Thread: James Franklin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I will continue to ignore won/loss statistics until the end of time. So will Ricky Ray, and the voters who will put him into the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility.

But leave stats out of it -- which QB has played better over the last four games played?
    I’m tired of this debate. MBT has played very well the last 4 games. And the losses are not all on him. But it’s been well documented that SJ Green was wide open on the last play in Moncton. MBT locked in on a tightly covered receiver where the DB made the play. We lose. Lack of offensive adjustments and horrible coverage in the second half cost us the LDC.
    And according to Popp’s interview yesterday they’re not giving up on the season. So I expect MBT to start a very winnable game in Ottawa.

Evans, Fajardo, Arbuckle may not have had better stats, but the teams are getting the wins. In part they are all around better teams and the QB’s are not losing games with poor play.

I think this team is more talented than last year…but still not enough to win. Maybe more of that has to do with coaching which has been poor to good throughout the season. (one comparison is Hamilton’s very good coaching made second half adjustments on O to combat the Argo rush, and on D with losing 3 starters)

Once they are mathematically eliminated, then other players should be playing to see what they can do.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Herein lies the dilemma - MBT is neither the cause of, or solution to, the Argos problems.....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    But it’s been well documented that SJ Green was wide open on the last play in Moncton. MBT locked in on a tightly covered receiver where the DB made the play. We lose.
    From the replay it's evident it would have been better to throw to Green on that play. But we would not have been in position to score the winning TD had he not marched the team 90-plus yards in a minute. He didn't cause us to lose the game -- he gave us a chance to win. And again, four passes that should have been caught -- including the last one to Edwards -- were dropped.

Evans, Fajardo, Arbuckle may not have had better stats, but the teams are getting the wins. In part they are all around better teams and the QB’s are not losing games with poor play.
    There is no doubt whatsoever that those are better teams, and I don't disagree with the notion that those QBs are not causing their teams to lose. But neither is MBT. The difference is that breakdowns attributable to others are causing this team to lose.

Maybe more of that has to do with coaching which has been poor to good throughout the season.
    I'd love to know when the good part was.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Nob View Post
    Herein lies the dilemma - MBT is neither the cause of, or solution to, the Argos problems.....
    Kinda where I stand on him.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Green may have been wide open. Too bad MBT wasn't watching on TV or from the stands to see him.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Hard to put a value on “IT” but MBT is a fine person, great teammate, competitive and is good but he lacks “IT” and without “IT”, team is going no where. But I’m not sure what “it” is. MBT just lacks something that the greats have.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In comments today, Popp said MBT is playing very well, Collaros may not or may play play again this season because of his concussion but Popp still wants him for next year, and did not even mention Franklin. While I think MBT deserves a chance to play based on his last four games, I also feel the Argos need to find out what they do or do not have in Franklin. After all they have lost three young QBs in Harris, Collaros and Fajardo who turned into starters for other teams. There have been some pretty good QBs in the CFL who took a number of years to develop. For practical purposes we are all but out of the playoff race and we need to determine which of our young players are most likely to become starters.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Hard to put a value on “IT” but MBT is a fine person, great teammate, competitive and is good but he lacks “IT” and without “IT”, team is going no where. But I’m not sure what “it” is. MBT just lacks something that the greats have.
    How many of the current CFL QBs have "it"? If it's something only the greats have, I would say two: Mitchell and Reilly, one of whose team is going nowhere. And how often do teams up here find QBs who have "it"?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    In comments today, Popp said MBT is playing very well, Collaros may not or may play play again this season because of his concussion but Popp still wants him for next year, and did not even mention Franklin. While I think MBT deserves a chance to play based on his last four games, I also feel the Argos need to find out what they do or do not have in Franklin. After all they have lost three young QBs in Harris, Collaros and Fajardo who turned into starters for other teams. There have been some pretty good QBs in the CFL who took a number of years to develop. For practical purposes we are all but out of the playoff race and we need to determine which of our young players are most likely to become starters.
    Be realistic -- there is no way this will even be considered until the team is mathematically eliminated. "For practical purposes out of the race" does not apply when there is still a mathematical chance. Teams do not throw in the towel when there is a chance, and playing a guy you rate lower for purposes of evaluation would amount to throwing in the towel.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    How many of the current CFL QBs have "it"? If it's something only the greats have, I would say two: Mitchell and Reilly, one of whose team is going nowhere. And how often do teams up here find QBs who have "it"?
    Adams might have it. If we had Nichols or Harris and had their respected records, I still think Argo fans (online at least) would not be satisfied and would want to run them from town too. I'm definitely in the middle with MBT. Criticism is fair, especially with accuracy or on field vision but I also think the criticism has gone too far.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Be realistic -- there is no way this will even be considered until the team is mathematically eliminated. "For practical purposes out of the race" does not apply when there is still a mathematical chance. Teams do not throw in the towel when there is a chance, and playing a guy you rate lower for purposes of evaluation would amount to throwing in the towel.
    Read my comment carefully. I said MBT deserves to start. I said for practical purposes the Argos are out of the playoff picture. I did not say Franklin should start
    the next game. My concern is that Popp seems to be overlooking Franklin and jumping to Collaros who Popp
    admits may not even play this year and whose concussion history suggests he may not last long if he does come back. Is the team going to lose another young QB who became a starter for other teams as they have with Collaros, Harris and Fajardo?
    Last edited by jerrym; 09-05-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes, MBT has played well enough to have won games, recently. That is if he had a good team around him. However, the crucial question is " would we be confident if he was our starting QB next year?" If the answer is anything but a confident, " yes", then the team must determine if one of our present QB's could be that starting QB. If not the team has some serious shopping to do in the off season

