Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PHArgofan View Post
    I just figured if UoT MBA program cant sort their own school's football program out how can they fix the Argos. LOL !!!
    I wasn't about to touch York's football team either.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Lets not forget Sask was on the brink of collapse. They held telethons to keep the team alive. Look at them now. All is not lost.

MLSE has deep pockets and a desire to succeed. They've done it with TFC and the Raptors. Its year one with them.

it is not a one or two year process. They would know that. If they dont have a Harvard MBA on board im sure they have Rotman or Queens MBA who know the principles too.
    Yup.
    Good post.
    Good reminder to have patience with this process.

But geez, the first objective to healing an injured patient is to stop the bleeding, and all we have seen is bleeding since the change in ownership and the initial "triage" that was the move to BMO Field.

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Which world-class business school will be first to chronicle the destruction of the Argos brand? Only a slow and methodical effort over a 35 to 40 year period could have brought this franchise, and the league it plays it, to its knees.

Recent efforts have been arguably the most effective to date. They include:

1. Fire all senior management and replace with a single part-timer. In the process, lose key support personnel.
    2. Slash sales force and support it with a part-time staff.
    3. Radically reduce marketing budget. Get those cost controls in place immediately.
    4. Halt all pre-existing brand efforts and wait a year or two before instituting replacement efforts.
    5. Hire outside think-tank to review the situation and put that on indefinite hold.
    6. Ultimately leave it outsiders to attack the local market/customers to place the blame.

Have I missed any key ingredients to this long term?

Waiting for someone to write Jerry Maguire's Mission Statement" https://youtu.be/zDbV2-tZgbg
    We can learn a lesson from Rogers and the Blue Jays. They have sold that team on every media outlet 24/7. They still do it. They have elevated this team above the Argos in the city's mind. We haven't had that for the Argos in this city for a long time. There was nobody doing it. There is no difference in the quality of the athletes or exciting games we watch in the CFL. In fact I would think that would be in Argos favor. I don't know what Rogers did you would call it Brainwashing but it's close.

I will be at the Thursday night game - not going to let the team down when they are on the bottom

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Strange that the Argos are in decline in Toronto, whereas in Vancouver - the most comparable market - the Lions just keep getting stronger...
    David Braley’s Vision?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I'm a Schulich MBA grad -- where would you like me to start?

- Porter's Five Forces
    - SWOT analysis
    - 5 P's of Marketing

I forgot the rest already
    I am a Schulich MBA grad too.... so those that know me would challenge the fact that the school is world-class if I was able to graduate... but here's another to add to your list:

Supply and Demand. As far as the Argos go, we have the former, but are critically lacking in the latter.

If anyone really wanted to do a legitimate business case study, the Ottawa Redblacks resurgence would be compelling. They sure seem to have done everything right, and have made TD Place the place to be. If I had a say, I would embed some of the Argos staff in Ottawa to really see what they did and what if anything we could duplicate here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I am a Schulich MBA grad too.... so those that know me would challenge the fact that the school is world-class if I was able to graduate... but here's another to add to your list:

Supply and Demand. As far as the Argos go, we have the former, but are critically lacking in the latter.

If anyone really wanted to do a legitimate business case study, the Ottawa Redblacks resurgence would be compelling. They sure seem to have done everything right, and have made TD Place the place to be. If I had a say, I would embed some of the Argos staff in Ottawa to really see what they did and what if anything we could duplicate here.
    OSEG made Lansdowne Park an entertainment hub, fixing up the hockey arena, and stadium, while adding restaurants, bars and a Cineplex to the formerly popular site that used to host the Ottawa Exhibition. Made the area a 'go to' place for entertainment, even when there is no game on. Mlse already runs BMO and Ricoh (Coca-cola now), on Toronto's formerly popular exhibition grounds (I say formerly because the ex ain't what it used to be). The immediate area also has the Ontario Place site (including Cinesphere and the Budweiser Stage) as well as the Queen Elizabeth Theatre and Medieval Times. It seems to me that if you cleaned up the area a bit and added a few permanent bars and restaurants, you could have quite an entertainment attraction there. It's already a hub for a lot, but it's disjointed and not the place to be if you aren't already attending an event there. Synergy between the venues and connection by strategically locating bars and restaurants throughout the site. I realize this is much bigger than the Argos, but all stakeholders would benefit, and if anyone has the clout to drive a thing like this, surely it's MLSE.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:

Level
    Lansdowne in Ottawa is also close to the trendy Glebe area, kind like the CNE area is close to Toronto's trendy Liberty Village...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PullTogether73 View Post
    Yup.
    Good post.
    Good reminder to have patience with this process.

But geez, the first objective to healing an injured patient is to stop the bleeding, and all we have seen is bleeding since the change in ownership and the initial "triage" that was the move to BMO Field.
    also to remember that the top brass have said it will take a decade (starting this year) to fix the problem. They also have set a goal of "hopefully" increasing crowd sizes by 1500 per game per season. We have ownership with a very long term view so we should also have the same.

I have a neighbour that used to go to games. I asked him if he was going to go back since tix were only $20 and he always said he'd love the team at an outdoor stadium. Well his reply was "That's $20 more than I got tix for before."

It'll take a decade folks. No point getting all anxious every week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think we're in about the 20th year of various three-to-ten-year-long plans to rebuild attendance.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    I think we're in about the 20th year of various three-to-ten-year-long plans to rebuild attendance.
    I don't agree, Steve. I can't recall any ownership group, going all the way back to Ornest, that said anything other than "we will bring the fans back quickly." Certainly the Bell-Tanenbaum group said it. Braley never said anything that implied any sort of challenge. C&S talked big and delivered (albeit with papered houses). Schwarz talked big. TSN/Labatt suggested things would be turned around in a year or two. McNall et al said they expected to sell out right away. Ornest said his team played in the world's greatest stadium and people would flock to see it. Before that was Carling O'Keefe, which bought the team when it was successful at the gate.

One can make a great case that a long, slow build should have been the approach as far back as 1994, but I don't think any owner since then said that publicly, and I don't think any of them believed it secretly, either.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    OSEG made Lansdowne Park an entertainment hub, fixing up the hockey arena, and stadium, while adding restaurants, bars and a Cineplex to the formerly popular site that used to host the Ottawa Exhibition. Made the area a 'go to' place for entertainment, even when there is no game on. Mlse already runs BMO and Ricoh (Coca-cola now), on Toronto's formerly popular exhibition grounds (I say formerly because the ex ain't what it used to be). The immediate area also has the Ontario Place site (including Cinesphere and the Budweiser Stage) as well as the Queen Elizabeth Theatre and Medieval Times. It seems to me that if you cleaned up the area a bit and added a few permanent bars and restaurants, you could have quite an entertainment attraction there. It's already a hub for a lot, but it's disjointed and not the place to be if you aren't already attending an event there. Synergy between the venues and connection by strategically locating bars and restaurants throughout the site. I realize this is much bigger than the Argos, but all stakeholders would benefit, and if anyone has the clout to drive a thing like this, surely it's MLSE.
    Yes they are kind of similar areas but Liberty Village is very close and full of trendy bars and restaurants. No need to put in restaurants and bars beside BMO when Liberty is already there.

As for getting fans back by offering "cheap" tickets, that hasn't worked because that is not the problem in Toronto. This is rich Toronto where fans pay big bucks for entertainment including Raptors/Leafs/Jays/TFC. Look at the prices people pay for season tickets to the other teams. Very few of the "cheap" tickets were sold last game and still looks like thousands available for next weeks game. The cheap tickets aren't selling because pricing is not the problem.
    Whats the problem? I'm sure MLSE/Argos and their marketing department have been trying to figure this out for a couple of years, if they knew what was wrong and it was an easy fix they would do it.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Hello slimjim
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well, OK. Maybe I should have said "we're in the 20th year of trying seemingly obvious solutions that aren't working", including

• fancy halftime shows
    • better schedule
    • move outdoors
    • move to BMO
    • tailgates
    • lower prices
    • sign some big names
    • get out in the community
    • just win

As a long time fan it's really hard to sit back and just hope that MLSE's long term plan will turn things around when we've seen so many things that haven't helped.
    Last edited by shayman; 07-24-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Another sad story about Argo attendance with a description of some of the problems but few hints at solutions:

