Level

TSN poll: best Canadian receiver of all-time

1. Ben Cahoon 32%
    2. Ray Elgaard 19%
    3. Tony Gabriel 10%
    4. Terry Evanshen 9%
    5. Joe Poplawski 8%
    6. Andy Fantuz 7%

Poplawski is #1 for me from this list. Criminally underrated.

No Masotti, Sapunjis or Clermont?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Cahoon - "Canadian" or not, IMO had the best set of hands - all-time - for receivers in football (NFL included).

Gabriel (started as a tight end, when the position mattered in the CFL, but morphed into a slotback) and Elgaard were all-time great reliable hands, big targets - both almost unstoppable in their primes.

Poplawski & Fantuz were fantastic all-around receivers - great hands and could get open deep.

Masotti is more like criminally under-rated IMO; solid all-around, great hands with sneaky speed and big play ability.

Whit Tucker could have been on this list with Evanshen IMO - blazing speed deep threat and one of the all-time best yards/catch averages.

I believe that vote reflects more the average age of voters = Cahoon had tons of great seasons in more recent history (plus played for years with an all-time veteran accurate passer in Calvillo).

IF you had to build a CFL offence with just one of those guys in the receiving corps? = tough call, but I might go with Gabriel or Elgaard or maybe Poplawski too, over Cahoon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It is ridiculous that someone who was NEVER CANADIAN is being ranked as the greatest Canadian receiver of all time. Cahoon was great, but he was a non-import, not a Canadian.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It is ridiculous that someone who was NEVER CANADIAN is being ranked as the greatest Canadian receiver of all time. Cahoon was great, but he was a non-import, not a Canadian.
    Well....

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Cahoon was born in Utah but qualified as a Canadian in the CFL because his parents were Canadian and he spent ... part of his childhood in Cardston, Alberta and is therefore considered a non-import under the CFL's import/non-import ratio rule.

Cahoon played his high school sports at Mountain View High School in Orem, Utah where he earned All-Region and All-State honors in football, basketball, and soccer.Throughout his career Cahoon steadfastly maintained he felt he was Canadian despite being born in the U.S. and attending both high school and college in Utah.

Hmmmmm. He would have had to attend a Canadian university to firmly establish Canadian credentials in my book.

Last edited by Foxhound; 07-20-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Radically Canadian!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

And yet - some Canadians were all over celebrating Jamaican born Canadian sprinters who won medals as great Canadian athletes?; or Lennox Lewis as a boxer?; that Greg Joy guy (American born high jumper who completed for Canada and won a silver medal (whoop de do) in the Olympics) was featured in an old TV station sign-off clip celebrating great things about Canada (Joy's moment selected for that was an embarassing joke IMO) ???

Ben Cahoon is IMO as Canadian as any of those examples; and his top football accomplishments - that got him recognized as an all-time great receiver - were all done in Canada, in the CANADIAN Football League.

It was an outstanding thing IMO for Jon Cornish to be recognized as the top Canadian athlete in winning that award/trophy (Lou Marsh ?) a few years back - Canadian football players have been dis-respected, shunned or ignored as outstanding, top athletes in their own country for a long time IMO. Maybe Cornish should have been disqualified though for playing US college ball ?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    And yet - some Canadians were all over celebrating Jamaican born Canadian sprinters who won medals as great Canadian athletes?; or Lennox Lewis as a boxer?; that Greg Joy guy (American born high jumper who completed for Canada and won a silver medal (whoop de do) in the Olympics) was featured in an old TV station sign-off clip celebrating great things about Canada (Joy's moment selected for that was an embarassing joke IMO) ???

Ben Cahoon is IMO as Canadian as any of those examples; and his top football accomplishments - that got him recognized as an all-time great receiver - were all done in Canada, in the CANADIAN Football League.

It was an outstanding thing IMO for Jon Cornish to be recognized as the top Canadian athlete in winning that award/trophy (Lou Marsh ?) a few years back - Canadian football players have been dis-respected, shunned or ignored as outstanding, top athletes in their own country for a long time IMO. Maybe Cornish should have been disqualified though for playing US college ball ?
    Greg Joy? that is really unfair. He was born in the US to CANADIAN parents, his dad was working in Portland at the time. He went to high school in Vancouver.
    He lives in Ottawa and has run the Ottawa food bank for many years, he's an adjudicator for the landlord and tenant board in Ottawa. Back in 96 he ran for the Ontario PCs in Ottawa west.

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by halifaxguy View Post
    Greg Joy? that is really unfair. He was born in the US to CANADIAN parents, his dad was working in Portland at the time. He went to high school in Vancouver.
    He lives in Ottawa and has run the Ottawa food bank for many years, he's an adjudicator for the landlord and tenant board in Ottawa. Back in 96 he ran for the Ontario PCs in Ottawa west.
    I agree.

Radically Canadian!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Greg Joy might be a great guy and all, but the point is he was American born (to Canadian parents = same as Cahoon), and his big accomplishment was winning a silver medal for Canada in an ultra limited sports discipline (high-jump); sorry, but IMO he is not even in the same area code as Ben Cahoon in terms
    of sport accomplishment.

Football is a Canadian game (invented and played here for over a century) - and Cahoon proved to be one of the best all-time in a Canadian sport, playing for over a decade in a league that is exclusively in Canada. No disrespect intended for track& field and the high-jump.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Greg Joy might be a great guy and all, but the point is he was American born (to Canadian parents = same as Cahoon), and his big accomplishment was winning a silver medal for Canada in an ultra limited sports discipline (high-jump); sorry, but IMO he is not even in the same area code as Ben Cahoon in terms
    of sport accomplishment.

Football is a Canadian game (invented and played here for over a century) - and Cahoon proved to be one of the best all-time in a Canadian sport, playing for over a decade in a league that is exclusively in Canada. No disrespect intended for track& field and the high-jump.
    I get what you are saying, OV, but the reason why Joy gets acclaim is because he had, arguably, the most memorable moment for a Canadian athlete during the Montreal Olympics. I was a wee lad of 6 at the time and I still remember watching him in the high jump live on TV.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    of sport accomplishment.

I don't disagree with any of that. But there is still a difference. One guy chose to be Canadian, one didn't.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

As a huge Lennox "The Last Man Standing" Lewis fan, I would note that Lennox did grow up in KW (and has a street named after him).

I see that Lennox will be back in KW this month and doing good work: http://locfoundation.org/news-events
    Last edited by Argo; 07-21-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I think OV is right: the poll reflects the age of those voting to a significant extent. Fantuz is the only one who played more recently than Cahoon, so Cahoon benefits enormously from that. I would put Tony Gabriel first not only for his pass catching ability but because he revolutionized the tight end position, helping to bring about the creation of the modern slotback. Ray Elgaard, who not only accumulated more than 13,000 yards but was a beast to bring down, was next IMO. I would rank Terry Evanshen third because he was a dominant receiver at the peak of his career. Sapunjis and Sinopoli should be added to the list IMO.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    What about Brad Sinopoli? the converted QB has 3 seasons in a row of 1,000 yards. Is the poll only for "retired" receivers?

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    What about Brad Sinopoli? the converted QB has 3 seasons in a row of 1,000 yards. Is the poll only for "retired" receivers?
    I will say it again "Brad Sinopoli" - last night he catches 12 passes for 170 yards. None of the other guys listed ever had a 170 yard game.
    Right now he's the number one receiver in the league with 36 catches and after only 5 games.

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Poplawski is #1 for me from this list. Criminally underrated.

No Masotti, Sapunjis or Clermont?
    Poplawski & Fantuz were fantastic all-around receivers - great hands and could get open deep.

Masotti is more like criminally under-rated IMO; solid all-around, great hands with sneaky speed and big play ability.

Whit Tucker could have been on this list with Evanshen IMO - blazing speed deep threat and one of the all-time best yards/catch averages.
    I agree. The omission of all the fellows mentioned above is truly shameful. Another incredible oversight is the omission of Rocky Dipietro who I believe retired as the leading pass catcher of all-time in the CFL:

I believe that vote reflects more the average age of voters....
    Precisely! Always a problem.

Last edited by Foxhound; 07-20-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    Radically Canadian!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    He felt so Canadian that he made Canada his permanent home after retiring. Oh wait ...

That was a convenient thing to say when was winning all those MOCs tho.

Unrelated, DiPietro was good but I'd take Paul Pearson over him when both were in their prime.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    My top 5: (quickly of the top of my head)
    Sapunjis
    Poplawski
    Gabriel
    Evanshin
    Elgaard

I too would not count Cahoon. Hell, Pinball is more Canadian than him. Bring back the naturalization rule dammit.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wouldn't have Cahoon on my Canadian list either, but he's in my top 5 all time receivers though. Cahoon and Fantuz were the most sure handed receivers in the last decade or so IMO.

I still think the League needs to tweak the Canadian definition again - IMO Canadian birth certificate or CDN Citizenship are the only two ways someone should be able to be a designated "National". I wouldn't mind seeing the names for National and International changed to Domestic and Import either - makes sense for Beer lol.

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Isn’t Cahoon a duel citizen though?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    As far as I know, Donovan Bailey (to name one sprinter born elsewhere) chose to both live in Canada and become a Canadian citizen. As far as I know, Cahoon never lived in Canada year round and did not take out citizenship. And yet he won the Most Outstanding Canadian award. Go figure. (Bailey and everyone else in ov's list of "equally as Canadian" athletes were not competing for awards presented to the best Canadian -- they were seeking international awards on behalf (proudly) of a country they chose to call home. Somewhat different than anything Cahoon did imo.