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Heaven help this franchise if we go to camp with the same QBs next year and have another deplorable year.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Kinda where I stand on him.
    Exactly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Yes, MBT has played well enough to have won games, recently. That is if he had a good team around him. However, the crucial question is " would we be confident if he was our starting QB next year?" If the answer is anything but a confident, " yes", then the team must determine if one of our present QB's could be that starting QB. If not the team has some serious shopping to do in the off season
    I agree. I have not given up on the notion that James Franklin may still turn out to be a high calibre QB in the CFL... I just don't think it will be with the Argos. There are so many different dynamics to this situation, but for whatever reason, it does not appear that the football stars will ever align for him here. As I don't believe MBT is the answer, it is time to move on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    As I don't believe MBT is the answer, it is time to move on.
    Move on to whom? I can't see the Argos simply walking away from MBT without a suitable replacement in hand.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Didn’t Jim Barker clean house of the QBs after 2011 and fire himself as HC? He got Ricky Ray, but could have started the season with Jurias Jackson at QB with unknowns Trevor Harris and Zach Collaras as backups. It can be done. The #2 QBs in Winnipeg and Calgary will be available.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Didn’t Jim Barker clean house of the QBs after 2011 and fire himself as HC? He got Ricky Ray, but could have started the season with Jurias Jackson at QB with unknowns Trevor Harris and Zach Collaras as backups. It can be done. The #2 QBs in Winnipeg and Calgary will be available.
    After two years of Cleo Lemon-Steven Jyles-Dalton Bell, etc, etc you well know that with the 100th being in Toronto that it was impractical that the Argos would've gone into 2012 with Jarious Jackson as their starter.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    After two years of Cleo Lemon-Steven Jyles-Dalton Bell, etc, etc you well know that with the 100th being in Toronto that it was impractical that the Argos would've gone into 2012 with Jarious Jackson as their starter.
    If it wasn’t Ricky Ray, it sure wasn’t going to be any of those three. I can’t think who else in the league was available. Brailey sure wasn’t throwing money around either.

I’m just saying it doesn’t have to be MBT and/or Franklin. What’s the downside of leaving this chapter behind? Certainly not a worse record.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I seem to remember, at the time, that most people's focus / expectations in Toronto was that the Argos would be pursuing Henry Burris. He had been pushed out by Drew Tate at that point. Nobody thought that Ricky Ray was available, which made it even more the shocking when we learned about the trade. I still remember calling my father and telling him that the Argos had a QB and he automatically said Burris and was surprised when I told him it was Ricky Ray.

Jarious Jackson was signed after Ray was acquired, and the Argos had also brought in Ricky Tafralis (I think), but he retired prior to training camp. IIRC, Zach Collaros was not signed until after camp had started. I don't recall when Harris was brought aboard, but it was before Collaros.