Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    In 1993, the Colorado Rockies used a removable East Stand with 11,000 seat capacity in order to temporarily accommodate MLB in a NFL stadium. Reading material on the stand, it appears that both teams shared a natural grass field as well. This structure was 13 stories high and cost $25 million. It worked. Adapting BMO Field would hardly be the Manhattan Project. However, they would need to commit to the task.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_High_Stadium
    https://www.denverpost.com/2010/08/1...ands-engineer/
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I was just looking for a stadium where they needed temporary seating and we’re dealing with natural grass. Denver seemed to be an overachiever in this regard.

Given that the city owns BMO Field and the current configuration is known to be unsafe, doesn’t it seem that the potential liability lies with the city? Doesn’t that follow that the city should be pursuing a solution. Any lawyers in this site?
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I was just looking for a stadium where they needed temporary seating and we’re dealing with natural grass. Denver seemed to be an overachiever in this regard.

Given that the city owns BMO Field and the current configuration is known to be unsafe, doesn’t it seem that the potential liability lies with the city? Doesn’t that follow that the city should be pursuing a solution. Any lawyers in this site?
    But is it "known to be unsafe" ?? no known injuries just a couple of slips. One offensive player who slipped down but the defenders didn't have a problem or the other receivers in the area. We have seen more players slipping down on field turf.
    It's a matter of getting used to the transition.

The second part of the title of this thread "and attendance problems" - ??? I think people have discussed it to death and the reasons.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by halifaxguy View Post
    But is it "known to be unsafe" ?? no known injuries just a couple of slips. One offensive player who slipped down but the defenders didn't have a problem or the other receivers in the area. We have seen more players slipping down on field turf.
    It's a matter of getting used to the transition.

The second part of the title of this thread "and attendance problems" - ??? I think people have discussed it to death and the reasons.
    It's pretty obvious that you have never played on both surfaces. As I mentioned earlier, cleat lengths on grass and turf are different. It is not a stretch to believe someone can do serious damage to an ankle or knee when you have the wrong cleats on turf. No it hasn't happened yet, but do we really have to wait for a possible career changer to admit it's a problem?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    If the problem has been identified publicly, then there is a liability problem. Deepest pockets for a litigant is/are obviously MLSE and/or City of Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Actually, Matthew's examples are not bad ones. I over looked than teams played on grass and dirt surfaces at the same time. The Raiders are the only ones left, it only happens until baseball season is over plus the Raiders will be in Vegas in a couple years as well so there is a solution coming.

Does NYCFC play partially on dirt at Yankees Stadium? Either way, the soccer team in planning on a new stadium which is not happening in Toronto anytime in the near or far future.

Not sure of any teams playing on grass and turf at the same time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Not sure of any teams playing on grass and turf at the same time.
    It's Memphis Maddogs all over again.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Adapting to challenging field conditions has always been part of the game. Football is a risky sport to play and field conditions sometimes make it riskier, but that's what you sign up for as a player. They didn't cancel the last Grey Cup on account of the icy field which could have caused more injury. It's all about which team adapts to the field conditions better, through better footwear and better play selection.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Adapting to challenging field conditions has always been part of the game. Football is a risky sport to play and field conditions sometimes make it riskier, but that's what you sign up for as a player. They didn't cancel the last Grey Cup on account of the icy field which could have caused more injury. It's all about which team adapts to the field conditions better, through better footwear and better play selection.
    Perfect solution to this issue?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes, but we don't control the weather. This is a man-made problem that can be fixed. It IS controllable and therefore should be. There is no excuse for the field to be that way two years in now. I agree with Dunigan.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Yes, but we don't control the weather. This is a man-made problem that can be fixed. It IS controllable and therefore should be. There is no excuse for the field to be that way two years in now. I agree with Dunigan.
    If there was a blindingly obvious solution available that wouldn't cost much or cause any collateral issues, I'd agree there's no excuse. But there is no obvious solution at hand, and anything they do is going to either have a sizeable cost attached or cause issues elsewhere. I'm confident this will get solved, but it's not going to happen overnight and it's not going to be simple.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    yes, I agree, the best solution !!

