Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Has there even been a bad weather game at BMO yet ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Hasn't been a bad weather game yet In my view.

I would love to see what kind of attendance is reported if there is a da with heavy rain when the Ti-Cats are in town. By announcing scanned that could make it another historic low, yet sales being good.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Hasn't been a bad weather game yet In my view.

I would love to see what kind of attendance is reported if there is a da with heavy rain when the Ti-Cats are in town. By announcing scanned that could make it another historic low, yet sales being good.
    Yeah I'm a little confused as to why for the Argonauts the announced crowd is tickets scanned and yet for TFC it's tickets sold and distributed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Yeah I'm a little confused as to why for the Argonauts the announced crowd is tickets scanned and yet for TFC it's tickets sold and distributed.
    Would love to hear the explanation tough I was under the impression TFC does scanned as well. They announced as sellout on Saturday of 29,190 yet the stadium seats over 30K for soccer.

I've always wondered if it had something to do with MLSE's lease with the city...couldn't even guess what that would be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    Yes. That was before Rogers owned a piece of the Argos. It was also to make the Dome more baseball friendly (grass field), which has not happened. But we all agree BMO is better...it's just some Argo fans didn't make the move to BMO with the team and prefer to watch on TV now - hence the good ratings. How do we get some of them back to the games in person?
    I am not surprised that the grass field was never installed at RC, nor was it ever going to be installed. Jays didn't and still don't want the Argos there. The Dome sucks, BMO is great, too bad people who did not make the move don't realize that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Would love to hear the explanation tough I was under the impression TFC does scanned as well. They announced as sellout on Saturday of 29,190 yet the stadium seats over 30K for soccer.

I've always wondered if it had something to do with MLSE's lease with the city...couldn't even guess what that would be.
    That 30k number is a myth that Leweike started when he announced the renos. Which was never completed because they didn't end up doing the North end the way they wanted to - they ran out of time and cheaped out. Just like the 40k number he said for temp stand soccer events. It's about 26,500 for Argos - 33k for Grey Cup - around 28,500 for TFC now with those temp stands in the North End (around 29,000 with standing room) - around 36k with the Grey Cup/Centennial Classic temp stands.

Major reno coming for the 2026 World Cup, since the World Cup bid stated 45,500 capacity for BMO.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    That 30k number is a myth that Leweike started when he announced the renos. Which was never completed because they didn't end up doing the North end the way they wanted to - they ran out of time and cheaped out. Just like the 40k number he said for temp stand soccer events. It's about 26,500 for Argos - 33k for Grey Cup - around 28,500 for TFC now with those temp stands in the North End (around 29,000 with standing room) - around 36k with the Grey Cup/Centennial Classic temp stands.

Major reno coming for the 2026 World Cup, since the World Cup bid stated 45,500 capacity for BMO.
    We have yet to have a nasty "cold" rain event day.Think 84 eastern final, 86 game against Montreal, 88 eastern final.
    Attendance could hit 7-8000 territory.

This renovation could very well involve an ETF roof/sliding garage door component.
    like this facility.
    https://populous.com/project/forsyth-barr-stadium/

Skydome might just see the Argos return albeit temporarily.
    I'm fine with it as long as those games are not on Thursday(my big pet peeve).
    I want a Sunday game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    We have yet to have a nasty "cold" rain event day.Think 84 eastern final, 86 game against Montreal, 88 eastern final.

This renovation could very well involve an ETF roof/sliding garage door component.
    like this facility.

I want a Sunday game.
    I very highly doubt there will be an ETF Roof. Most likely (from what I've been told, but things could change): New upper West stands, upgrade suites in the West stands, new seats, and both endzones will be renovated again. The dome ain't happening either - I really don't understand why it's still being brought up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Forget the roof or changes to stands--fix the damn north end zone playing surface. It's an absolute disgrace.

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Forget the roof or changes to stands--fix the damn north end zone playing surface. It's an absolute disgrace.
    and fix 17 yd endzones to 20
    or make a league wide rule change that end zones are now to be 15 yd deep
    putting goal posts at back of end zone means less FGs and more go for it on 3rd down
    all [1 and 2] PATs now are from 3 yd line

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post

like this facility.

I want a Sunday game.
    The 1982 Grey Cup was the most miserable weather game I’ve attended.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I think one problem with argo attendance is that many people who are fans, and would like to go to games, can't find anyone to go with them - so they watch on TV instead.

