Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Well, that's game.

Glad to see SJ have a breakout game. Always love Declan. Franklin's growing and improving, still liking his game.

I worry about Wilders consistency, though I think the o line shares more of the blame than usual tonight. Whenever Wilders running with his head up, hes not productive.

Wynn's getting fined and/or suspended.

I think our biggest problem is the secondary on second down. Cannot be that automatic. Looked better in the fourth, but lousy in the second and third.

Tackling was bad tonight. Tuggle wasnt particularly bad, but we could really use Woods or Reed to kick some ass. Too soft.

Unless the film puts a lot of blame on the holder, the Ronnie Pfeffer experiment is over... probably in all phases but at the very least for field goals and points after.

I'm glad they made it interesting, but this was again a game that probably shouldn't have been this close.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I almost feel like with a few more bounces their way that the Argos could (and I emphasize could) be 3-1 instead of 1-3, but you got to roll with the punches and unfortunately that's the situation the Argos find themselves in right now. It is unfortunate that it came down to Pfeffer's missed FG and the failed 3rd down gamble early in the game.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Either the coaching will get them back on track or it won't...profound I know...but they need a spark.

You don't want 3 losses to turn into 4 and then into 5, etc etc
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PullTogether73 View Post
    Time for the league to step in and mandate that Yell tighten his helmet or not play.
    Lost his bucket AGAIN!
    It's a comfort thing. He probably hates the way a proper fitting one presses against his temple or other various areas. Can't say I blame him, I hated wearing a helmet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I don't like the Argos not going for it on third down with only 2:30 to go as even if they did stop the Eskimos right away after the kick they were likely going to get the ball back deep in their end.
    I would've liked to see them go for it there too. I understand why they didn't, as the defence had been playing well, but the game rested on that last Argo possession IMO. Sadly, the tackling was atrocious on that last Edmonton possession, as well.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    It's a comfort thing. He probably hates the way a proper fitting one presses against his temple or other various areas. Can't say I blame him, I hated wearing a helmet.
    Perhaps, but he will be more uncomfortable with a concussion or worse when he gets hit in the head without that uncomfortable helmet.
    He should have to forfeit any claims against the league for future lawsuits as well.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I would've liked to see them go for it there too. I understand why they didn't, as the defence had been playing well, but the game rested on that last Argo possession IMO. Sadly, the tackling was atrocious on that last Edmonton possession, as well.
    Eskimo fans believed that Maas should've done the same thing late in the game last Saturday.

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    in 1st quarter argos had the ball deep inside eskimo territory [inside the 10 if memory serves] and settled for an FG instead of getting a TD
    it was a very notable sequence
    that and a missed FG by argos also cost then
    defences are keying on the wilder off tackle run on 1st down and argos only get 2 yd
    stop doing that
    i think wilder has been a bit of a bust this yr running the ball on 1st down
    better to keep him in to block throw the ball to cross instead
    him and jerome messam would have made a great duo in pass blocking - franklin would have all day to throw

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Happy to see Franklin play with poise and leadership. Good to have SJ Green back to his usual self and that may also be because Franklin had enough of the other receivers dropping the ball. We need consistency in kicking and better production on first down (as well as the defence creating more second and long).

I have faith. The most brutal part of the schedule is almost over, the Argos lost their starting quarterback, and were one point away from being .500. They will improve and win more than they lose from here on out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Happy to see Franklin play with poise and leadership. Good to have SJ Green back to his usual self and that may also be because Franklin had enough of the other receivers dropping the ball. We need consistency in kicking and better production on first down (as well as the defence creating more second and long).

I have faith. The most brutal part of the schedule is almost over, the Argos lost their starting quarterback, and were one point away from being .500. They will improve and win more than they lose from here on out.
    I'm with you. More good than bad in this one. It's very hard to win back-to-back and we very nearly did, against a very good team.

When's the last time a young QB played as well in his first start for the Argonauts? Franklin had a couple of hiccups, but he is just going to get better and better. I wish they would try to get him out of the pocket more and take advantage of his mobility, Reilly rolls out more than Frankiin does at this point. It was great to see him establish some chemistry with Green, but he needs another weapon on offence. I'd love to see Rodney Smith take a regular shift instead of Jimmy Ralph, who's a gamer but simply too small and too slow, but they probably can't ratio-wise. I like the continued commitment to the run, but they need to give Wilder some different looks and bounce him outside once in a while too. Martese jackson has been a disappointment -- I'd love to see what McCluster could do with those plays Jackson ran tonight.

I liked what I saw on defence too for the most part, but they're still not getting enough pressure, did Striker even play? Vaughan had a bad game and that was an incredible bonehead move by Winn, but it's starting to look like a big play defence with some huge plays from Tuggle, Yell, Darby and Dowling. I will always trade the occasional soft tackle for a big defensive play, but i agree it will be good to see Woods back in form to clean up the tackling a little more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Hopefully some quality players become available as NFL cuts and at least two areas of this team that simply lack the necessary talent can be upgraded.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Hopefully some quality players become available as NFL cuts and at least two areas of this team that simply lack the necessary talent can be upgraded.
    We might get Posey back, but the NFL cuts usually don't make a big impact like they used to. It's not like a Mike O'Shea is going to land here. I think this team is OK. As "The Don" mentioned, we could easily be 3-1. It's been a combination of tough scheduling, injuries and bad luck. I see the Argos fighting for top spot in the East come seasons end.