Banned
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    cfl sadly is simply dying in Canada's three biggest markets. Cant see it going on much longer, especially after TSN's contract ends in 2021 (only thing keeping the league afloat). Its not a coincidence as well that all three of those markets have MLS franchises now, sucking up even more oxygen in the sporting landscape during the summer/fall months. Their schedules are almost identical (cfl and mls).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruro View Post
    cfl sadly is simply dying in Canada's three biggest markets. Cant see it going on much longer, especially after TSN's contract ends in 2021 (only thing keeping the league afloat). Its not a coincidence as well that all three of those markets have MLS franchises now, sucking up even more oxygen in the sporting landscape during the summer/fall months. Their schedules are almost identical (cfl and mls).
    Well I guess I better enjoy the last 3 seasons! Seriously though, are you new to the CFL? We are light years ahead of where the league was in the late nineties (the last time deaths door was knocking).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Well I guess I better enjoy the last 3 seasons! Seriously though, are you new to the CFL? We are light years ahead of where the league was in the late nineties (the last time deaths door was knocking).
    I envision a TFC jersey on Bruro when he posted his dire prediction.☺

Banned
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    You can thank TSN for that. Without them CFL is even less relevant in the sporting landscape than the late 90s, if thats even possible

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    You can thank TSN for that. Without them CFL is even less relevant in the sporting landscape than the late 90s, if thats even possible
    i wholeheartedly agree !
    the TSN experiment has been a bust
    the C in CFL stands for Canadian, not corporate
    why is it that i can watch nfl games, including playoffs and superbowl on CTV [ota or part of a package] but i must pay to watch CFL ?
    i think CFL games should be broadcast by CBC [ota or part of a package]
    cbc is the peoples' broadcast network
    -------
    i still recall in years gone past when ctv and cbc SHARED [1/2 each] in the broadcast of the grey cup

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by macspectrum View Post
    i wholeheartedly agree !
    the TSN experiment has been a bust
    the C in CFL stands for Canadian, not corporate
    why is it that i can watch nfl games, including playoffs and superbowl on CTV [ota or part of a package] but i must pay to watch CFL ?
    i think CFL games should be broadcast by CBC [ota or part of a package]
    cbc is the peoples' broadcast network
    -------
    i still recall in years gone past when ctv and cbc SHARED [1/2 each] in the broadcast of the grey cup
    You can watch NFL games on CTV because they are simulcasting, they have no choice. If CTV didn't do that, then anyone would be able to watch the games on the American broadcasts on NBC/FOX etc with no Canadian ads etc.
    TSN was set up to broadcast nothing but sports, without the CFL and a few other sports there would be no need for it.
    It's the same with the Blue Jays you need to subscribe to Sportsnet to watch them, no CBC anymore.
    At one time you could watch the Jays or CFL football on CBC or CTV, times have changed.
    There is no going back. Sports has shifted to the specialty channels in this country.
    The future will be streaming, not everyone has cable or satellite or an antenna but EVERYONE has the internet

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Hyman Roth has been dying from the same heart attack for the last twenty years.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    The TV contract is worth $4 Million to each team, that's not a lot of money when you look at a team's revenue. You can look at the books of the public teams, Riders, Bombers and Esks and see that they all have similar revenues of around $37 Million. The teams have a lot of expense close to $36 million and the TV revenue helps but it's certainly not keeping the league afloat. The CFL is still a gate driven league and must rely on attendance for most of their revenue.

Who knows what will happen in 2021 with the TV contract, the league certainly can't hang their hopes on a potential rise in the TV contract especially with the amount of customers cutting the cord and more streaming. The TV revenue is such a small part of revenue now and the contract may be worth less in the future.
    Teams are making just as much in revenue from things like the luxury suites, club seats viewing patios with bars etc