. Eventually some of that interest will extend to MLS, which is arguably higher than the 10th-best league in the world. Its schedule is a problem that can never be solved (being unable to play in winter), but it is growing in international stature and has a number of very successful revenue-generating franchises.
    MLS isn't even the best soccer league in North America, Liga MX is. It's been ten years of MLS/TFC and ratings have actually gotten worse since they debuted on CBC. When there were comparative sports ratings from a few years ago they couldn't even crack the top 20 list (100k). When MLS did crack that, the Caps always out-rated TFC. They averaged a low of 38k before the championship season to the point their TV contract was in jeopardy. During the championship season they went to a whopping 98k season average (across Canada) If the CFL had that the death watch would be in full bloom.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    MLS isn't even the best soccer league in North America, Liga MX is. It's been ten years of MLS/TFC and ratings have actually gotten worse since they debuted on CBC. When there were comparative sports ratings from a few years ago they couldn't even crack the top 20 list (100k). When MLS did crack that, the Caps always out-rated TFC. They averaged a low of 38k before the championship season to the point their TV contract was in jeopardy. During the championship season they went to a whopping 98k season average (across Canada) If the CFL had that the death watch would be in full bloom.
    So you agreed with the first eight words of my post, and ignored the rest. OK.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    So you agreed with the first eight words of my post, and ignored the rest. OK.
    What would you like me to say? You want me to prove/disprove something? If there was anything worth responding to there I would have. Sorry if I didn't hold your post worthy of being on stone tablets.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    What would you like me to say? You want me to prove/disprove something? If there was anything worth responding to there I would have. Sorry if I didn't hold your post worthy of being on stone tablets.
    Hey, if you aren't prepared to respond to points rebutting your post, that's your call.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    It was only a few years ago at his final state of the league address that Commish Cohon stated that half of the number of people watching games involving the Argos were from Ontario. At that time let's say the average game rated 650k, then at least 325k were from Ontario. Maybe that's dropped. maybe it hasn't. Needless to say whoever you believe and without seeing a rating book I don't know who to believe, although Cohon stated it in the form of a challenge to other sports (aside from hockey) that the CFL rated better. I don't think he was lying.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    If this thread is to continue, it needs to get back on topic. Right about now.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    If this thread is to continue, it needs to get back on topic. Right about now.
    Seriously, what is your problem with constantly closing threads? I can only get the sinister impression that you feel if the discussion doesn't go to your liking factually you want to close it. That makes me more paranoid than I already am.

This is contained in one thread topic, it's not "infecting" the whole board. I don't want to speak for Paul Woods but I suspect he wouldn't want discussion to stop and the thread to be closed either. So what, we got a little snarky for a minute, are people here so weak minded they have to be protected by closing a thread or is something else at work here?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    That makes me more paranoid than I already am.
    LMAO
    At least you admit it.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    At least you admit it.
    I'm not a save the troll crusader like yourself, bad enough the media kicks you in the nuts but you allow it from within as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Funny how you defend that here but they wouldn't allow me to get past one post at their site. I haven't even tried, but others more agreeable than me got banned their after a handful of posts.
    I'm not a save the troll crusader like yourself, bad enough the media kicks you in the nuts but you allow it from within as well.
    LOL
    If you only knew.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Well, that's enough of that then.