Thread: James Franklin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

James Franklin

So a few weeks ago TSN ran a piece about how James Franklin had only thrown 1 interception in his CFL career. Since then he's thrown 6 & only 2 TD.
    Last edited by Neely2005; 07-28-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Growing pains for sure.
    He's been in the league awhile I guess, just his first time as a full-time starter.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Franklin isn't the first and won't be the last QB travelling a bumpy road in transitioning from backup to starting.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    If Franklin continues to be the starter, then Trestman needs to call plays the moves around the pocket, and let's Franklin run the ball. In either case, I'd sit Franklin, not that I think lead foot is better, but I think the longer Franklin's been out there; the worse his decisions have been getting. May end up getting into his own head.

I would not be surprised to see Bethel Thompson out there next game though, whether a starter or not. I'm actually shocked that Trestman didn't go to him sooner, Trestman continually brings up that Thompson is just as good.......... So let's see.

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Growing pains for sure.
    He's been in the league awhile I guess, just his first time as a full-time starter.
    he stinks - he playrd worse than last week

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ricky Ray didn't look very good before his injury, and got killed every game the past 2 seasons. So I don't think its entirely on Franklin. There isn't much around him. Line and receivers aren't exactly playing superbly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Ricky Ray didn't look very good before his injury, and got killed every game the past 2 seasons. So I don't think its entirely on Franklin. There isn't much around him. Line and receivers aren't exactly playing superbly.
    Exactly, Franklin getting no help from the O-Line or his receivers (who scare nobody with their speed).
    Argos need to tweak this offence to suit his skillset to help him regain some confidence.
    He is young and needs time.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Exactly, Franklin getting no help from the O-Line or his receivers (who scare nobody with their speed).
    Argos need to tweak this offence to suit his skillset to help him regain some confidence.
    In this context I have no worries about Franklin. It's the context that concerns me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yeah Ray didn't look good out there either. The Offensive line isn't helping and neither are the receivers. Edwards and Green were sure handed last season, and now they can't catch a cold. Every CDN receiver not named Coombs has been inconsistent at best. I think Smith looked okay again though. In saying that, IMO we've got nothing, maybe the worst receiving group in the League.
    Last edited by R.J; 07-28-2018 at 01:02 PM.

New Fan
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

Thumbs up

Ricky still good enough to win the Grey Cup last year.
    P.S. Franklin is crap.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Yeah Ray didn't look good out there either. The Offensive line isn't helping and neither are the receivers. Edwards and Green were sure handed last season, and now they can't catch a cold. Every CDN receiver not named Coombs has been inconsistent at best. I think Smith looked okay again though. In saying that, IMO we've got nothing, maybe the worst receiving group in the League.
    They need something beyond Green, Edwards and Rodney Smith. The return of Coombs would be very helpful. I also think that they need to get another international into the receiving corps. I know that a certain poster on here won't like this but it doesn't appear as though either Levi Noel or Malcolm Williams are ready for primetime. I know that poster will complain that they aren't being targeted but I am guessing that they aren't being targeted because they aren't getting open.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaumaris View Post
    Ricky still good enough to win the Grey Cup last year.
    P.S. Franklin is crap.
    My spidey senses are tingling............... How many more aliases do you have to go through slimjim ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    If Franklin continues to be the starter, then Trestman needs to call plays the moves around the pocket, and let's Franklin run the ball. In either case, I'd sit Franklin, not that I think lead foot is better, but I think the longer Franklin's been out there; the worse his decisions have been getting. May end up getting into his own head.

I would not be surprised to see Bethel Thompson out there next game though, whether a starter or not. I'm actually shocked that Trestman didn't go to him sooner, Trestman continually brings up that Thompson is just as good.......... So let's see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    What is Franklin's skillset? Is he really that mobile a QB or much more suited as a pocket passer. Here are some revealing stats that a fan on Twitter put together:

Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    What is Franklin's skillset? Is he really that mobile a QB or much more suited as a pocket passer. Here are some revealing stats that a fan on Twitter put together:

Not saying he should be running around like Tracy Ham but how about moving the pocket around a little, especially with a mediocre at best O-Line and a bunch of receivers who can’t seem to get open.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    We may have to come to the conclusion that the O-line and receivers played above their heads last year. Was last year a final hurrah for SJ? Is Armanti Edwards better as a #3 or 4 option than a #2 option? I'm starting to come to the conclusion, and Paul Woods has pointed this out on more than 1 occasion that Tyler Holmes is not the player we hoped he would be. The left side of the Argos line has been brutal, and Holmes seems to really get pushed back a lot. Also have to say, coaching has been well below par. Beyond me how you can get a nice TD drive in which James Wilder did the bulk of the work to pull to within 13-7, then not give him the ball once on the next 3 possessions.

And to the guys that are just saying that Franklin stinks, get a clue. I'm sure you all wanted Brandon "I can't complete a pass beyond the line of scrimmage" Bridge to be signed. Or maybe in one posters mind, Jerome Messam could be a QB/RB super back all in one. Despite the fact that he's finished as productive back.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post

Sigh....... I knew someone would post this sooner rather than later.
    Ravi I suggest you take a look at who's right behind Franklin on the list. Bo Mitchell is quite possiblly the best pocket QB in the CFL, but when you watch game tape you see how well he moves in the pocket. May not be fast, but he's athletic and fluid. Mike Reilly is not far behind Franklin and Mitchell and yet we all know he can run when need be. I don't recall anyone saying that Franklin was fast, just good on his feet, and has been shown to move the pocket, and scramble for a few yards when needed.

Interesting how Manziel is one of the lower numbers, and yet there's a video on tsn.ca showing the Montreal QB's working on a foot speed drill - guess who was the slowest ?

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Was last year a final hurrah for SJ?
    I'm surprised that this is the first time I've seen something like this. I was thinking to myself last game, is it time to move on from SJ Green? We may not have someone in place to replace him at this point but he's no where close to being where he was last season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm surprised that this is the first time I've seen something like this. I was thinking to myself last game, is it time to move on from SJ Green? We may not have someone in place to replace him at this point but he's no where close to being where he was last season.
    SJ really seems to have lost a step, both running and jumping. Where are those circus catches we saw before? As far as Franklin goes, I think patience is the key. I don't see B-T doing any better, though to put him in to give Franklin a break, here and there, is probably a good idea. Also, use Prukop for short yardage like we used Fajardo last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I wonder if some fans where expecting the Franklin that had a huge game against the Argos in the 2016 season finale in Edmonton? If so that would not be realistic. I was expecting better results thus far especially with Trestman and Calvillo coaching him. However, I still feel he will be a solid qb in the league for years to come.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sigh....... I knew someone would post this sooner rather than later.
    Ravi I suggest you take a look at who's right behind Franklin on the list. Bo Mitchell is quite possiblly the best pocket QB in the CFL, but when you watch game tape you see how well he moves in the pocket. May not be fast, but he's athletic and fluid. Mike Reilly is not far behind Franklin and Mitchell and yet we all know he can run when need be. I don't recall anyone saying that Franklin was fast, just good on his feet, and has been shown to move the pocket, and scramble for a few yards when needed.

Interesting how Manziel is one of the lower numbers, and yet there's a video on tsn.ca showing the Montreal QB's working on a foot speed drill - guess who was the slowest ?
    Bingo, we have a winner👍
    Simply looking at the “measurables” would be foolhardy, watching game film often tells you more.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions