Thread: James Franklin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I think MBT got a good start on playing himself out of a job last night. Sorry, but the only signs he showed me were u-turns.
    MBT was off last night, no doubt, but I don't see how any qb, from any league would have success with that pass rush breathing down on him. No run game to keep the opposition honest. Not surprised at the results.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    MB-T will probably start on Saturday. After 5 good games he'll get an opportunity to show whether or not the 1/2 against Calgary was an aberration. He should be on a shorter leash though.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

New Fan
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    MBT was off last night, no doubt, but I don't see how any qb, from any league would have success with that pass rush breathing down on him. No run game to keep the opposition honest. Not surprised at the results.
    The offense had shown glimmers of competence in the Touchdown Atlantic game, the Labour Day Classic and the win against Ottawa. So the result Friday was disappointing. I was certainly hoping for better: it just seemed Green, Walker and Edwards were clicking with MBT and gave me optimism that the team had turned the corner.

The Trestman offense seemed to feature more screens and flare passes (a quasi-running game, if you will) that I haven't seen much of this year. The threat of those types of plays can slow the pass rush, at least in theory. Full back Declan Cross, for instance, had 10 & 8 yard averages and about 2 receptions a game in 2017 and 2018. Only 4 receptions in 6 games this year with an average under 7 yards.

If Calgary's Rogers didn't have so many drops (or at least drops on potential big plays) the result would've been much worse. I think the biggest weakness of the Argos team this year has been pass defense - lots of big pass plays against.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    MB-T will probably start on Saturday. After 5 good games he'll get an opportunity to show whether or not the 1/2 against Calgary was an aberration. He should be on a shorter leash though.
    When does Franklin get that same consideration? He lost his starting job to an injury, after our HC promised him in the off season that he was the starter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    In the last game, comparing MBT to Franklin, Franklin demonstrated a quicker release, more accuracy with the deep ball and more mobility. Though he was facing pressure, he was more effective in avoiding that pressure. Is that a one game situation only? We will only know, if Franklin is given the starting role over the rest of the season. The season is a bust and the team must discover what they have in Franklin.

MBT has impressed me with his determination, coolness under pressure and his rugged approach to the game. However, IMO, those characteristics are not enough to enable him to be a first class starter in the CFL. But----he might be, a more than capable backup QB for the team

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    When does Franklin get that same consideration? He lost his starting job to an injury, after our HC promised him in the off season that he was the starter.
    Agree with this 100%. MBT has been given many more games to gain the experience that have allowed him to have some success. IMO, Franklin has not been given that same consideration... more like he's had the rug pulled out from under him. Even when he was struggling last year, the team should have stuck with him, especially if they believed he was the future... but instead, they got desperate and made the switch and by the time Franklin got back in towards the end, the season was all but over. Same thing this year... he got injured and then was never given that chance to show what he really had. I still believe he will be a big success in the league, but it likely won't be with the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Great news! Hopefully it's not to little to late.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    I hope he catches fire and lights it up like Vernon Adams has in MTL.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Showcasing him to try and trade him wouldn't surprise me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Showcasing him to try and trade him wouldn't surprise me.
    Sadly it wouldn't surprise me either. For whatever reason they seem to love MBT.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    Even when he was struggling last year, the team should have stuck with him, especially if they believed he was the future... but instead, they got desperate and made the switch and by the time Franklin got back in towards the end, the season was all but over. Same thing this year...
    Yeah, it sure feels like a repeat of last year. The Argonaut version of Groundhog Day. It is insanity defined -- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

What a bloody waste of all of our time. Everything we know about Bethel-Thompson we already learned last year. There was no need to go through it all again. This is a player who tantalizes with flashes of brilliance -- we saw that last year too. Most of the time he's a serviceable QB, neither good nor bad. And then there are times when he's truly abysmal, making mistakes a college QB shouldn't make, let alone a seasoned veteran.

We already saw this movie last year, and we were forced to sit through the damn thing all over again this year. I've said it before and i'll say it again: I hope I never see this guy taking another snap in an Argos uniform ever again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    In the last game, comparing MBT to Franklin, Franklin demonstrated a quicker release, more accuracy with the deep ball and more mobility.
    That TD pass was a thing of beauty, exactly the kind of pass that MBT can't deliver, a timing pass with some zip 40+ yards downfield.

It gave us a taste of the chemistry between Franklin and Walker -- which they developed in Edmonton -- that we have sadly missed out on so far this season. But it gives us as least something to look forward to in the last six games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's amazing to me how when Franklin was starting the majority of the fan base thought he sucked. Then when MBT starts Franklin is great. I have always wanted Franklin to be given a good run at starter, but at the same time feel MBT out played him when given a chance. I still like both guys and will support whoever is the starter. Argos problems IMO are not QB related.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    It's amazing to me how when Franklin was starting the majority of the fan base thought he sucked. Then when MBT starts Franklin is great. I have always wanted Franklin to be given a good run at starter, but at the same time feel MBT out played him when given a chance. I still like both guys and will support whoever is the starter. Argos problems IMO are not QB related.
    But at this point of season, can anyone really be too upset that they might want to get one more long look at Franklin and maybe increase his trade value?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    But at this point of season, can anyone really be too upset that they might want to get one more long look at Franklin and maybe increase his trade value?
    Not surprising and makes sense, altho it basically means they have thrown in the towel on making a playoff run. Showcase him or (unlikely IMO) give him one last stab at showing if he's worth offering a new contact to.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    No, if that is in fact the reason they are starting him. They could also be starting him because they really want to extend him, or they feel he lost his job due to injury but because MBT was playing well, they were going to ride him. Just because writers think they are showcasing a player doesn't make it fact.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yeah, it sure feels like a repeat of last year. The Argonaut version of Groundhog Day. It is insanity defined -- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

What a bloody waste of all of our time. Everything we know about Bethel-Thompson we already learned last year. There was no need to go through it all again. This is a player who tantalizes with flashes of brilliance -- we saw that last year too. Most of the time he's a serviceable QB, neither good nor bad. And then there are times when he's truly abysmal, making mistakes a college QB shouldn't make, let alone a seasoned veteran.

We already saw this movie last year, and we were forced to sit through the damn thing all over again this year. I've said it before and i'll say it again: I hope I never see this guy taking another snap in an Argos uniform ever again.

Just look at how many teams MBT has played for. He is not a competent QB. I am not even sure that he's a competent backup. Weak arm, bad decisions, poor vision, etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue90 View Post
    Just look at how many teams MBT has played for. He is not a competent QB. I am not even sure that he's a competent backup. Weak arm, bad decisions, poor vision, etc.
    I think your a little harsh. He’s definitely a competent backup. The team seems to improve and have spark every time he comes in. That’s exactly what you need from someone that your not paying starters money. I do agree that he has played many years for many teams and that debunks the thought that he’s finally “getting it”. I would be fine if he’s one of our backups.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue90 View Post
    If you think he has a weak arm, then you don’t know squat about QB’s.