There is always optimism about the Argos and new ownership. The problem is, once the optimism wanes, the reality rarely changes. On the day the team was officially sold from David Braley to Larry Tanenbaum and Bell Inc., there were smiles everywhere. They were moving to a great new stadium. They were finally heading outdoors. This was going to change things, so many said. Tanenbaum predicted a run on tickets and sellouts and all that good stuff. New ownership always thinks that way at the beginning with the Argos.
    The transition to BMO Field, from indoor to outdoor, from stale environment to football environment, was to be like the return of football in Ottawa, where time stopped when the Redblacks played.
    This kind of move worked in Montreal when football came back, works in Hamilton now with Tim Hortons Field, was a back-to-the-future play intended to return to when football moved the needle in this town.

I bought the pitch. I’m probably the right age for it — with a memory of days gone by. I bought season tickets and tried to turn back the clock. I invited friends to join me. We got a group together as large as 26 season-ticket holders the first year and wanted in early because demand was going to be high.
    That’s what we thought. ...

Our group had 26 the first year. It shrunk to 16 the second year. It’s 12 now.
    There is no single reason why customers didn’t return. But there was a sentiment: If I can buy a ticket for any game at any time, why should I buy for all the games? ...

Maybe the 10,000-plus fans they announced on Saturday afternoon after a crowd of around 12,000 the week before is supply-and-demand at its most telling. The Argos have a supply of tickets available at a reasonable price by today’s ticket standards of entertainment products. There just isn’t any demand for them. And a truth we have seen in other markets with other teams and other leagues when the wall is struck and there is no place to go: You can’t make people care about what they don’t care about. ...
    They won the Grey Cup last November. That’s two championships in six years in a place where championships are rarely won. It didn’t move the turnstiles at all. ...

Pushing tickets isn’t something MLSE does with any kind of regularity or need. They operate mostly high-demand franchises. ...

What’s the answer? MLSE hasn’t found one, neither did Tanenbaum or Braley or Howard Sokolowski or David Cynamon or Sherwood Schwarz or Harry Ornest or Bruce McNall in partnership with Wayne Gretzky and the late John Candy. That’s 10 owners in 29 seasons. Each of them believing they would be different.
    We’ve talked about getting more kids in the park, turning to families, turning to the various ethnic communities of Toronto, turning to the high schools, turning to the young adults of Liberty Village — we’ve talked about all of that. Probably a lot more.
    https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...wing-argonauts

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Lion attendance has been on a more or less downhill slide since 1986 when it peaked at an 46,637 average with occasional resurgences, mainly in the Bobby Ackles return years. This year there has been a very slight uptick from an 19,858 average in 2017 to 20,182 average so far.

https://stats.cfldb.ca/team/bc-lions/

they had 26,000 STH 5 years ago ... now around 15,000.
    Vancouver is a bandwaggon city. Winning is all that matters

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipyard View Post
    they had 26,000 STH 5 years ago ... now around 15,000.
    Vancouver is a bandwaggon city. Winning is all that matters
    Source ?

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Lets not forget Sask was on the brink of collapse. They held telethons to keep the team alive. Look at them now. All is not lost.

MLSE has deep pockets and a desire to succeed. They've done it with TFC and the Raptors. Its year one with them.

it is not a one or two year process. They would know that. If they dont have a Harvard MBA on board im sure they have Rotman or Queens MBA who know the principles too.
    the raison d'etre for mlse is to make $ - full stop
    when was the last time leafs won a cup ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    First time with owners that'll own them that long and longer.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    We can learn a lesson from Rogers and the Blue Jays. They have sold that team on every media outlet 24/7. They still do it. They have elevated this team above the Argos in the city's mind. We haven't had that for the Argos in this city for a long time. There was nobody doing it. There is no difference in the quality of the athletes or exciting games we watch in the CFL. In fact I would think that would be in Argos favor. I don't know what Rogers did you would call it Brainwashing but it's close.

I will be at the Thursday night game - not going to let the team down when they are on the bottom
    'not going to let the team down when they are on the bottom'
    seems that is exactly what shapiro loves and to use your word 'brainwashed'

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    corporate owners = death
    basille, where r u ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    First time with owners that'll own them that long and longer.