Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by halifaxguy View Post
    Dirt end zone? I assume that the end zones right now have concrete to support the temp stands and for a base for the artificial turf. I don't think dirt on top of concrete would be a good surface.
    No doubt that there will be major renovations for the World Cup, 30k to 55k so I am sure that there will be some huge end zone stands going in there and they won't be sliding in and out. I predict the Argos won't be playing there in the summer of 2026
    IIRC Canada is only getting 10 games and those 10 games are being split between three Canadian cities. I don't think that the renovations will be that extensive.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Having been out of province I missed this discussion. As others, who have played on both surfaces, have correctly stated, the footwear needed for grass and turf is very different. The north end zone is a disgrace and games could be decided and injuries could occur as a result. If a soccer pitch had such a disgraceful area, the fans would justifiably scream bloody murder until the situation was changed. The Argos and the CFL deserve no less consideration.

The solution appears to be one of three things:
    .Engineer the moveable stands in such a way that the grass is not compromised. Engineer friends have suggested some possible approaches but I'm in no position the say if they would work or not and have no idea how much these engineering changes would cost.
    .Cover the whole field with top level turf, that resembles real grass in many ways.
    .Let soccer fans stand behind the goal if they wish but make the stands a permanent unmoveable fixture.

While we are on the topic of BMO and the Argos, perhaps this is the time to raise issues that have to be addressed if the Argos are to be treated equitably in this city owned stadium:
    .Permanent signage equal to the permanent signage of the other joint tenant (TFC)
    .Repaint half the seats blue, perhaps a giant blue maple leaf would work.

I have no intention of annoying TFC or their fans by these comments but if they are, then so be it. Rather I believe it is time for the Argos, their fans and the CFL to stop worrying about possible offense taken by the other joint tenant and start demanding that MLSE start treating the team and fans in a manner deserved by our long standing league and team. If MLSE, the team's owner, does not respect the team and fans highly enough to solve these issues, then how can they expect the media and casual fan to treat the team with respect

Also, why are posters who have the intention of only belittling and insulting the team and league allowed to spout their obviously biased views on this site. A couple of years ago, I posted, what I thought was a polite and diplomatic post on the TFC forum, where I was basically beseeched both Argo fans and TFC fans to be considerate of each other ----result was I was immediately and permanently banned

Boatman
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Do we know for sure the CFL didn't receive more for extending the contract? I never saw anything. Seemed to be all hush hush.
    The contract extension information was leaked by Terry Jones of the Edmonton Journal in a radio piece for CHED.Dave Naylor confirmed it a few days later.
    It was not a positive development for the CFL thus no major hoopla in announcing it.When MLSE purchased the Argos in January it was speculated that their
    were alternate reasons for buying a CFL team(Some greater deals amongst Bell and Rogers).The most likely scenario is Bell sub-licensing a package of CFL games
    to Sportsnet and Rogers in turn sub-licensing a package of NHL national games to Bell in 2019.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Shatto, I would return the seats to Little Tikes and order some new ones that are actually comfortable.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    The contract extension information was leaked by Terry Jones of the Edmonton Journal in a radio piece for CHED.Dave Naylor confirmed it a few days later.
    It was not a positive development for the CFL thus no major hoopla in announcing it.When MLSE purchased the Argos in January it was speculated that their
    were alternate reasons for buying a CFL team(Some greater deals amongst Bell and Rogers).The most likely scenario is Bell sub-licensing a package of CFL games
    to Sportsnet and Rogers in turn sub-licensing a package of NHL national games to Bell in 2019.
    CFL approval??

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    This presumed that Rogers and Bell (and other cable providers and networks) still exist in 2022. The pace of change in the media world is unprecedented and I would not bet on the landscape being anything like it is now.
    DAZN is beginning to hurt both Rogers/Bell right now with Amazon waiting in the wings.Sadly,The CFL BOG cannot see the big picture to take advantage of the situation.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    CFL approval??
    Explain?

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:

Level
    DAZN is beginning to hurt both Rogers/Bell right now with Amazon waiting in the wings.Sadly,The CFL BOG cannot see the big picture to take advantage of the situation.
    Right now they cannot, The CFL in the next agreement needs to hold back streaming rights in a separate deal. I would expect DAZN to make a big push for it in a couple years from now.

The next contract I would like to see them do the following:

- Sell a game of the week ( 18 Games plus playoffs and Grey Cup) package to a OTA provider such as CBC, CTV or Global
    - The reminder of the games to either TSN or Sportsnet( the most likely candidate)
    - Online rights package to either DAZN, Youtube or Amazon.

Will be interesting to see what happens

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruro View Post
    You can thank TSN for that. Without them CFL is even less relevant in the sporting landscape than the late 90s, if thats even possible
    i wholeheartedly agree !
    the TSN experiment has been a bust
    the C in CFL stands for Canadian, not corporate
    why is it that i can watch nfl games, including playoffs and superbowl on CTV [ota or part of a package] but i must pay to watch CFL ?
    i think CFL games should be broadcast by CBC [ota or part of a package]
    cbc is the peoples' broadcast network
    -------
    i still recall in years gone past when ctv and cbc SHARED [1/2 each] in the broadcast of the grey cup

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    This presumed that Rogers and Bell (and other cable providers and networks) still exist in 2022. The pace of change in the media world is unprecedented and I would not bet on the landscape being anything like it is now.
    Rogers and Bell are both about to launch IP TV services. Plus they still have many, many other lines of business.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Rogers and Bell are both about to launch IP TV services. Plus they still have many, many other lines of business.
    Yes, now in 2018. What the landscape will look like I. 2022 is impossible to predict, but I personally would not bet on big telcos still ruling the entertainment roost.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by macspectrum View Post
    i wholeheartedly agree !
    the TSN experiment has been a bust
    the C in CFL stands for Canadian, not corporate
    why is it that i can watch nfl games, including playoffs and superbowl on CTV [ota or part of a package] but i must pay to watch CFL ?
    i think CFL games should be broadcast by CBC [ota or part of a package]
    cbc is the peoples' broadcast network
    -------
    i still recall in years gone past when ctv and cbc SHARED [1/2 each] in the broadcast of the grey cup
    You can watch NFL games on CTV because they are simulcasting, they have no choice. If CTV didn't do that, then anyone would be able to watch the games on the American broadcasts on NBC/FOX etc with no Canadian ads etc.
    TSN was set up to broadcast nothing but sports, without the CFL and a few other sports there would be no need for it.
    It's the same with the Blue Jays you need to subscribe to Sportsnet to watch them, no CBC anymore.
    At one time you could watch the Jays or CFL football on CBC or CTV, times have changed.
    There is no going back. Sports has shifted to the specialty channels in this country.
    The future will be streaming, not everyone has cable or satellite or an antenna but EVERYONE has the internet

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    You can watch NFL games on CTV because they are simulcasting, they have no choice. If CTV didn't do that, then anyone would be able to watch the games on the American broadcasts on NBC/FOX etc with no Canadian ads etc.
    TSN was set up to broadcast nothing but sports, without the CFL and a few other sports there would be no need for it.
    It's the same with the Blue Jays you need to subscribe to Sportsnet to watch them, no CBC anymore.
    At one time you could watch the Jays or CFL football on CBC or CTV, times have changed.
    There is no going back. Sports has shifted to the specialty channels in this country.
    The future will be streaming, not everyone has cable or satellite or an antenna but EVERYONE has the internet
    High speed internet still isn't available everywhere though.

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Explain?
    just wondering if a split on TV with Rogers/Bell does the CFL office have to approve that?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    just wondering if a split on TV with Rogers/Bell does the CFL office have to approve that?
    I wonder how many CFL fans only subscribe to TSN right now and not Sportsnet? You would need to subscribe to both.
    Also I can see the CFL and Rogers trying to schedule their TV broadcasts around the Jays. Not too many days from Apr to the end of Sept when the Jays are not playing. It just wouldn't work out very good for the CFL to have Rogers involved. TSN will be the lone bidder again.
    Rogers has the big NHL contract and the big Jays contract, they have no need for the CFL

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    I wonder how many CFL fans only subscribe to TSN right now and not Sportsnet? You would need to subscribe to both.
    Also I can see the CFL and Rogers trying to schedule their TV broadcasts around the Jays. Not too many days from Apr to the end of Sept when the Jays are not playing. It just wouldn't work out very good for the CFL to have Rogers involved. TSN will be the lone bidder again.
    Rogers has the big NHL contract and the big Jays contract, they have no need for the CFL
    I would say people who have cable/satellite would have both even if it's just the lead in channels with the network opposite their provider. We're with Rogers but still get TSN 2 and 4. Don't need all 5.

Scheduling around the Jays wouldn't be that difficult for Rogers, especially if they only gets 1 or 2 games a week. It doesn't need to be 50/50.

MLB schedule comes out before the CFL anyways, Jays don't play too many Thursdays so they can get the days their off and on Saturdays, if the Jays play at 1 EST, the CFL game can be at 4pm, primetime or west coast.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    How did this thread get taken over with debating future league broadcast rights?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    I would say people who have cable/satellite would have both even if it's just the lead in channels with the network opposite their provider. We're with Rogers but still get TSN 2 and 4. Don't need all 5.

Scheduling around the Jays wouldn't be that difficult for Rogers, especially if they only gets 1 or 2 games a week. It doesn't need to be 50/50.

MLB schedule comes out before the CFL anyways, Jays don't play too many Thursdays so they can get the days their off and on Saturdays, if the Jays play at 1 EST, the CFL game can be at 4pm, primetime or west coast.
    If you want to get every CFL game you need all five TSN channels. There have already been some games pre-empted on some channels, as there are every year.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    How did this thread get taken over with debating future league broadcast rights?
    As Marvel has proven ... fantasy is big right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    If you want to get every CFL game you need all five TSN channels. There have already been some games pre-empted on some channels, as there are every year.
    Yep, I was in Ottawa last week - the home of TSN5 -and neither the Argos game nor the Lions game were on TSN5, which was the only TSN available in the hotel. Thank goodness for TSNGo although it worked much better for the Argos game and not quite as well for the Lions game.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force