Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    remember Numeris numbers are an estimate. It is a sampling for overnight data. They use the people meters to try to come up with viewing numbers for overnight data. There is a sound the meter picks up from the TV. Turn the vol down or off and still watch? You are not included if the meter can not pickup the tone.

The numbers we see published are continuous viewers. If you leave the room or switch channels and then return you will not be included in the overnight ratings but will be included in total reach numbers, something that isn't posted. If you have to use the bathroom, well you have taken away how much the CFL will get for TV revenue, so please keep a bed pan beside you. There are far more people watching if the overnight numbers are saying 500-600K. J.M. story- the quality of the game affected those numbers and also in the U.S. There are also areas of Canada that is not covered very well with the people meters so the data is an estimate. Numeris has said that sports is the most difficult to determine and I believe them. For most TV shows it doesn't matter - for sports it matters. The league and TSN should push to see the distribution of the meters. Again this is statistics and the distribution must be done fairly to get good results from a small sample size.
    Numeris has its own web site to explain everything. Haven't looked at it in a long time but at one time it explains how they measure
    But Numeris also sends out the diaries, we did one a few years ago and everyone in the household over 5 years old completes it for a week and mails it back. They also do the over the phone surveys
    They also started measuring recorded programs on DVRs a couple of years ago because a lot of people record their sports and fast forward the ads etc, there were a lot of ratings missed. Your bathroom break wouldn't apply to the DVR'd games.
    And don't forget that people have multiple TVs in a home. We had 3 TVs and I could be watching a CFL game and my wife in another room watching her programs and my daughter watching her teen programs. My wife and daughter both like the Jays and they watch the, so if going head to head against the CFL our household would show 2 Jays to 1 CFL.

I would disagree with you about the bathroom etc, it's about people watching more than a few minutes and not turning the channel.
    You can go on to Numeris and see the actual numbers published for the week, it takes at least 2 weeks to compile the meters, diaries etc and they are not far off the overnight estimates. If you think that the CFL numbers should be higher than it would be the same for the other sports too, like the Jays on sportsnet.
    I believer they have everything covered and they are pretty accurate and it's not just about one person in a home using a meter, there is more to it than that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I must be one of the crazies that leaves the TV on and doesn’t adjust the volume to take a leak. Where’s Edward Snowden to tell us the real truth like they know when we use the washroom. Telling fans that using the washroom hurts CFL rating was a good laugh anyway.

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I must be one of the crazies that leaves the TV on and doesn’t adjust the volume to take a leak. Where’s Edward Snowden to tell us the real truth like they know when we use the washroom. Telling fans that using the washroom hurts CFL rating was a good laugh anyway.
    Wait, people turn the tv off to go to the washroom?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    I think you may have answered my question about why people, even older Argo fans, don't come down to games at BMO. Now that you mention it, I wear my Argo hats/t-shirts all the time and it is amazing how often people, usually in their 50's, come up to me and, in a hushed tone, start up an Argo/CFL conversation. Almost like they don't want anyone else to hear. If the stigma of being an Argo fan exists even in the generation that grew up when the team was cool and the talk of the city, I don't know how you get the younger crowd to come. Very sad thought...but at least people are still watching at home...
    I'm 27 and I go to games by myself all the time. It's kinda depressing at first but I got used to it. The only other person my age who's interested in the CFL is a Ticat fan, so we go to those games together, but otherwise I usually just go down alone and chill in the endzone seats. Usually listen to Hogie on headphones. Meanwhile I could find 6 or 7 people to go to a Jays game on any given night. My friends have also embraced the Rock as a cheap sports alternative, which is great, but they won't touch the Argos for whatever reason. They don't care about the NFL either so I think it's the sport, not the team

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeslet'sgo View Post
    I'm 27 and I go to games by myself all the time. It's kinda depressing at first but I got used to it. The only other person my age who's interested in the CFL is a Ticat fan, so we go to those games together, but otherwise I usually just go down alone and chill in the endzone seats. Usually listen to Hogie on headphones. Meanwhile I could find 6 or 7 people to go to a Jays game on any given night. My friends have also embraced the Rock as a cheap sports alternative, which is great, but they won't touch the Argos for whatever reason. They don't care about the NFL either so I think it's the sport, not the team
    good 4 u !! bravo !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeslet'sgo View Post
    Great to see you enjoy the game whether alone or with others. I grew up an only child, so early in life I learned to do things on my own when my friends weren't available. I didn't realize that some people, especially women (perhaps for safety reasons), rarely and sometimes never do things on their own until I had a couple of girlfriends who were shocked that I even went to movies on my own. I have travelled to 72 countries, about 60% of them on my own, and found that travel and football are very different experiences when watched alone or with others, but each is rewarding in their own way, if you approach them in the right frame of mind. When it comes to football, I've been going to football games in Vancouver with the same guy for thirty years because none of his or my friends could be convinced to go to more than a game or two. He's from Toronto so we always make sure we see the Argos game here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Ottawa-Montreal TV ratings have been some of lowest ratings over the last two years. Even with Manziel playing in Week 9, they were the lowest in the CFL, but only by a smidgen compared to the Edmonton-BC game.

Manziel’s second start for the Montreal Alouettes last Saturday against the Ottawa Redblacks was the lowest-rated game of the week on TSN, drawing 502,700 viewers. That’s the bad news.
    The good news is that’s still the biggest number a game between these two teams has produced in the last two seasons and a substantial improvement over 2017.
    The Redblacks, as we’ve chronicled before, have some of the lowest TV ratings in the CFL over the last two years. A week 13 match up in Montreal drew just 190,000 on TSN and was the lowest-rated game of the 2017 CFL season. The two other contests between these two clubs last year drew just 326,000 and 298,000. ...