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Franklin is looking good. Seems to be fitting in nicely with this offense. I'm not sure what Edmonton really has for a defense, so he will probably get a good "measuring stick" of where he's at next week against the Bomber D.
    Support CFL league & team sponsors by buying their stuff!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Similar game from the 2 offences; mostly pass - but mixed in a bit of run (Gable more effective than Wilder) - and big time over reliance on one main target in the passing game (Argos to Green; Esks to Williams) = didn\t exactly produce a lot of points did it; And Reilly's timely scrambles helped the Esks offence out. I'd suggest both offences need to learn and show a lot more variety: more run game; more H-back; spread the ball around to all receivers. But same old is a hallmark of a lot of the CFL game now.

Again - IMO - Argos need way more pass rush out of the DEs (Davis & Striker did zip this game); audition another new guy. and not sure why Evan Foster - a top notch natural DE in college ball - continues to rate zero playing time - even a few plays - to see if he can make an impact; and when the favored American guys getting to play there continue to do next to nothing ?

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post

I like they way the team looks. Franklin's tool box has run and deep ball. It shows as he can control the game and did very well against a good football team.

Season looks exciting as the teams are good and anyone can beat anybody.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Random thoughts:

Ralph got replaced as holder by Bethel Thompson after the terribly missed FG attempt. I don't know if we have been having problems with snaps or holds (altho the one he missed against Calgary looked like a bad snap to me), but regardless, this needs to be sorted out pronto.

I think the absence of Woods is being felt in more ways than one. In addition to missing his presence and big-play ability, I suspect his absence is forcing Ball to backfill in a way; Ball does not seem to be making the kinds of big plays he's capable of.

The secondary remains a trouble spot; Yell and Heath each had moments of brilliance but also several instances of lousy play. The only DB who seems to be playing really well is Darby (whose side does not get thrown to often). If Vaughan is not seriously injured, maybe he can replace Kanneh, allowing Dowling (who made one really good play on a blitz) to stay at LB. I still think Heath is playing out of position at CB.

Little to no pass rush, again. This can't continue. If Wynn gets suspended, we will be in trouble again next week along the line.

The o-line did a very nice job of pass blocking, a very poor job of run blocking. Popp has got to be looking for some new INTs (since we can't replace the NATs before next season). (BTW, Mason Woods was in civvies last night, just as he was all of last season.)

Trestman was pissed about defensive personnel deployment late in the first half. "Why wouldn't Cleyon be in there with 2:45 left"? Archer's defence has achieved the remarkable feat of allowing Edmonton to score just 33 points in two games while giving up play after play after play. I can't tell if I should be feeling optimistic or pessimistic based on that, but leaning to pessimism.

Despite the disappointment of being 1-3 and with all of these issues cropping up, I feel optimistic overall because of Franklin. He looks poised and confident, and he chucks the ball all over the field. He was let down big-time by his receivers last night, especially Noel who dropped a TD pass and failed to snag a couple of other catchable balls.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'd love to see Rodney Smith take a regular shift instead of Jimmy Ralph, who's a gamer but simply too small and too slow, but they probably can't ratio-wise.
    They should have no ratio issues if they start Smith at SB. They started eight NATs last night: one DB, one DT, three o-linemen, two WRs, and one SB/FB. Could go back to seven with Smith in there. When Smith was in the game briefly, it appeared to me that he had in fact replaced Ralph.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Biggest improvement in 2017 was the D which has turned into the biggest disappointment in 2018 (so far).
    Poor coverage and tackling are becoming the norm, first play last night (Reilly 40 yard completion) was largely due to Heath’s confusion on the play.
    Corey Chamblin is missed big time, hopefully they get it figured out.
    On a positive note really like Franklin, looks like a natural leader who will only improve with time.
    Nice to see SJ Green and Franklin starting to develop some chemistry but the Argos need all receivers contributing to be effective.
    Williams and Noel simply need to be better than they showed last night.
    Agree with all of OV’s (post#74) including the fact the D line needs to be much better.
    All in all there seems to be improvement but still much work to be done before this team becomes a factor this season.
    Last edited by Argo57; 07-14-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Wynn suspended 1 game for hit on Gable.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/07/14/argos-...me-suspension/

I think it's a bit on the light side. Can't have these hits....was thinking 2 IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Vaughn had every reason to be upset. Sorenson pulled a tourist hit that could have caused an injury. Horrible call.
    Unfortunately they missed Sorensen's shenanigans and called the "retaliation".

Hard-hitting game, and I thought we played pretty well overall. Franklin showed growth, which bodes well for the future.

Rough games for Pfeffer and Noel, and we had some tackling issues on D. Those need to be cleaned up.