Thread: James Franklin

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    We may have to come to the conclusion that the O-line and receivers played above their heads last year. Was last year a final hurrah for SJ? Is Armanti Edwards better as a #3 or 4 option than a #2 option? I'm starting to come to the conclusion, and Paul Woods has pointed this out on more than 1 occasion that Tyler Holmes is not the player we hoped he would be. The left side of the Argos line has been brutal, and Holmes seems to really get pushed back a lot. Also have to say, coaching has been well below par. Beyond me how you can get a nice TD drive in which James Wilder did the bulk of the work to pull to within 13-7, then not give him the ball once on the next 3 possessions.

And to the guys that are just saying that Franklin stinks, get a clue. I'm sure you all wanted Brandon "I can't complete a pass beyond the line of scrimmage" Bridge to be signed. Or maybe in one posters mind, Jerome Messam could be a QB/RB super back all in one. Despite the fact that he's finished as productive back.
    Not an unreasonable question at this point.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    We may have to come to the conclusion that the O-line and receivers played above their heads last year. Was last year a final hurrah for SJ? Is Armanti Edwards better as a #3 or 4 option than a #2 option? I'm starting to come to the conclusion, and Paul Woods has pointed this out on more than 1 occasion that Tyler Holmes is not the player we hoped he would be. The left side of the Argos line has been brutal, and Holmes seems to really get pushed back a lot. Also have to say, coaching has been well below par. Beyond me how you can get a nice TD drive in which James Wilder did the bulk of the work to pull to within 13-7, then not give him the ball once on the next 3 possessions.

And to the guys that are just saying that Franklin stinks, get a clue. I'm sure you all wanted Brandon "I can't complete a pass beyond the line of scrimmage" Bridge to be signed. Or maybe in one posters mind, Jerome Messam could be a QB/RB super back all in one. Despite the fact that he's finished as productive back.
    Bridge has zero touch on short passes - he throws with heat every time.

I don't think Franklin sucks or anything, but may need a breather even if it's only for a quarter or something.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    A win over the Rough Riders on Thursday.... Oops, I mean RedBlacks will go a long way to turn those frowns upside down. RedBlacks. I gotta remember that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Bridge has zero touch on short passes - he throws with heat every time.

I don't think Franklin sucks or anything, but may need a breather even if it's only for a quarter or something.
    Bridge also has a very unusual throwing motion.
    Franklin will be a good QB in this league.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I don't doubt it about Franklin. He's a young QB and clearly there are some growing pains. Offensive line and receivers aren't helping him either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't doubt it about Franklin. He's a young QB and clearly there are some growing pains. Offensive line and receivers aren't helping him either.
    Suspect O-Line and mediocre group of receivers doesn’t make it easy on a young QB.
    Let’s see what Thompson can do, O-Line better be dialed in on Thursday.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Suspect O-Line and mediocre group of receivers doesn’t make it easy on a young QB.
    Let’s see what Thompson can do, O-Line better be dialed in on Thursday.
    While I think Franklin needs a bit of a breather; I'm not sold on Thompson. Lead foot and heavily overrated arm, but hey at least he's the pocket QB Trestman loves.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    While I think Franklin needs a bit of a breather; I'm not sold on Thompson. Lead foot and heavily overrated arm, but hey at least he's the pocket QB Trestman loves.
    Wonder what happens if he sh*ts the bed?
    Perhaps Angelo’s point is correct, last years O-Line and receivers played above their normal capabilities?
    Proves you need to enjoy championship seasons when they happen.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Bridge seems to have resorted to a side-arm sort of motion - to play it safe on the short passes he is only allowed to throw by the dumb@$$ Rider coaching staff ?

Bridge is looking tentative and unsure in that wimpy Rider offence; maybe sort of like Franklin is looking at times in a wimpy Argo offence (and both Os have very suspect O-lines and a limited talent receiving corps). Franklin threw 3 picks last game; Bridge did not. The last 2 games as starter - Bridge has the better completion %, has thrown 1 TD to zero interceptions. compared to Franklin's 0 TDs & 4 picks; and Bridge has at least one win.

I believe Franklin can become a very good CFL QB too; but the hype for him being this star starter in waiting was just that and unfounded. Now that i've seen Franklin play some more, Bridge is the better QB talent IMO; but I believe both could be quality starters in the CFL - at least on half way intelligent offences.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 07-29-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Bridge seems to have resorted to a side-arm sort of motion - to play it safe on the short passes he is only allowed to throw by the dumb@$$ Rider coaching staff ?

Bridge is looking tentative and unsure in that wimpy Rider offence; maybe sort of like Franklin is looking at times in a wimpy Argo offence (and both Os have very suspect O-lines and a limited talent receiving corps). Franklin threw 3 picks last game; Bridge did not. The last 2 games as starter - Bridge has the better completion %, has thrown 1 TD to zero interceptions. compared to Franklin's 0 TDs & 4 picks; and Bridge has at least one win.

