Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argos1983 View Post
    Another 50% off of tickets promo being sent to me --- good thing I bought ST that cost me more exponentially more than that......no worries I will be sure not to buy ST again next year and pay far less on a game by game basis for my lack of up front "loyalty".....
    Do what you have to do. I would never take offence to anyone doing what the have to do to save money. Just tired of the constant bellyaching about such things.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Skydome a better venue ? SMH
    I know.
    Total load of BS, BMO is light years ahead of Skydome for watching a CFL game.
    Better sightlines, all the benefits of being outdoor while protected from the rain, grass field, loud, etc etc etc.
    Some people never happy I guess?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I know.
    Total load of BS, BMO is light years ahead of Skydome for watching a CFL game.
    Better sightlines, all the benefits of being outdoor while protected from the rain, grass field, loud, etc etc etc.
    Some people never happy I guess?
    yeah 'light years' ahead so much so that they can barely get 10k full price paying fans to a game
    endzone are 3 yd too short and 1 endzone is a completely different and slippery surface
    oye vey

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by macspectrum View Post
    thanks for the info

now that argos are partially owned by rogers - can bluejays somehow play nice w/ argos ? in today's age when do potential baseball playoffs [including wild card game] start and when is last ws game ? -
    all of october ?
    can argo schedule be such as to have 1 bye week and then play only away games for october ??
    certainly i dont want to see argos play home games in ft mcmurray
    i still believe skydome was much more a 'destination venue' w/ great restaurants on the doorstep
    as oppose to bmo field with illegal endzones and 1 endzone with a different surface and i still cannot believe ambroise said ok to this nonsense
    i guess this is waht u get from a corporate lackey
    wally buono would have made for a much better commish, he would kiss so much corporate a$$
    buono has exp as a player, coach and mgr - he should have been rewarded
    It wouldn't be the Jays that would have to play nice. The baseball playoff schedule is determined by MLB, more specifically the US networks. The Argos would be in a similar position in getting games rescheduled. Very different landscap from the 90s.

Then again, why would the other parts of MLSE want the Argos outside of BMO. Despite lackluster to ticket sales, the Argos revenue wise are in a much better place in BMO than being a Tennant in the dome even with Rogers partial stake.

I agree the turf inconsistency shouldn't be happening for a professional team today. I wouldn't put this on Ambroise, he wasn't commissioner when the arrangements were made. The CFL had no leverage.

There is a solution with the field, but it would make allot of people grumpy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    and some cities did indeed have shared facility - what was done ?
    What was done?
    The football and baseball teams realized that sharing the facility was far from ideal and built their own stadiums.

I can't believe any football fan really wants to go back to Rogers Centre.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PullTogether73 View Post
    What was done?
    The football and baseball teams realized that sharing the facility was far from ideal and built their own stadiums.

Check macs signature (bottom of his posts); supposedly not a fan anymore.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PullTogether73 View Post
    What was done?

Agreed. BMO Field is a better facility to watch a football game in by just about every measure. The endzone turf issue will be worked out, somehow - the league has said it is not acceptable. The problem with BMO, as stated, is that fewer fans are going there for games than went to the Dome, no matter how you want to count the attendance. I think we can ALL agree that this is a BIG problem.

MLSE says it has a 10 year plan to rebuild the brand and fan base by bringing in new, younger fans. Let's trust that they know what they are doing - they are pretty good at it (filling arenas, that is - not necessarily winning, which is a whole other story). Patience is a good thing...

But what about right now? This year or next? How can we get the existing fan base, the ones who went to games before (Ex, Dome, wherever) but currently choose to watch from home, to come to BMO field even for a game or two? If even 5 percent of the 100 thousand or so viewers Argo games get on TSN came down, attendance would rise by 5 thousand people a game.

So, Argofans, give me 2 ideas (or more) to get the EXISTING fans back. Not new fans! The ones of a certain age, who have maybe forgotten the fun of a live game, are embarrassed to support CFL in Toronto, or whatever.

No negativity please! Let's put our collective heads together - we all love the team and want the stadium full.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Agreed. BMO Field is a better facility to watch a football game in by just about every measure. The endzone turf issue will be worked out, somehow - the league has said it is not acceptable. The problem with BMO, as stated, is that fewer fans are going there for games than went to the Dome, no matter how you want to count the attendance. I think we can ALL agree that this is a BIG problem.

