Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The point I was trying to make was that we should have a back who can fill in for Wilder every now and then. That means a back who can run Wilder's plays, mostly inside runs and pass blocking. Martese can't do those things, but Burks is a bigger guy and he definitely can. Except they hardly used him at all, so I was wondering out loud if there was anyone else who could fill the bill. I know Coombs can but he's not here, sadly.
    Personally, I would not take Wilder out of the line-up for Burks unless he was injured. IMO, a better back-up is a change of pace back similar to what Jackson is. I have no problem the way they used Burks, because at the very least, he is dressed and able to go in in case of injury to Wilder, but Wilder should play every down.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't mind giving Wilder the odd breather, especially if he carries a heavy load early in a game. For all we know that might have been the plan last game, but for various reasons he didn't start seeing the ball regularly until the fourth quarter. Dressing three TBs does not strike me as necessary or the best use of resources, although I will contradict myself by saying I would love to see Burks get some touches. As for returning kickoffs, I think Noel or Edwards could be the second guy back there. Jackson fields most of the kicks and the other guy has to do some blocking, but I don't feel it's necessary for both returners to be backups on offence or defence.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't mind giving Wilder the odd breather, especially if he carries a heavy load early in a game. For all we know that might have been the plan last game, but for various reasons he didn't start seeing the ball regularly until the fourth quarter. Dressing three TBs does not strike me as necessary or the best use of resources, although I will contradict myself by saying I would love to see Burks get some touches. As for returning kickoffs, I think Noel or Edwards could be the second guy back there. Jackson fields most of the kicks and the other guy has to do some blocking, but I don't feel it's necessary for both returners to be backups on offence or defence.
    I guess we see it differently in regards to giving Wilder a breather. I think he's got no problem being an every play back. Personally, I would have preferred to see Dowling dress, rather than Burks. At the very least, you can take Noel off of kick coverage team and replace him with Dowling.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Personally, I would not take Wilder out of the line-up for Burks unless he was injured. IMO, a better back-up is a change of pace back similar to what Jackson is. I have no problem the way they used Burks, because at the very least, he is dressed and able to go in in case of injury to Wilder, but Wilder should play every down.
    Wilder seems to get stronger the more he carries the ball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I have noticed the same trend, both last year and in last Saturday's game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Wilder has been named a CFL Top Performer of the Week for this game. No surprise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    This is true of most great backs, but the reality is that the full-time feature back is going the way of the dodo in pro football. I think it has mostly to do with the increased emphasis on player safety these days. The trend has taken a little longer to catch on up here with our limited rosters, but I count at least 3 CFL teams this year distributing their running plays among two or more backs on a semi-regular basis. Why would we ever want to take a great back like Wilder out of a game? To keep him healthier, longer.