These two teams also played a Week 5 matchup earlier this season that posted 393,000 – well below the season average. So cracking the 500,000 mark – something Ottawa had done just twice so far this season – is a significant achievement.
    So while Manziel may not be moving the needle to the degree that was anticipated, there’s seems little doubt that folks are tuning in to see him play (for this week anyway.)

Week 9 ratings

Thursday
    Edmonton and B.C.: 503,700

Friday
    Hamilton at Winnipeg: 550,100

Saturday
    Montreal at Ottawa: 502,700

Weekly average vs. 2017 (four games): +10.6 per cent.

Overall average vs 2017 year-to-date: +3.2 per cent
    http://3downnation.com/2018/08/17/cf...needle-little/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    TV Ratings up 4.1% so far this season:

http://3downnation.com/2018/08/23/cf...-audience-tsn/

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    when does tsn contract run out ?
    cbc is a network that give them a lot more eyeballs / exposure and u do not need a sub to view a Canadian Football League game
    the cbc already get tax $ and we get rugby and 'dressage'
    how about football like ctv does w/ nfl games ?

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by macspectrum View Post
    when does tsn contract run out ?
    cbc is a network that give them a lot more eyeballs / exposure and u do not need a sub to view a Canadian Football League game
    the cbc already get tax $ and we get rugby and 'dressage'
    how about football like ctv does w/ nfl games ?

CBC has no money and doesn't compete for pro sports anymore

CFL is on TSN-only because its their #1 property and forces you to subscribe to TSN. NFL is on CTV because only CTV is allow to simulcast (override us signal and insert their commercials), TSN can't do that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipyard View Post

CFL is on TSN-only because its their #1 property and forces you to subscribe to TSN. NFL is on CTV because only CTV is allow to simulcast (override us signal and insert their commercials), TSN can't do that.
    The CBC gets over a billion dollars yearly in funding. Not sure how they have no money. Regardless hopefully the CFL goes to the open market in 2021 and gets competitive bids. TSN pays more for the Regional Ottawa Senators rights than they do for the higher rated National CFL rights.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level

are u saying that tsn broadcasts nfl games without showing any commercials from canada ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by macspectrum View Post
    are u saying that tsn broadcasts nfl games without showing any commercials from canada ?
    When the game is on CTV they take over the US Feed (NBC, Fox, ABCN CBS) in Canada, so you will see the same Canadian commercials on both CTV and the US channel. When the NFL game is Only on TSN you will see US commercials on the US channel.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    The CBC gets over a billion dollars yearly in funding. Not sure how they have no money. Regardless hopefully the CFL goes to the open market in 2021 and gets competitive bids. TSN pays more for the Regional Ottawa Senators rights than they do for the higher rated National CFL rights.
    The CFL chose not to allow CBC to bid in 2007 because Mr.Braley does not like the CBC(They had a technician strike in 2005 that involved announcer less games).Elliot Friedman stated that history and accessibility did not matter to the CFL BOG.Rick Lalacheur,mentioned in an interview with TSN 1040 this past week, that Mr.Braley does not seem interested selling the franchise.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level

The CFL is really the #12 property for TSN. NHL,NFL,Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Senators,Jets,EPL,Hockey Canada,NBA,Raptors,MLS all have much higher priority than the CFL.It will probably move to #13 come August of next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    The CFL is really the #12 property for TSN. NHL,NFL,Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Senators,Jets,EPL,Hockey Canada,NBA,Raptors,MLS all have much higher priority than the CFL.It will probably move to #13 come August of next year.
    What's happening August next year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    So MLS is a higher priority for TSN than the CFL? Really?????? CFL averages over half a million viewers for each of the week's games and as we have seen will occasionally have 3/4 million viewers for the occasional game. In the past, MLS at this time of the year averaged closer to 50 thousand. I have not seen any Canadian TV ratings for MLS over the past 3 to 6 weeks but I'm sure, if Canadian TV ratings for MLS were close to the CFL numbers we would have heard by now. So if TSN really does give priority to a sport that struggles to get better numbers than broadcast delayed poker---it would be the biggest mistake since the captain of the Titanic said "what iceberg?"

Claims without any substantiating numbers or stats is simply an individual attempting to project a bias or prejudice upon a particular issue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Viewership for Argo games has dropped from an average of 548,000 for the first four games, a 20% increase following the Grey Cup win, to 425,000-428,000 for the last two games. Although the other teams involved, Ottawa, traditionally a poor draw, and last place Montreal likely had something to do with that, viewership in the next few games bears watching to see if Argos' poor performance is helping to produce this decline.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Viewership dropped again in Week 11 for the Argos to 380,400 against Montreal, perhaps not unsurprisingly as it involved the two worst teams in the league at the time. As Thursday night broadcasts end, the good news is viewership for them is up 13.5%, but this may reflect the fact that the Riders from 484,000 to 550,000, the most popular team among viewers, played three times on Thursday this year compared to once last year.

Week 11
    Thursday
    Edmonton at Hamilton 519,700

Friday
    Toronto at Montreal 380,400

Saturday (early)
    Winnipeg at Calgary 437,000

Saturday (late)
    Saskatchewan at B.C. 699,900

Week 11 2018 vs Week 10 2017: +1.3 per cent
    Year-to-date vs 2017: +3.8 per cent
    http://3downnation.com/2018/08/31/cf...-rider-driven/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Did the Friday game include the RDS numbers or was it TSN only?