Thread: James Franklin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don’t expect it. My hunch is he will be looking for a fresh start next year and think he’ll be in Ottawa. MBT is the undisputed starter here and I expect will be next year if he continues his most recent play.

**Edit: I misunderstood.. that you were talking about Franklin. I agree with you.
    I should have been more clear, yes I was talking about MBT.
    The other wildcard is Trestman being a big MBT fan and possibly bringing him to the XFL.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Argos need to sign him!
    But who gets him to sign? I doubt Popp will be back. A new GM may want another pending FA qb. Does MBT reunite with Trestman? I did not think I would ever say this, but ya, I want MBT back next season. Looks like he is starting to get the CFL game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    With teams in the NFL keep signing him he must have something going for him. I think where they say a NFL arm they mean accuracy beside arm strength because of the tight windows down there. CFL QB's have to have the strong arm but don't have to be quite as accurate because of extra room. A good example of that would be MBT.
    From what you say about Callahan maybe he is the guy Popp should be trying hard to sign.
    But it is starting to look like they will have to re sign MBT to go a long with Collaros. I think it's a case of who else would be available that's any better. Will Prukop ever develop into a starter? He's been here something like three years and they don't seem to think he can play. O'Conner may be able to play some by next year and maybe somebody like Callahan will be brought in. I like the Canadian QB Nathan Rourke at Ohio but he will probably go the NFL route first.
    MBTs NCAA career is a mystery to me. I think he threw a total of 8 TD passes. I know he played for UCLA and Sacramento State, both sparingly, but not sure if he was injured or what the story was. But yes, the NFL sure gave him lots of looks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I should have been more clear, yes I was talking about MBT.
    The other wildcard is Trestman being a big MBT fan and possibly bringing him to the XFL.
    Agreed, but he won’t be free to sign in the XFL until after their season has started. If he continues to play well, Argos need to sign him before he becomes a FA.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    But who gets him to sign? I doubt Popp will be back. A new GM may want another pending FA qb. Does MBT reunite with Trestman? I did not think I would ever say this, but ya, I want MBT back next season. Looks like he is starting to get the CFL game.
    If the plan is not to renew Popp, it’s unlikely he’ll have the green light to commit the team to 2020 contracts.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I predict Popp isn’t going anywhere.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    If the plan is not to renew Popp, it’s unlikely he’ll have the green light to commit the team to 2020 contracts.
    Pretty much a moot point since re-signing players hardly ever happens during the season.

I think management hasn't decided on Popp's fate, and has put no restrictions on him. Would be a really stupid move if they did.

Boatman
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think where they say a NFL arm they mean accuracy beside arm strength because of the tight windows down there. CFL QB's have to have the strong arm but don't have to be quite as accurate because of extra room.
    That's pretty much how I interpret it too. Quick release might be a little more important for a starting QB in the NFL too. I like that talented QBs that don't fit the NFL mould can be successful in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Can Jennings and Franklin Resurrect Their Careers:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/09/13/berg-v...rrect-careers/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    My guess is Franklin has a better chance of turning things around but it probably won’t be in Toronto.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    My guess is Franklin has a better chance of turning things around but it probably won’t be in Toronto.
    Yeah I think that you're right. Unfortunately he'll probably be yet another former Argonauts quarterback that ends up being a successful starter for another CFL team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    The more MacBeth, as they call him, keeps playing steady eddy football now going down the stretch you have to wonder if Franklin can be moved for some kind of asset before the trade deadline. Jim Popp keeps saying they're not trying to trade anyone (translated we really are but don't want our opponents to think we are) Lol
    So what could they expect to get for James Franklin who obviously hasn't had the confidence of his Head Coaches in his two years here. I (as a arm chair GM) would be tempted to see if Edmonton would give up the rights to Offensive Lineman Justin Senior who they drafted a couple of years ago. Senior who is a FA and was also drafted in the 6th round by Seattle hasn't played much in the last three years counting 2019. Had a good career at Mississippi State as a three year starter at RT, but apparently has been found wanting as a pass blocking Tackle in the NFL. Could maybe be more effective at Guard. Has good size at a listed 6'5 330 and is still only 25 years old. Worth a try there Jim. Bomben will be 33 next year and seems to be showing some wear and tear this year. Holmes will be 31 and has had his struggles pass blocking while McEwen might decide to go home to Calgary when his contract is up. Jamal Campbell looks like he has been given the RT spot for now and he should only get better with playing time.
    They have OT Maurice Simba out of Concordia on the PR and possibly OG Eric Starczaia out of Guelph will be brought back for another look next year. Ryan Hunter is in the pipeline, but is now on the Chiefs 53 man roster so I would forget about him and if he shows up in a couple of years it would be a bonus. #1 pick Shane Richards will be given every opportunity to start somewhere next year and I hope he pans out, but he hasn't shown much so far. They haven't kept him on the 6 game all year because he was badly injured IMO.
    I don't know how badly Harris is hurt out in Edmonton but Maas must be a little nervous looking ahead to the Eastern Playoffs with no real veteran back up. Argos Canadian O Line depth looks a little thin looking down the road, so IMO a deal is there for the making. With maybe a late round conditional draft pick thrown in one way or another.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Until the Argos are mathematically eliminated, don’t do anything to make Edmonton stronger.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Until the Argos are mathematically eliminated, don’t do anything to make Edmonton stronger.
    I believe there is three more games before the deadline. I don't think Franklin would make Edmonton stronger, but we won't tell them that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I believe there is three more games before the deadline. I don't think Franklin would make Edmonton stronger, but we won't tell them that.
    Franklin is also the only QB that has success in short yardage. No coincidence that with him dressed again the Argos haven’t punted on 3rd and a foot situations. Prukop didn’t do a good job in those situations. If they do trade Franklin, maybe give O’Connor a shot at short yardage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I really hoped Franklin would thrive here. As it stands today, Franklin turned down an extension last year, so I think he simple wants out. A trade might get us something but not a lot with him being a FA. It really depends on the severity of Harris’s injury.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I understand Popp’s thinking about not making moves. In the CFL with the 1 year contracts trading established players with an eye on the future makes no sense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It is increasingly likely that MBT will be the No. 1 QB next season. Obviously there's still lots of time for him to play himself out of the job, but he is showing more and more signs each week of being a more than capable starting QB in this league, and I don't expect that to change as the season moves along.
    I think MBT got a good start on playing himself out of a job last night. Sorry, but the only signs he showed me were u-turns.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If Franklin or the Argos have no intention on re-signing him, is there even a point in having him start?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    If Franklin or the Argos have no intention on re-signing him, is there even a point in having him start?
    I don’t think you can think that way. Have to win games and give players hope for next year. Not that your wrong though, they are basically giving him experience to help one of the other 8 teams. That’s the CFL. I think a team will benefit by having Franklin settle for back up pay next season, thanks to the Argos mess.