Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Famous Ex-NFLers that found their way to the Argos...

I don't generally start many threads on here... but I thought that this one might create a bit of fun.

I'll start things off with one... former Dallas Cowboy "Mad Bomber"... QB Clint Longley.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I have a number 12 game-worn jersey from 1977 or 1978 that might have been worn by Clint Longley.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Your namesake is an obvious one.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Hey... you're right. Hahaha!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Andre Rison and Ricky Williams are probably 2 of the most famous (& accomplished) NFL players to end up suiting up for the Argos.

Argo first and then on to good NFL players ... Joe Theissman, Eric Harris, Bruce Clark, Rocket Ismail - as some prominent examples.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Canadian Tommy Kane was another NFL player who also played for the Argos. He had a couple of good years with the Seattle Seahawks before ankle and knee injuries limited his skills. He then played five games with the Argos in 1994, before becoming famous for another reason - being convicted of manslaughter in the stabbing death of his estranged wife.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Kane

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Andre Rison and Ricky Williams are probably 2 of the most famous (& accomplished) NFL players to end up suiting up for the Argos.

Argo first and then on to good NFL players ... Joe Theissman, Eric Harris, Bruce Clark, Rocket Ismail - as some prominent examples.
    Don't forget about Noah Jackson, OV.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Doug Flutie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Andre Rison !!!! a bust, as usual with so many of them

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Mike Wilson had a very solid career with Cincinnati after initially playing for Toronto. He was half of the so-called Georgia Connection, along with Joel Parrish -- two big 0-linemen Leo recruited in his second go-round as head coach. Parrish didn't do much and went on to a drug bust, IIRC. Another who went on to the NFL was slotback M.L. Harris, also with Cincinnati. And long snapper JP Darche had a very long NFL career after one season in Toronto.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    There are certainly more cases of guys that started out here... and then went on to play in the NFL.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Terry Metcalf. Maybe many of you on this board can't remember him.

IMHO... that might have been the biggest ever signing by the Argonauts (Rocket Ismail notwithstanding). Metcalf was an NFL free agent... coming off setting a league record for total yards gained running, receiving and returning kicks. The Argos jumped in and brought him north... much to the surprise of everyone in the NFL.

The fact that the Argos were capable of stealing players (mostly draft choices) from the NFL during the late Sixties and throughout the Seventies really marked the golden age of football in Toronto (in terms of popularity - we never really won anything). It made the team (and the CFL) seem "Big League"... Torontonians seem to need that. Then the Blue Jays came to town... the CFL adopted a salary cap... and NFL salaries grew to the point where our teams couldn't even compete for their Practice Roster players... I guess that we're still trying to overcome a minor league image held by many in this town toward Canadian football.

Sometimes I wonder if the CFL could do what MLS does... permit 2 or 3 designated players not to count against the salary cap. Current ownership can certainly afford to play that game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Willie Wood is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame who played safety for the Green Bay Packers from 1960 to 1971 after going undrafted. He later became the first Black HC in pro football in the modern era with the Philadelphia Bell of the World Football League (WFL) and the first Black HC in the CFL with the Toronto Argos in 1981.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    There are certainly more cases of guys that started out here... and then went on to play in the NFL.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Terry Metcalf. Maybe many of you on this board can't remember him.

IMHO... that might have been the biggest ever signing by the Argonauts (Rocket Ismail notwithstanding). Metcalf was an NFL free agent... coming off setting a league record for total yards gained running, receiving and returning kicks. The Argos jumped in and brought him north... much to the surprise of everyone in the NFL.

The fact that the Argos were capable of stealing players (mostly draft choices) from the NFL during the late Sixties and throughout the Seventies really marked the golden age of football in Toronto (in terms of popularity - we never really won anything). It made the team (and the CFL) seem "Big League"... Torontonians seem to need that. Then the Blue Jays came to town... the CFL adopted a salary cap... and NFL salaries grew to the point where our teams couldn't even compete for their Practice Roster players... I guess that we're still trying to overcome a minor league image held by many in this town toward Canadian football.

Sometimes I wonder if the CFL could do what MLS does... permit 2 or 3 designated players not to count against the salary cap. Current ownership can certainly afford to play that game.

You're right about Metcalf - probably the biggest name NFL star the Argos ever managed to drag up here - I was amazed back in the day to see an NFL star in his prime come to the CFL (money in the 2 leagues was a lot closer back then), and Terry played hard and with skill on those pretty lousy Argo teams. The Rocket was a big college ball star when the Argos got him, but unproven in the pros/ no NFL experience.

Rick Razzano was an Argo linebacker who went on the the Bengals (and i think started in a SB game for them, along with another ex-Argo Mike Wilson (O-line * edit* - Razzano, Wilson and ML Harris were 3 former Argos who played in that Bengals 81 season SB game - coached by Forrest Gump Gregg). Earl Wilson was a very good D-linemen for the Argos for a few seasons (including the historic 83 drought killing win) - who went on to a couple of good seasons for the Chargers in the NFL.