MLSE says it has a 10 year plan to rebuild the brand and fan base by bringing in new, younger fans. Let's trust that they know what they are doing - they are pretty good at it (filling arenas, that is - not necessarily winning, which is a whole other story). Patience is a good thing...

But what about right now? This year or next? How can we get the existing fan base, the ones who went to games before (Ex, Dome, wherever) but currently choose to watch from home, to come to BMO field even for a game or two? If even 5 percent of the 100 thousand or so viewers Argo games get on TSN came down, attendance would rise by 5 thousand people a game.

So, Argofans, give me 2 ideas (or more) to get the EXISTING fans back. Not new fans! The ones of a certain age, who have maybe forgotten the fun of a live game, are embarrassed to support CFL in Toronto, or whatever.

No negativity please! Let's put our collective heads together - we all love the team and want the stadium full.
    I'm far more concerned about MLSE bringing in new fans then bringing back the old fans. Lots MLSE has to do for that to happen; I made a list a couple of years ago now that could probably be tweaked with MLSE owning the team.
    Big things for me are ensuring that BMO feels like the Argos home - having more permanent Argos signage etc throughout the stadium. I also think the EX should have Argo flags all over the place. Marketing would be another thing, and using MLSE resources along with the other teams for more Argos exposure. And, more time and money has to be put into growing youth football in the GTA - it's dying.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Okay, here's my 2 cents..I'm repeating from what I posted the other day in another thread but here goes...

1) The Argos were last truly big in this city back in 1982 and '83. Let's celebrate that by having half time shows (on TV or not - doesn't matter) featuring Canadian bands that were big in that era and are still around. Think Kim Mitchell, Rik Emmett, Goddo, Coney Hatch...you get the idea) In my high school all of these bands AND the Argos were huge at this time. Maybe that gets more people in. Cater a bit to the existing fan base.
    2) Keep the gimmicks (Kiss-Cam, Credit Card Contest, Wacky Videos) to a minimum, and for the TV timeouts only. For example, when there is a play being challenged, show us the replays - every angle. Have the emphasis on the football game, not following some script where the second the whistle blows the audience is overwhelmed by the next 'crazy event'. Last game, the officials had to wait for Sponge Bob before they could announce the result of a challenge. Eventually the ref gave up and just plowed on.
    3)Have more game info (stats, etc) on the video board.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I'm far more concerned about MLSE bringing in new fans then bringing back the old fans. Lots MLSE has to do for that to happen; I made a list a couple of years ago now that could probably be tweaked with MLSE owning the team.
    Big things for me are ensuring that BMO feels like the Argos home - having more permanent Argos signage etc throughout the stadium. I also think the EX should have Argo flags all over the place. Marketing would be another thing, and using MLSE resources along with the other teams for more Argos exposure. And, more time and money has to be put into growing youth football in the GTA - it's dying.
    Risk of concussions may be the biggest roadblock in rejuvenating participation in youth football.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Okay, here's my 2 cents..I'm repeating from what I posted the other day in another thread but here goes...

1) The Argos were last truly big in this city back in 1982 and '83. Let's celebrate that by having half time shows (on TV or not - doesn't matter) featuring Canadian bands that were big in that era and are still around. Think Kim Mitchell, Rik Emmett, Goddo, Coney Hatch...you get the idea) In my high school all of these bands AND the Argos were huge at this time. Maybe that gets more people in. Cater a bit to the existing fan base.
    2) Keep the gimmicks (Kiss-Cam, Credit Card Contest, Wacky Videos) to a minimum, and for the TV timeouts only. For example, when there is a play being challenged, show us the replays - every angle. Have the emphasis on the football game, not following some script where the second the whistle blows the audience is overwhelmed by the next 'crazy event'. Last game, the officials had to wait for Sponge Bob before they could announce the result of a challenge. Eventually the ref gave up and just plowed on.
    3)Have more game info (stats, etc) on the video board.
    I’m old school and miss the days of Fred Locking announcing the play results in the old stadium.
    The game was the attraction and in itself created the atmosphere, you could carry on a conversation without booming noise and all of the other crap they offer these days.
    Realizing those days are gone the in game “stuff” seems a little forced and artificial to me.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I’m old school and miss the days of Fred Locking announcing the play results in the old stadium.
    The game was the attraction and in itself created the atmosphere, you could carry on a conversation without booming noise and all of the other crap they offer these days.
    Realizing those days are gone the in game “stuff” seems a little forced and artificial to me.
    I'm not usually sentimental, but I have to admit that it was great to hear Fred Locking's voice when the Argos paid tribute to the 1983 Grey Cup championship team a few years ago.
    Introducing Condredge Holloway as "The Artful Dodger" sure took me back.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just because the Dome had more bums in seats (even though we know why), doesn’t make it a better venue.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Just because the Dome had more bums in seats (even though we know why), doesn’t make it a better venue.
    so less eyeballs is good w/ u - got it !
    u'd rather argos play in an illegal stadium