I believe Franklin can become a very good CFL QB too; but the hype for him being this star starter in waiting was just that and unfounded. Now that i've seen Franklin play some more, Bridge is the better QB talent IMO; but I believe both could be quality starters in the CFL - at least on half way intelligent offences.
    I don't really get the somewhat prevalent distaste for young Canuck QB Bridge. He's got youth, size, and a strong arm. He'll be fine, if he isn't already.

As for Franklin, as I've indicated, I've no worries about him either. First and foremost, this new starting QB is tasked with quarterbacking the worst team in the league, whose assembly and direction are sub-standard.

Why these things are so, I'm not sure, however the results and disposition of the team are plain to see.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

I wonder if Bridge's passport has anything to do with your thoughts here, because I think you've got this backwards.
    Bridge has zero touch on his throws, a simple 5 yard throw he's guns it like it's a 60 yard bomb. Bridge has less picks because he takes less chances - did he even throw one 15+ yarder last game ?
    Admittedly Bridge has no OL or play calling help, but Franklin has no help anywhere; that to me is a big difference.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    I wonder if Bridge's passport has anything to do with your thoughts here, because I think you've got this backwards.
    Bridge has zero touch on his throws, a simple 5 yard throw he's guns it like it's a 60 yard bomb. Bridge has less picks because he takes less chances - did he even throw one 15+ yarder last game ?
    Admittedly Bridge has no OL or play calling help, but Franklin has no help anywhere; that to me is a big difference.
    You might have missed Bridge's play-off performance last year against the Argos, but whatever.

Bridge has a rocket for an arm and has already shown he can gun some deep passes in the CFL (on a number of occasions in playing time last season); he is also very big & mobile. As Argo says above - it might be difficult to understand some "prevalent distaste" towards Bridge - by a lot of trained seal CFL "fans"; i get it though. Bridge is being severely hampered by a limited, wimpleton offence (that McAdoo is a joke for an OC), plus ego head HC Jones jerking him around and showing next to no confidence in him; the same ego-clown who laid out big bucks to sign Zac Collaros - who has lost the huge majority of his past CFL starts - and hand him the starting job.

Again - IMO - both Franklin & Bridge are very promising young CFL QB talents; i could see them both doing very well in a smart and diverse offence that takes advantage of their skills.

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

i agree on bridge bing better than franklin
    i cannot that 1/2time interview on tsn during the 1st 'peg game in which he was all smiles and said was 'happy'
    all the while he is the starting qb and his team is down by 13
    i dont think he has the 'killer instinct' to be a winner

Banned
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    You might have missed Bridge's play-off performance last year against the Argos, but whatever.

Bridge has a rocket for an arm and has already shown he can gun some deep passes in the CFL (on a number of occasions in playing time last season); he is also very big & mobile. As Argo says above - it might be difficult to understand some "prevalent distaste" towards Bridge - by a lot of trained seal CFL "fans"; i get it though. Bridge is being severely hampered by a limited, wimpleton offence (that McAdoo is a joke for an OC), plus ego head HC Jones jerking him around and showing next to no confidence in him; the same ego-clown who laid out big bucks to sign Zac Collaros - who has lost the huge majority of his past CFL starts - and hand him the starting job.

Again - IMO - both Franklin & Bridge are very promising young CFL QB talents; i could see them both doing very well in a smart and diverse offence that takes advantage of their skills.
    big difference is that bridge is cdn and a local gta boy - marketers dream ! and argos could have had him for ZERO when als released him
    sign messam [who took a paycut this yr] and now u have cross and bridge behind the ball - all of them
    cdn !!!!
    tell me that cant be sold to the fan base ?
    and that frees up import spaces on the team !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by macspectrum View Post
    big difference is that bridge is cdn and a local gta boy - marketers dream ! and argos could have had him for ZERO when als released him
    sign messam [who took a paycut this yr] and now u have cross and bridge behind the ball - all of them
    cdn !!!!
    tell me that cant be sold to the fan base ?
    and that frees up import spaces on the team !
    And don't forget, Messam scored 2 TD's in last year's Grey Cup game. 🤐

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    And now he's available. Hallelujah!
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Oh well, his availability didn't last long. Maybe now we can stop hearing about how signing him would have been the answer to all of our prayers.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I'm surprised that this is the first time I've seen something like this. I was thinking to myself last game, is it time to move on from SJ Green? We may not have someone in place to replace him at this point but he's no where close to being where he was last season.
    *cough*

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    With today's announcement of B-T starting, I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.
    In starting him, I hope the dink and dunk stuff goes out with Franklin.
    We have to attack vertical.
    As for the crowd on Thursday, all bets are off and I suspect a new low bench mark of under 10K may be involved?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I noticed a weaker arm than I expected. I had heard he wasn't strong armed, but he had too many routes coming back on long shots and some of our receivers aren't experienced enough to deal with that adjustment properly, yet.
    Hustle hit and never quit