Unfortunately Toronto (and many Canadians) think that they are too good for the CFL. By admitting they are an argo fan they are displaying how uncool they are (in the minds of many Torontonians). Many people get teased about their love of the CFL here in Toronto/Southern Ontario. Younger people are particularly susceptible to this. This could explain why CFL fans tend to be a bit older.

Toronto is a very insecure city with absolutely no culture. People here only get excited about things when other people, particularly americans, get excited about them.

Godfather
    I think you may have answered my question about why people, even older Argo fans, don't come down to games at BMO. Now that you mention it, I wear my Argo hats/t-shirts all the time and it is amazing how often people, usually in their 50's, come up to me and, in a hushed tone, start up an Argo/CFL conversation. Almost like they don't want anyone else to hear. If the stigma of being an Argo fan exists even in the generation that grew up when the team was cool and the talk of the city, I don't know how you get the younger crowd to come. Very sad thought...but at least people are still watching at home...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The TV ratings for Manziel's first start are in. While 13% above the league average with 575,200 on TSN and 155,000 on RDS, they are not the massive increase many people were expecting. Once again the Riders dominated with 907,800 watching their game against Edmonton. Toronto's game against Ottawa drew the smallest number of viewers, 428,000, while BC at Calgary had 462,700 viewers.

The Alouettes terrible start in the game against Hamilton – they were down 28-0 before the first quarter was over – likely played a factor in the ratings as did Manziel’s poor performance. He was pulled after three quarters having thrown four interceptions.
    Montreal didn’t get a substantial boost at the gate, either. Attendance for the game was just 18,576, their second-largest home crowd of the season but just a 5.5 per cent increase over their 17,623 average.
    http://3downnation.com/2018/08/07/ts...-expectations/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    On the other hand, with 406,000 viewers Manziel drew the largest audience ever to watch a CFL game on ESPN2. The previous record was a 2013 Edmonton-Saskatchewan game that had 347,000 viewers.

Last edited by jerrym; 08-11-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The TV ratings for Manziel's first start are in. While 13% above the league average with 575,200 on TSN and 155,000 on RDS, they are not the massive increase many people were expecting. Once again the Riders dominated with 907,800 watching their game against Edmonton. Toronto's game against Ottawa drew the smallest number of viewers, 428,000, while BC at Calgary had 462,700 viewers.

remember Numeris numbers are an estimate. It is a sampling for overnight data. They use the people meters to try to come up with viewing numbers for overnight data. There is a sound the meter picks up from the TV. Turn the vol down or off and still watch? You are not included if the meter can not pickup the tone.

The numbers we see published are continuous viewers. If you leave the room or switch channels and then return you will not be included in the overnight ratings but will be included in total reach numbers, something that isn't posted. If you have to use the bathroom, well you have taken away how much the CFL will get for TV revenue, so please keep a bed pan beside you. There are far more people watching if the overnight numbers are saying 500-600K. J.M. story- the quality of the game affected those numbers and also in the U.S. There are also areas of Canada that is not covered very well with the people meters so the data is an estimate. Numeris has said that sports is the most difficult to determine and I believe them. For most TV shows it doesn't matter - for sports it matters. The league and TSN should push to see the distribution of the meters. Again this is statistics and the distribution must be done fairly to get good results from a small sample size.
    Numeris has its own web site to explain everything. Haven't looked at it in a long time but at one time it explains how they measure

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    That patio out in CF seems to be quite popular.

Plus, people my age were 5 or 6 when the Jays won the World Series. They got us then and we are now in the positions of having disposable income.
    To bad that the open area by the North Endzone @ BMO Field has been replaced with stands.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post

But as per the Toronto media wasn't JM supposed to sell thousands of tickets and that's why Toronto should have signed him?

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    But as per the Toronto media wasn't JM supposed to sell thousands of tickets and that's why Toronto should have signed him?
    People likely tuned in for the 1st quarter and switched off when it was 28 - 0 and Manziel looking bad.

Would he have sold tickets in Toronto? I doubt it, nothing seems to bring in a crowd in Toronto, they've tried cheap tickets, concerts, cheap beer, weekend games, Ex entry with tickets, winning a Grey Cup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    IMO the TV numbers are reasonably good, with an average of 645,000 (just shy of 2/3 of a million) for a mid summer week. OK, we can always hope for better and the "seats on bums" need to improve but it still shows that the CFL is good for the money with TSN. Just an aside, does anyone know how TFC TV numbers have been over the last few weeks?