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    "So, Argofans, give me 2 ideas (or more) to get the EXISTING fans back. Not new fans! The ones of a certain age, who have maybe forgotten the fun of a live game, are embarrassed to support CFL in Toronto, or whatever."

1. as al davis said; "just win baby !"
    2. make the end zone legal depth and 1 end the same surface as paying field
    very very bush league and commish should have addressed it - instead he chose to ignore it like an ostrich - corporate lackey - shame on him
    ----
    for cfl, show all games on cbc for exposure
    i can watch nfl on ctv without a subscription
    cfl requires pd connection to rogers./bell

fans of a certain age are less likely to have a tv subscription which means less likely to see cfl games on tv [tsn required]
    and grew up watching free tv and probably grew up watching cfl on cbc
    [please no more ac/dc music, pretty please]

all pre season games should be free of charge - again exposure, or $2 for nose bleed seats, $ donated to charity
    season ticket holders attend pre-season games at no charge - if their seat is still empty at 1/2time, seat is up for grabs so fans can move to better seats- only for pre season games
    again, exposure
    that nose bleed seat guy may buy a better ticket for a season game
    Last edited by macspectrum; 07-31-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Joe B has posed an interesting question re attracting those who used to attend games but no longer do. He also made a couple of intriguing suggestions, so I'll add my thoughts:
    .As RJ correctly stated--when one walks into BMO for an Argo game, the fan should feel like an Argo home--permanent signage etc
    .Why not contact previous season holders and offer them real incentives to comedown to a game---a)come down to a game and receive tickets to a second game free b)a chance to win a luxury suite for friends and family I'm sure others could come up with even better suggestions

Look forward to suggestions from others.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Maybe a wet t-shirt contest will get more eyeballs. Doesn't mean its the way to go.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Maybe a wet t-shirt contest will get more eyeballs. Doesn't mean its the way to go.
    uh oh , u just gave the argos marketing a new idea .....lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Illegal stadium?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    "So, Argofans, give me 2 ideas (or more) to get the EXISTING fans back. Not new fans! The ones of a certain age, who have maybe forgotten the fun of a live game, are embarrassed to support CFL in Toronto, or whatever."

1. as al davis said; "just win baby !"
    2. make the end zone legal depth and 1 end the same surface as paying field
    very very bush league and commish should have addressed it - instead he chose to ignore it like an ostrich - corporate lackey - shame on him
    ----
    for cfl, show all games on cbc for exposure
    i can watch nfl on ctv without a subscription
    cfl requires pd connection to rogers./bell

fans of a certain age are less likely to have a tv subscription which means less likely to see cfl games on tv [tsn required]
    and grew up watching free tv and probably grew up watching cfl on cbc
    [please no more ac/dc music, pretty please]

all pre season games should be free of charge - again exposure, or $2 for nose bleed seats, $ donated to charity
    season ticket holders attend pre-season games at no charge - if their seat is still empty at 1/2time, seat is up for grabs so fans can move to better seats- only for pre season games
    again, exposure
    that nose bleed seat guy may buy a better ticket for a season game
    Winning helps but the Argonauts won grey cups in 2012 and 2017 and attendance went down afterwards. Attendance was also low during the Flutie years.

People aren't coming to or staying away from games because of the endzones. There was a different commissioner when the Argonauts moved into BMO Field.

Nobody watches CBC anymore and their streaming service is subpar.

You'll never get people to agree on what music should be played.

We didn't have a home preseason game in Toronto before and in previous seasons they did give additional free tickets to Season Ticket holders.