Hank Illeisc punted for both the Argos and the NFL Chargers in the same season (89) ! My memory is not so good - Ravi or Paul - what happened there? - Hank got cut by the Argos cause they didn't like him or did they just let him out to go the NFL ?
    Last edited by OV Argo; 07-08-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    You're right about Metcalf - probably the biggest name NFL star the Argos ever managed to drag up here - I was amazed back in the day to see an NFL star in his prime come to the CFL (money in the 2 leagues was a lot closer back then), and Terry played hard and with skill on those pretty lousy Argo teams. The Rocket was a big college ball star when the Argos got him, but unproven in the pros/ no NFL experience.

Rick Razzano was an Argo linebacker who went on the the Bengals (and i think started in a SB game for them, along with another ex-Argo Mike Wilson (O-line * edit* - Razzano, Wilson and ML Harris were 3 former Argos who played in that Bengals 81 season SB game - coached by Forrest Gump Gregg). Earl Wilson was a very good D-linemen for the Argos for a few seasons (including the historic 83 drought killing win) - who went on to a couple of good seasons for the Chargers in the NFL.

Hank Illeisc punted for both the Argos and the NFL Chargers in the same season (89) ! My memory is not so good - Ravi or Paul - what happened there? - Hank got cut by the Argos cause they didn't like him or did they just let him out to go the NFL ?
    My memory is that the Argos let Ilesic go during the 1989 CFL season to sign with the Chargers. He ended up returning to Toronto midway through the 1990 season IIRC. Glenn Harper was the punter whom Ilesic replaced in 1990.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    For younger fans with whom Terry Metcalf does not ring a bell, he was a triple threat who set a NFL then record of 2,457 combined yards in 1975 with the St. Louis Cardinals and played for the Argos from 1978 to 1980.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    My memory is that the Argos let Ilesic go during the 1989 CFL season to sign with the Chargers. He ended up returning to Toronto midway through the 1990 season IIRC. Glenn Harper was the punter whom Ilesic replaced in 1990.
    That is essentially correct -- he was released in September 1989 to go to the NFL, and was re-signed in October 1990. He played 13 games for the Chargers in 1989, was released and signed with the Rams, who released him in 1990 preseason. I believe Ilesic probably could have had a long NFL career but he chose to stay in Canada. There's great footage in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbaaa4JSYwY

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    For younger fans with whom Terry Metcalf does not ring a bell, he was a triple threat who set a NFL then record of 2,457 combined yards in 1975 with the St. Louis Cardinals and played for the Argos from 1978 to 1980.
    Metcalf's signing in 1978 was incredibly exciting to Argo fans. Back when it was hard to find decent replica jerseys for any team in any sport, there were a lot of Argo 21 jerseys in circulation (I still have two of them). Metcalf gave his all for some very lousy Argo teams. He had a spectacular debut game in 1978 but then fell victim to bad o-lines and bad offensive schemes. He has admitted turning to drugs after his career ended. I've heard rumours he was already going in a bad direction by the end of the 1980 season, and the organization felt it had no choice but to usher him out the door. He and Cedric Minter (who had idolized him) actually crossed paths briefly on the day when Minter arrived in Toronto in the spring of 1981. Fortunately Metcalf eventually rehabbed and got his life back together.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Metcalf's signing in 1978 was incredibly exciting to Argo fans. Back when it was hard to find decent replica jerseys for any team in any sport, there were a lot of Argo 21 jerseys in circulation (I still have two of them). Metcalf gave his all for some very lousy Argo teams. He had a spectacular debut game in 1978 but then fell victim to bad o-lines and bad offensive schemes. He has admitted turning to drugs after his career ended. I've heard rumours he was already going in a bad direction by the end of the 1980 season, and the organization felt it had no choice but to usher him out the door. He and Cedric Minter (who had idolized him) actually crossed paths briefly on the day when Minter arrived in Toronto in the spring of 1981. Fortunately Metcalf eventually rehabbed and got his life back together.
    Metcalf was one of the first players I idolized as a kid, and was unfairly labeled a bust. As you said, the team and coaching around him was brutal.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    That Terry Metcalfe jersey in the Simpson Sears catalogue is the reason I became an Argo fan. Got it for my birthday during one of my 8th grade years. Just fell in love with the Oxford Blue and White stripes on the sleeves.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Just thought of another ex-NFL quarterback that played up here in the late seventies. Tony Adams was a 3 year starter for the Utah State Aggies and was selected in the 1973 NFL draft. He chose to sign with the fledgling World Football League (Southern California Sun) instead... as was named one of the new league's co-MVPs in 1974. Following his rookie season, Adams signed with the Kansas City Chiefs and remained on their roster as a sometime starter for 4 seasons. In 1979, he joined the Argos amid some fanfare... and played pretty well during his first season in Canada. Season two didn't go nearly as well... and he returned to the NFL to complete his professional career in 1981.